Free 2D CAD

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
All-

I've been using DoubleCAD XT ever since upgrading to a Win 7 computer, because my ancient AutoCAD LT 98 won't install.

It's a little bit gadgety, but it's free and it loads *.dwg files. I don't know how long they're going to be able to keep giving this away, so get yours now and learn how to use it later.

I have Microstation and Inroads as my cad program. I installed it at home but because using it at work way too much I never want to use it at home.

Well, the reason I mentioned it is because Sketchup has moved away from free support of *.dwg and *.dxf files. The only thing a pencil supports is paper.

Mark, I appreciate the post on this software. Not looking forward to learning something new on the old computer, but every time I've taken the time it has proved to be of value as long as I make good initial decisions. Again, thanks.

Well, the reason I mentioned it is because Sketchup has moved away from free support of *.dwg and *.dxf files. The only thing a pencil supports is paper.

Long time pencil supporter here.

The free CAD arena just got another boost recently... Dassault Systemes has introduced DraftSight.

If I was part of a larger engineering organization, or had the extra money, I would have definitely owned a Solidworks license by now (I have an Alibre license instead) and the intuitive quality of their freeware UI shows why their expensive 3D software is worth the money.

Comes in Windows, MAC and Linux varieties. check it out, if you want...

The free CAD arena just got another boost recently... Dassault Systemes has introduced DraftSight.

If I was part of a larger engineering organization, or had the extra money, I would have definitely owned a Solidworks license by now (I have an Alibre license instead) and the intuitive quality of their freeware UI shows why their expensive 3D software is worth the money.

Thanks! I have an educational version of AutoCad 2012 3d - it is pretty cool and handy, but costs a bavillion dollars to go legit.

Cool. Thanks for this link for Mac / Linux users.

Back
Top Bottom