Front Brake Pads

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
The car lot owner had the front brake pads replaced prior to selling the truck. I do not know what were installed. Here's my problem. Whenever I drive on dirt roads the front pads become grabby and squeal. Also, after driving in snow or rain, I find the pads seized to the rotors when I try to move the vehicle the next morning. I have not experienced this before.

Your thoughts on the type of pads that were installed and what should I replace these with?

The pads seizing to the rotors happened to me, too, and I was told it is common with the stock Ford brake pads on Rangers. My mechanic suggested using ceramic brake pads, and they seem to have helped, although I've had the pads stick once since. They are supposed to help with dust, too, although that hasn't been much of a problem for me.

I really like the Hawk LTS pads on my F350. Great brakes that didn't dust or squeal. I have also heard good things about EBC's.

Jack

Thanks for the information, that gives me places to do some research. I notice one of the EBC pad sets specifically mention dirt roads.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it's kinda sorta related. I've been wondering if it would be worth the big bucks to convert the rear brakes on my Ranger from drum to disc. Any recommendations, or is this worthy of a new thread?

Good question. I have heard of people swapping in a 8.8 rearend out of an explorer with disc brakes. The rear end is a couple of inches wider. I hear that the 2010/2011 rangers come with rear discs. I have not confirmed that. My model ranger came with 31 spline axles and a torsen differential so I'm not much interested in changing the rearend. I also found this:
Rear Disc Kit
unfortunately I don't see available installation instructions to get an idea of the work involved.
I don't know enough about master cylinders or proportioning valves to see if there may be a hydraulic problem and I'd like to see that discussed in instructions. I have seen discussion about swapping in explorer master cylinder if you have problems with a rear end swap.
Bottom line, I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of guy" and my truck currently stops well. $860 for that kit and the labor would end up being costly.

I'd like to be well assured it would be worth it and the new parts have a long dependable life span.

The pads seizing to the rotors happened to me, too, and I was told it is common with the stock Ford brake pads on Rangers.

My '86 ranger did not do this. My '98 did. Brakes would lock completely the first stop sign I came to in the morning after a humid night. My F-150s never did this.

My 1994 never did this, nor did I have a problem with noise and grabiness in dirt. I replaced the front pads on it two or three times, so no Ford pads in it. I assume the pads in my current 2003 are not Ford pads also as they were replaced by an independent shop.

My 1994 never did this, nor did I have a problem with noise and grabiness in dirt. I replaced the front pads on it two or three times, so no Ford pads in it. I assume the pads in my current 2003 are not Ford pads also as they were replaced by an independent shop.

So, I guess the next question would be, are your current brake pads fiber or ceramic? Are the metal threads in the pad copper or steel? The ceramic pads have helped a lot in my case, but, we'll see how it goes as they age.

Good question. I was going to pull them out when I found something to replace them with. I suspect they are metallic. Maybe I'll pull them apart sooner to take a look.

The car lot owner had the front brake pads replaced prior to selling the truck. I do not know what were installed. Here's my problem. Whenever I drive on dirt roads the front pads become grabby and squeal. Also, after driving in snow or rain, I find the pads seized to the rotors when I try to move the vehicle the next morning. I have not experienced this before.

Your thoughts on the type of pads that were installed and what should I replace these with?

When was the last time that the brake fluid was replaced/flushed?

Brake fluid loves to absorb water, and when it does, it will expand and contract depending on it's temperature, which may explain your symptoms.

When was the last time that the brake fluid was replaced/flushed?

Brake fluid loves to absorb water, and when it does, it will expand and contract depending on it's temperature, which may explain your symptoms.

Good call EdoHart. This is something that is often overlooked.

Thanks for all the experienced advice, appreciate it! I will bleed and flush the brake fluid - looks dirty - and put on a set of ceramic pads from our local auto parts store. I'll report after I put some miles on.

Thanks for all the experienced advice, appreciate it! I will bleed and flush the brake fluid - looks dirty - and put on a set of ceramic pads from our local auto parts store. I'll report after I put some miles on.

Just got this done today, now for the test.

FWIW the brake system should be completely flushed with new fluid at least every two years. More often in moist climes like on the Coast.

Yeah, I don't seem to manage it either, but it should be done to get rid of any water that the fluid has absorbed. Brake fluid intentionally absorbs water to keep it from corroding metal brake parts. Flushing the system is good PM practice.

FWIW the brake system should be completely flushed with new fluid at least every two years. More often in moist climes like on the Coast.

Yeah, I don't seem to manage it either, but it should be done to get rid of any water that the fluid has absorbed. Brake fluid intentionally absorbs water to keep it from corroding metal brake parts. Flushing the system is good PM practice.

Will do! Need to go out and find a dusty road now.

I had problems with my brakes grabbing and locking (2001 GMC 1500) after I changed the pads. It was the calipers. Apparently the caliper pistons were made of composite material which deteriorated. Some do, some don't, mine did. This doesn't sound exactly like your issue ski3pin, but thought I would toss it out there.

4llamas, thanks for adding your information. Only thing I found when replacing the pads was that the stainless steel clips/slippers that cover the caliber mount where the ends of the pads seat were very rusty.

Will do! Need to go out and find a dusty road now.

Found many miles of dusty dirt roads. The new brake pads are great, not a bit of noise or grabbiness. Problem is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom