Four wheel camper in bear country

I'm surprised that no one has mention it, but my first line of defense is a boat horn. You can get them small enough to pack (or big enough to find in the dark), they are very loud, they are not a natural sound that wild bears will hear.

I have a cousin that is a fishing guide on the Kanai penisula in Alaska and this is his claim 'If I see a bear getting too close I will use the boat horn. If it flees, all is OK. If not, it is planning to charge. It gives me a few seconds to prepare.' He sees lots of bears and has a few encounters every year. He laughs at the mention of bear spray; says it is for city dwellers who have seen too many 'Grizzly Adams' re-runs.

If you decide to carry lead spray, make sure it is big enough and you can shoot it accurately while under high stress.

jim

JaSAn said:
I'm surprised that no one has mention it, but my first line of defense is a boat horn. You can get them small enough to pack (or big enough to find in the dark), they are very loud, they are not a natural sound that wild bears will hear.

I have a cousin that is a fishing guide on the Kanai penisula in Alaska and this is his claim 'If I see a bear getting too close I will use the boat horn. If it flees, all is OK. If not, it is planning to charge. It gives me a few seconds to prepare.' He sees lots of bears and has a few encounters every year. He laughs at the mention of bear spray; says it is for city dwellers who have seen too many 'Grizzly Adams' re-runs.

If you decide to carry lead spray, make sure it is big enough and you can shoot it accurately while under high stress.

jim

True dat! While this is a topic akin to debating motherhood and apple pie; I am on the side of lethal force if indeed you life is on the line.

When kayaking in SE Alaska I never left the boat without my Winchester Marine 12ga..1-1/4oz slugs and magnum 00 buck...yes, I practiced a lot; dry firing and range time...drove neighbors crazy to see my golden retriever that I had trained to hand signals on a sit-stay 20 yds from me then I would give him the come signal while I dry-fired the 12ga at him as he ran to my left side for a heal...

No easy and one size fits all when in a critical stressed situation but drilling for eventualities does increase the odds for success. If I ever had to, and I never did, shot a bear, then I had screwed up. I put myself in harms way; the bear didn't.

When I ride my dirt bike in MT/WY/Id and Canadian Rockies I do carry bear spray...but have very little trust in it notwithstanding the pundits who do trust in it...to me it is a feel good Dumbo's feather...

So while inside a FWC....."ya' pays your money and takes your chances" ...but fear two legged predators more than four legged ones..

Of course i could be wrong.... :)

Phil

Good point JaSAn. I had forgotten about that and probably a good idea to take while backpacking for a variety of reasons. One thing to keep in mind, the sound can echo off the tree line if you are in an open area. That happened to me many years ago while on a kayaking trip. The first blast and the bear turned away from me. The second blast and the bear turned back toward me as he was confused by the direction of the sound. Luckily. He waited for a few moments and turned back towards the woods.

Bears have an amazing sense of smell. So clean as possible camp, cooking outside of camper when possible (who wouldn't want to be outside cooking over a fire, anyway?), and trash accumulation / management is important. I try to plan meals that generate little or no trash. Be aware of wind direction and where the aroma of food cooked outside is going, too. It is blowing into your camper?

My unscientific personal opinion is that you are asking for trouble if you leave what they can smell where they can see it, also. Hide everything. Bottom line is that if there is food around, they have smelled it. I had a stash hung in a tree that a bear climbed up to, chewed through the rope, let drop to the ground and then ate everything. Southern CA, Ventura county, remote area very rarely visited by humans. Had a bear dig up a buried stash once, too. All canned goods in a plastic bucket, gamma seal lid. Chewed up every can and sucked all the food from them. Again, unhabituated bears in rarely human visited areas in SoCal.

If a bear smells it and wants it, they'll get it. Your job is to minimize smells, hide everything, and make it difficult or painful to get to.

When all that fails, I like the sound deterrent method. I have successfully deterred bears by banging pans together. I have also shouted at them or fired a gun in the air. I think I like the bear spray idea, too. Read a study of bear attacks once that suggested bear charges where spray was used resulted in fewer injuries and zero fatalities. Not so with firearms (more serious injuries and fatalities). Bears are tough critters. I carry a 41 mag. and am proficient with it. But the bear in my photo took four 30-06, 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets to stop (shot angle, not placement, played a part, for you hunters out there). And I wasn't scared or panicked and the bear wasn't charging or trying to hurt me. Just sayin'...

