Front and side panels

Cruiser79

Hi everyone,

I am still looking around for a pop up camper to replace my sixpac hard side camper. I really like the concept of the alaskan campers, but I am wondering how the side and front panels are sealed. On the videos it looks like you just have to push them in place. How are the side panels locked and how are they sealed to make them waterproof? It seems to me they are absolutely waterproof because there are a lot of old alaskans in good shape on the internet!

Kind regards from Holland

Sent from my D5503 using Wander The West mobile app

It may depend on the year, but my '84 you flip up the front panel first. Then you flip up the sides. Mine had little rollers on the upper front corner of the side panels that rolls up over a bery small brass ramp on the front panel. Once the side panels are up there are dead bolts that lock into the front.

I forgot to mention the seal. The panels are sealed with the same piece of rubber Pirelli seal that seals the top when it's down. Mine also had carpet like material that closed the gap, I thought it was added by a owner, but was told it came from the factory. In my case the carpet always got wet and caused rot

Cruiser79 said:
Hi everyone,
I am still looking around for a pop up camper to replace my sixpac hard side camper. I really like the concept of the alaskan campers, but I am wondering how the side and front panels are sealed. On the videos it looks like you just have to push them in place. How are the side panels locked and how are they sealed to make them waterproof? It seems to me they are absolutely waterproof because there are a lot of old alaskans in good shape on the internet!
Kind regards from Holland
One of the most pleasant things life is to be in my '72 Cabover when it is raining barrels outside. I am as dry as cornflakes inside. A bit about weatherstripping - I have some rubber weatherstripping I put in the gaps next to the cabover panels, and keep a bag full of strips of bubble wrap and other plastic bags & stuff them into any area that might cause a draft or allow mosquitos to get in. That works fine for me

Ripperj said:
I forgot to mention the seal. The panels are sealed with the same piece of rubber Pirelli seal that seals the top when it's down. Mine also had carpet like material that closed the gap, I thought it was added by a owner, but was told it came from the factory. In my case the carpet always got wet and caused rot
Thanks for the explanation all of you! Does someone have pictures of the seals and corners of his alaskan?

I just looked, I really don't have anything now, I pretty much ended up building mine from scratch, not quite to the seal point

My Alaskan (2002) cab over pop-up panels are sealed first with a strip of Pirelli (rubber), then inside that is compressed carpet in the small gap for thermal/draft sealing (compressed when closed up).
Works well.

Back
Top Bottom