Frame to lift camper. . .

tnscoots

Advanced Member
Hi Everyone,

Like so many of us who acquire older campers to mount in newer trucks, I too must make a 1 1/2 inch high frame to sit the camper on so it clears the side rails of my 2012 Tacoma; similar to this one:

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/rpbelmont34/FWC%20Hawk%20Work/2012-07-02_11-42-34_929.jpg

The question I have is whether or not to screw it directly to the bottom of the camper it's self; rather than have the frame sit in the bed of the truck. Would there be anything wrong with this idea? If not, then it would certainly mean that I won't have to store the frame somewhere when the camper is off the truck, and it would be easier, I think, to settle the camper back into the truck. Please chime in on this as I'm at a perfect stage in my restoration to do this. I'll be writing up my project and posting pictures when time allows. Right now I'm consumed with the many tasks and having fun too. I'm working on a '98 Ranger Shell that I bought in Dallas last May, for 800 bucks. I found it a bit ironic that the jacks I purchased to get the camper off the owner's truck and into mine cost half that amount.
Cheers,
Tom

Hey Tom,
I recognize that picture! :D

I attached my frame to the camper. I did not want the possibility of it shifting around separately when going down dirt/washboard roads. I attached it with light gauge metal plats screwed to the side of the frame and camper plywood.

Good luck, and looking forward to checking out your restoration. Its time for me to start working on the outside. :cool:

Tom,
I am new to the world of slide in camping but I picked up a 2" 4x8 sheet of hard insulation from home depot and it seems to work great so far. I like the idea of it also proving some insulation to the bottom of the camper.
Danadog.

I would definitely screw it to the bottom of the camper and throw some insulation in there while you are at it!

I agree with JBahr. I screwed the frame directly to the outside perimeter of the bottom of the camper. I also put two pieces of wood across, acting as joists to support the floor of the camper. Doing this makes the height adjustment part of the camper, eliminating something loose sitting in the bed of your truck when not using the camper.

Good Camping,

Paul

We are going to have to add 3" to the bottom. Does anyone have pictures of how you attached to the bottom? I like the idea of making a frame and adding insulation. Thanks for the help!

I'd strongly recommend using preservative treated wood. Under the camper against the bed is one of those places likely to spend time wet.

Were it me I'd attach the frame to the floor. And insulate, though some airspace in the frame for airflow and drying out is probably a good idea.

I needed additional space for my camper to fit into the new style Chevy bed, the one with the rounded corners. Strips of pressure treated wood glued on the bed high points did the trick. I used a silicone adhesive to keep them in place, and as Walt said it gives airflow and drying ability for the bottom.

We've decided to order a new FWC instead of making a platform.They customize them for different trucks. We want it for the long haul and this will be simpler all around- less chance of rot, coming loose, damage, etc.

I have an older camper (85 Palomino) on a newer Tacoma also. I needed an additional 1"+ of height to just clear my cab roof. Since I take my camper on and off frequently I went for a sheet of 1 1/8" plywood cut to closely follow the shape of the bed so it moves very little. I also worried about the new composite beds wanting to fail at a point load so the sheet of ply does a great job of distributing weight. Little bit of pain in the rear at loading/unload process but not too bad. I like the idea of a better insulated floor since it sounds like your camper is on the truck full time.

Back
Top Bottom