I've had a moose prancing around late one night but thankfully no bears. We cook outside as much as possible and get rid of the garbage/ or stored as far away from us when done!

It depends on the specie of bear.

There are several National Parks (US) in Griz country that only allow hard sided campers/travel trailers; no FWC-style campers allowed. Likewise, a few Canadian parks erect tall fences around campgrounds where Griz has been a problem.

I left my camper folded down and latched for a weekend at the end of a remote road. When I came back the first thing I saw was the door laying in the road. I expected to see a demolished camper when I looked inside but NO. On the ground in front of the door was my can of bear spray that I left by the front door. Apparently the bear had pried the door off and the first thing he saw was the bear spray. He bit into it thinking it was a can of pop. It must of exploded in his mouth. I lucked out with just having to buy a new door. YES they can pry an aluminum door open real quickly.

bike4mee said:
I left my camper folded down and latched for a weekend at the end of a remote road. When I came back the first thing I saw was the door laying in the road. I expected to see a demolished camper when I looked inside but NO. On the ground in front of the door was my can of bear spray that I left by the front door. Apparently the bear had pried the door off and the first thing he saw was the bear spray. He bit into it thinking it was a can of pop. It must of exploded in his mouth. I lucked out with just having to buy a new door. YES they can pry an aluminum door open real quickly.
Great story. Note to self- leave bear spray inside camper door, haha. We were tent camped in a wilderness area one time and had a bear visit while were sleeping. Food was safely hung but we had left a couple water bottles and an empty aluminum Sigg fuel bottle outside the tent by the fire ring. Each had a nice hole punched in it from the bear's bite. Can't imagine the fuel bottle smelled like food but no matter- bit it anyway.

We are off to the Yukon and AK... I will have spray and do the practice can.... but I tell you my wife is a bit freaked out. I am hoping for the best and ...praying the worst don't happen but hey....life is a chance...probably more likely I'll get smooched by a logging truck.
(Being an old math teacher that is why I do not play the lottery)

Buckland,

Other than the Russian River, you are unlikely to even see any bears. And don't worry about logging trucks, we hardly have any trees worth cutting. I do usually see a lot of bears on the Alcan though!

Ya my route is from Top of the world highway down then Campbell highway (Yukon) to Cassiar Highway....

Keeping things clean is the most important like everyone has stated. I think a lot of it has to do with where you park too. I personally wouldn't leave my clean camper at the end of some remote trailhead, at least in the greater yellowstone area. If there are people around on a daily basis then you'd probably be ok, but bears are very good at getting into things when no one is around, IF they are around. I've heard of several instances where they got into horse trailers at remote trailheads to get the oats inside, and a horse trailer is a steel box not an aluminum and plywood camper.

As far as bothering you when you're in the camper, depends on the bear I guess. I've found fresh tracks in the morning around my campsite but nothing was disturbed. The only problems i've had are out hiking or hunting and either startling one or in one case them actively pursuing me while on foot. A warning shot is quite effective and i'd imagine an air horn would be too, as long as you can defend yourself after his fight or flight decision has been made. Bear spray would rarely work on the east slope of yellowstone because it is almost always windy, but I carry that too as well. I'll always carry a sidearm in the backcountry or have one in the camper after seeing the effectiveness of a warning shot. If that doesn't work, I've got 4 more rounds for him and one for me hahaha.

WyoIDI said:
Keeping things clean is the most important like everyone has stated. I think a lot of it has to do with where you park too. I personally wouldn't leave my clean camper at the end of some remote trailhead, at least in the greater yellowstone area. If there are people around on a daily basis then you'd probably be ok, but bears are very good at getting into things when no one is around, IF they are around. I've heard of several instances where they got into horse trailers at remote trailheads to get the oats inside, and a horse trailer is a steel box not an aluminum and plywood camper.

As far as bothering you when you're in the camper, depends on the bear I guess. I've found fresh tracks in the morning around my campsite but nothing was disturbed. The only problems i've had are out hiking or hunting and either startling one or in one case them actively pursuing me while on foot. A warning shot is quite effective and i'd imagine an air horn would be too, as long as you can defend yourself after his fight or flight decision has been made. Bear spray would rarely work on the east slope of yellowstone because it is almost always windy, but I carry that too as well. I'll always carry a sidearm in the backcountry or have one in the camper after seeing the effectiveness of a warning shot. If that doesn't work, I've got 4 more rounds for him and one for me hahaha.
What size sidearm do you carry. Just wondering as I often hear that a pistol will not stop a bear. Not a gun owner at present and not anxious to become one but I have several friends that do and are either policemen or retired policemen that have offered to assist if I have any interest. The other issue I have is with carrying firearms across state lines. Seems like a real pain to have permits for half the country. Anyway. Thanks for the posting.

rltports said:
What size sidearm do you carry. Just wondering as I often hear that a pistol will not stop a bear. Not a gun owner at present and not anxious to become one but I have several friends that do and are either policemen or retired policemen that have offered to assist if I have any interest. The other issue I have is with carrying firearms across state lines. Seems like a real pain to have permits for half the country. Anyway. Thanks for the posting.

