Four Wheel Camper Frames

BajaCamper

Has anyone had problems with there frames on their camper? Mine has broken twice. After the the first repair and our first camping trip the frame on the door and the frame around the door cracked. Now the frout of the frame around the window is broken:mad: .

What year is your camper? What happens exactly when the frame breaks? I have never had any problems with mine.

It's a 2000 Here are some photos

Attachments

• KPI1 001.jpg
    KPI1 001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,401
  • KPI1 003.jpg
    KPI1 003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,448
  • KPI1 016.jpg
    KPI1 016.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,404
  • KPI1 017.jpg
    KPI1 017.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • KPI1 018.jpg
    KPI1 018.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,401
I am not seeing any cracked or broken "frames" in your pics. I believe what we are seeing are stress cracks in the aluminum siding. My camper has a couple of these too. I have not repaired mine yet, but intend to seal them with sikaflex. The siding is very thin and tends to crack at door and window corners. Do you have any pics showing broken "frames" ? Or is it just what we see in these photos?
Cheers
Mark

No I don't have any photos of the frame, this is what it looked like the first time that the frame was broken. So if it happen again it has to be broken. I don't want to take off the camper because the last time I did floor fall off the camper while raising it off the truck. I want it at the factory before I remove it. I sent four whell campers a letter but haven't had a word yet.The cracks are bigger this time. The photo that have the mirror to show the crack happen this Monday with no off road driving. if you have those cracks your frame is broken too. just pull off the door frame and you will see them!
I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. It has less then 1500 miles on it since the repair. It took four years the first time for cracks to show up. This time it happen on our first trip after the repair.

just pull off the door frame and you will see them!
I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem.

That might be worth your trouble to take a look outback and see whats going on in there.

No I don't have any photos of the frame, this is what it looked like the first time that the frame was broken. So if it happen again it has to be broken. I don't want to take off the camper because the last time I did floor fall off the camper while raising it off the truck. I want it at the factory before I remove it. I sent four whell campers a letter but haven't had a word yet.The cracks are bigger this time. The photo that have the mirror to show the crack happen this Monday with no off road driving. if you have those cracks your frame is broken too. just pull off the door frame and you will see them!
I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. It has less then 1500 miles on it since the repair. It took four years the first time for cracks to show up. This time it happen on our first trip after the repair.

Very interesting, just to clarify: is it the door and window frames that were broken or the actual frame of the camper?

Now you have got me worried!
Mark

The frame of the camper and the frame of the door. here is a picture of the frame on the doordoor

Attachments

• KPI1 010.jpg
    KPI1 010.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,416
  • KPI1 011.jpg
    KPI1 011.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,382
Frame is broken

I pulled the door off and found that only one side of the frame has been welded. If you have cracks above your door or at the front window bring it in for repairs. See photo

Attachments

• KPI1 036.jpg
    KPI1 036.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,374
  • KPI1 039.jpg
    KPI1 039.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,390
  • KPI1 040.jpg
    KPI1 040.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,346
Update with Frame issues

I just wanted to give all you an update! Jason at four wheeler wants me to bring it back to the factory in woodland. Hopefully they will warranty the first repair. They went above and beyond what they needed to repair last time!!!!!
We really like the camper and want to keep it. It's nice and light and works great for what we use it for!

I'll keep you all posted.

Glad to hear that FWC is going to stand behind the repair for you. Just wanted to add a blurb that in all the years that I was with FWC we never had this type of problem with a camper. Some of the older models would have a cracked door frame and we fixed that by beefing up the door frame with larger alluminum pieces on the frame.

To be honest it sounds like the welder was having a bad day when they repaired yours the first time.

:D I just wanted to let everyone know that FWC fixed my frame problems! No charge!
Tom is a real stand up guy!

frame problems

To be honest your the first I have heard of having those types of problems on one of our old campers. Sounds like our welder was having a bad day and should go over the camper. I would think though that after a repair it should have held. I hope FWC takes care of it for you. If they don't, let me know and I'll see what we can do for you. With Jeff welding everything right now, I know you wouldn't have a problem. Just a matter of taking off most of the skin though and checking the rest of the welds to make sure they are ok.

I would like to see some pics of the corners of your pickup truck bed, at the rear where the tailgate has been removed and in the corner junction between the bed floor and the upright sheet metal. Do you have flex fatigue cracks in the sheet metal of your truck bed body leading to the corners on both sides?

Four Wheel Camper Frames Repair

Hello Baja Camper.
Yes, many years ago I had problems with the frame of my Keystone camper breaking. At the time we were travelling on many frame twisting/wracking off road trails.
It took it's toll on the camper frame. And even to the extent it tore out the bed mounts on the truck itself. All of which required reinforcing and repair.
But... back to the camper frame. I do not know if your failure mode is the same as that I experienced. In my case it was primarily the front frame of the camper, directly behind the cab. The frame would break, and the obvious sign was the severe wrinkling/tearing/buckling of the outer aluminum skin.
The frame was failing at all of the welded joints. My first thought was to simply have the frame re-welded. We tried. But...re-welding "thin wall" aluminum tubing that's already torn and damaged proved extremely difficult to do effectively. It also occurred to me that the welded joint was failing in the first place because it was TOO rigid. The frame tubing itself could "flex" but the rigid welded joint couldn't. my solution was this. Instead of re-welding the broken joints I made up L angle brackets out of .093/.125 thk. aluminum, and the same width as the tubing itself. I then placed one of these "L's" on either side of the joint and secured them to and with whatever adjoining tube member/ply paneling there was with two #10 machinw screws and nylon lock nuts per leg of the L. The theory behind this being that the joint would be securely held together but would still be "flexible". It was time consuming, tedious work, but worth it in the long haul. It has worked now without failure for some 17-18 years of the same kind of trailing. Another "very importan" point. The aluminum skin has to be able to move as well with the flexing of the frame. When you replace any of the skin DO NOT simply run the self tapping sheet metal screws through both the skin and the frame. You have effectively created a "shear panel" and this you do when you want to make a panel "rigid" NOT when you want it to flex/move. Spot your fastening holes, then make the holes in the camper skin itself at least 1/16" bigger, that only 1/32" a side clearance, than the diameter of the screw, and use washer headed screws if you have to. Secure the skin. What this allows is that the frame can move, taking the screw with it, without the screw tearing the hole in the skin. which can lead to the buckling and wrinkling of the outer skin. The screw has to be able to move around in the hole in the skin. All of this occurs on a very small, almost imperceptible level, but trust me, it happens.
GOOD LUCK with your repairs.

Back
Top Bottom