Four Wheel Camper Total Cost of Ownership

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
.... or TCO for short. People are often surprised when I tell them the cost of a new FWC. However, given the durability of the camper (long life), high resale value, and improved fuel economy over larger, heavier campers, I'm wondering how a TCO comparison would go with other types of campers. I'm betting FWC fares pretty well.

For those that have used larger, heavier truck campers, can you tell me what the decrease in MPG is compared to the FWC unit? Can you think of other factors that would impact the TCO analysis?

I Can Think Of A Couple

For one, a heavier camper will in time, use up brakes faster, put more stress on the driveline (wheel bearings, U joints, trans.) As for fuel milege, my truck with shell, 17mi gal. hiway, with camper 15-16 mi. per gal.

I had a 9.5' alpinlite camper that tipped the scales at about 3200 lbs loaded. With a lot of off road ( very slowly) and about 150000 miles ( lot of towing at 10k lbs) my 97 f250 had cracked (all the way) the frame over the rear axle. I also replaced front end parts and transmissions on a regular timetable. No driveline issues, but tires only lasted 18-20k . Milage went from 12-13 empty down to 10.5-12 with the camper a 7.3L with 4.10 gears and auto trans.

I'm thinking in comparision, I won't know the Hawk is even on board.

IMO anything more than a FWC or comperable is too much for backcountry travel.

From a different view

It cost me about $3k each year to treat the wife to 11 days in Mexico, "all inclusive". I haven't ciphered it out yet, but I expect the same money to buy a bit more real Mexican time in the Hawk. First cost could be considered, but every project needs seed money and I'm only going to live once and I don't know for how long anyway. Some wise camper says to slow down and enjoy the journey and I'm going with that good advice. I would also add something I heard Jerry Jeff Walker say, "Never let a day go by."
Enjoy

As I intend plenty of off-pavement use, I'm hoping the ATC TCO is much less than a "cheaper" unit.

Fuel economy dropped from 15.5 to 13.5 mpg (diesel) with the camper. The Panther is about 4" wider than the Hawk, don't know how much aerodynamic difference that makes...

Back
Top Bottom