Wow..that is an "apple pie and motherhood" topic..lots of mall ninjas out there and this will fan the flames... but talk to someone who has spent a lot of time [not one fishing trip...] in the Alaska bush co-existing with grizzly/brown bear and they will say the same thing...handguns, regardless of the caliber, are not reliably going to stop one of these bears... Teddy bears? Perhaps. Relying on a handgun to protect you against a bear attack is the same as "taking a knife to a gun fight".....

Handguns are meant primarily to stop two legged predators...

Phil

Good thread. Very interesting to read bike4mee's post about the rear door - first case I've heard of. Thanks to "him" for posting it.

I'll just add two things that haven't been mentioned yet. First, is a bear banger as noise maker (we carry both air horn and a pistol type banger). Second, if a bear becomes a concern around while you're sleeping inside is the option of leaving the site. As a rule we set up camp in such a way that we can depart quickly if the need arises. Won't work for everyone and it's not always practical for us plus the pop up makes it less than ideal. But where possible we believe it's can be a useful strategy - and it works for people also.

JaSAn said:
<snip>
I saw a tip about zip-tying a boat-horn to the bear-spray holster a few years ago and did this...

BearSpray.jpg

The boat horn is an Attwood Signal Horn from Walmart. The photo makes it look pretty big but it's about six inches high overall and the canister is an inch and a half in diameter.

Wallowa said:
...handguns, regardless of the caliber, are not reliably going to stop one of these bears... Teddy bears? Perhaps. Relying on a handgun to protect you against a bear attack is the same as "taking a knife to a gun fight".....

Handguns are meant primarily to stop two legged predators...
I agree with you 100%, but carrying a long gun on a hike in the lower 48 is problematic, to say the least. First, it complicates your interaction with other hikers and you will probably be reported to authorities by someone you meet. Second, it is hard to deploy when needed unless carried in the reddy condition and makes you look like you are on patrol in 'nam. The speed of deployment is directly related to the awkwardness of carry. I've never found a accessible carry method that doesn't screw with my back (heavy weigh on one side).

I carry the biggest handgun I can handle reliably (.44 mag.) in a pouch similar to the Safepacker, quickly available but hidden from sight. Not ideal, but the best compromise I can come up with for a confrontation that is statistically remote.

I couldn't find the quote (and I am butchering it badly) "Your sidearm is to be used to fight your way to your battle rifle"

jim

JaSAn said:
I agree with you 100%, but carrying a long gun on a hike in the lower 48 is problematic, to say the least. First, it complicates your interaction with other hikers and you will probably be reported to authorities by someone you meet. Second, it is hard to deploy when needed unless carried in the reddy condition and makes you look like you are on patrol in 'nam. The speed of deployment is directly related to the awkwardness of carry. I've never found a accessible carry method that doesn't screw with my back (heavy weigh on one side).

I carry the biggest handgun I can handle reliably (.44 mag.) in a pouch similar to the Safepacker, quickly available but hidden from sight. Not ideal, but the best compromise I can come up with for a confrontation that is statistically remote.

I couldn't find the quote (and I am butchering it badly) "Your sidearm is to be used to fight your way to your battle rifle"

jim

Jim,

Good points. In a "danger close" environment you remove your sling to eliminate the option of a shoulder carry; correct on getting the firearm into the fight 'in time'. Current crops of carbines use a tactical sling that can be put into action very fast. I will add that few folks with firearms really practice under stressed conditions, if they practice at all.

Regardless of caliber unless you are accurate under a variety of conditions you best chance will be to use it as a club.

Now Jim I will challenge that a .44 mag can be "hidden from sight".. :D I am also a fan of the .44 [which is not light for a reason] and of course many others!

Phil

I'm not a gun expert but I believe a .357 magnum will have deeper penetration and it's easier to shoot and more accurate than a .44 magnum.

Back
Top Bottom