Front Lift Panel R&R instructions needed.

DirtDude

Hello All
I have a 2002 Hawk that has preformed flawlessly all these years until I had the roof replaced in 2017. After that, even though the roof was lifted up all the way, the amount of bow-out on the lift panel required more effort to push the panels to lock position. This in-turn has popped the 8 right hand side rivets. They literally pulled right through the plywood. The wood is not rotted, nor has it ever been wet. A simple 16awg stainless steel strip giving the rivets something to anchor against, rather than the wood, would have mitigated this problem from ever happening.

Do any of you FWC owners have detailed .PDF instructions on how to R&R these panels?

Thank you in advance.

I can't offer you a solution, but I can offer some sympathy. Those original panels were terribly under-designed. I just replaced the ones in my 2001 Grandby with new factory panels. Huge improvement!

Dr Paddle,

What is the cost these days to have the panels replaced? I have one that is degraded but still functional and considering replacing it.

Re-examining the picture I took, it would think that un-bolting the piano hinges on the bottom and top will allow removal. Then drill out the rivets thus releasing the panels from the hings. re-revit new panels in and bolt back up. Of course you will need an extendable interior brace to hold the roof up during the rebuild process. Maybe that Adjustable speaker stand another member uses would work.

The final solution

FWC in Sacramento, as well as their satellite location will loose out of the lift panel replacement. Rancho will not do it and Sacramento wants too much $$ and they can not make me feel comfortable that the resized black panels will be the correct fit. So, All Terrain Campers gets the job. Either way it will cost a couple thousand after 3 days off work, 6.00 gas for 800 miles and the cost of the job.

Let us know how the panels turn out at ATC. I generally do all my own work on my trucks and campers but when my 2001 panels started to degrade and crack I didn't feel like doing the project myself... The guys at the Rancho Cucamonga location did mine with the new black composite panels and solid push bar. They also added the lift struts. I believe it was $2400 out the door in March 2021. Definitely more than I was anticipating but the peace of mind and flawlessly operating system is pretty awesome.

If the lift panels had a coupling device rather than three rivets to bond the front curtain to the panel, I would have done the job myself. It takes two hands to do the job correctly and efficiently. In the older units like mine the hinges bolt on., while the new design is all rivets.

DirtDude said:
The final solution

FWC in Sacramento, as well as their satellite location will loose out of the lift panel replacement. Rancho will not do it and Sacramento wants too much $$ and they can not make me feel comfortable that the resized black panels will be the correct fit. So, All Terrain Campers gets the job. Either way it will cost a couple thousand after 3 days off work, 6.00 gas for 800 miles and the cost of the job.
They did mine years ago... quality and quick turn around.

A few things to consider. If you are going to have the push panels replaced, you might consider replacing the vinyl at the same time. That's what I did and since they had to take the roof off to do the vinyl, it was easy to do the push panels at the same time. Now, if your vinyl is in good condition, it may not make sense but if it's getting worn, just do them both.

DirtDude said:
I have a 2002 Hawk that has preformed flawlessly all these years until I had the roof replaced in 2017. After that, even though the roof was lifted up all the way, the amount of bow-out on the lift panel required more effort to push the panels to lock position.
Sounds like they clamped down the vinyl too tight when reattaching?

Yesterday, I had ATC install a new front lift panel and added struts. The entire job took 1.5 hours and was done flawlessly. The cost to do everything was under $800.00 and free coffee. Marty and Jeff are top notch guys and run a very nice and organized company. Because their campers are the original design of the my 2002 FWC Hawk model, they have the jigs to make new panels exactly as the original panels, so everything is like new. I really like the struts. You no longer lift the top but rather gently nudge them along. So cool. In fact Marty may have been involved with the building of my 2002 Hawk. He knew every facet of it's design which was a comfort to know. Any future work I need done will be with ATC only! I absolutely recommend them over FWC to recondition older model FWC campers. If I ever buy a new one, it will be a ATC.

DirtDude said:
Yesterday, I had ATC install a new front lift panel and added struts. The entire job took 1.5 hours and was done flawlessly. The cost to do everything was under $800.00 and free coffee. Marty and Jeff are top notch guys and run a very nice and organized company. Because their campers are the original design of the my 2002 FWC Hawk model, they have the jigs to make new panels exactly as the original panels, so everything is like new. I really like the struts. You no longer lift the top but rather gently nudge them along. So cool. In fact Marty may have been involved with the building of my 2002 Hawk. He knew every facet of it's design which was a comfort to know. Any future work I need done will be with ATC only! I absolutely recommend them over FWC to recondition older model FWC campers. If I ever buy a new one, it will be a ATC.
That customer focus and expertise is exactly why I’ve ordered another ATC. They’re a great team!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom