Front metal hinge sweating

I use damp rid to absorb moisture in my Hawk when it's closed up. Just wondering if you set some in the corner of the cab over if it would help prevent or reduce the condensation. Might be worth trying. I empty out about a pint of water per week from the 2 containers I use, humid here on the gulf coast.

BobD said:
You exhale approx 1L of water while sleeping. It's going to end up somewhere. Try to provide as much ventilation as possible and be prepared to wipe/dry things up in the morning. As northshorehenry points out, it's a well appointed tent. The UCO candle lanterns help to absorb a lot of the moisture.

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Original-Collapsible-Candle-Lantern/dp/B00BMMF83O

The average sized man has lung volume of approximately six litres. So assuming he is breathing in/out 6l air/minute (reflects slower resp rate when sleeping)
ambient temp 0c (32f)
70% rel humidity

At this humidity there'd be 2.4 mg H2O/l of air inspired.
Exhaled air would be heated to body temp / 100% humidity

Heat up for 49.3 mg H2O / l
"Humidity deficit" = 49.3 mg H2O/l MINUS 2.4 mg H2O/l = 46.9 mg H2O/L

At 6 L air /minute there would be 281.4 mg H2O / min expired.

This works out to 135 ml H2O over 8 hours. (1/2 cup). Assuming there are two of you in the camper, you can double that. So as you can see, it's not a litre that we breath out at night.

NorthShore...

I LOVED IT WHEN YOU TALK DIRTY! More calculations! :p

What about perspiration? Must be a string of formulas for that...for the quantification of sweat produced by each pore and the surface area with sweat pores... :D

Phil

Wallowa said:
NorthShore...

I LOVED IT WHEN YOU TALK DIRTY! More calculations! :p

What about perspiration? Must be a string of formulas for that...for the quantification of sweat produced by each pore and the surface area with sweat pores... :D

Phil

At 0c (32f), I sure hope you are not perspiring while you are sleeping. If you are, you should seek medical attention. :D

NorthShore,

Hey, if my bed is at 32F then something is seriously wrong! And I will be dead from hypothermia long before morning...as for seeking medical attention...well of course they insisted that I do just that; but I escaped! :ninja:

Happy New Year.... :) Life is indeed good.

Phil

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My guess is that it is cold enough for your breath or other moisture in the air to condense. I believe the rivets/screws are fastened into the aluminum frame, which is definitely a heat sink. Did you check behind the panel on the vinyl to see if it was damp back there.

You wife has the right idea. A towel to catch it. Prior to bringing the top down, I would also towel off the vinyl in that area to catch any moisture that may have collected there.
Holy crap. Just came back from another trip and this time it wasn't as cold as the last trip (close though) and man, it was soaking wet ;behind the black panels! The front one by the bed way worse than the back one over the door. We wiped it down as far we could reach with a couple of towel and it was absolutely ridiculous. I have the top up and dehumidifier running over night in there now. I will see how dry it can get by doing that as there is no air circulation at all. Hmmm...I don't want it to mould back there but I can't even reach the middle of the panel to wipe it down.

Ran the dehumidifier for two days and the camper was so dry that I can feel my skin shrivel up when I stepped inside. :) Ok, at least that works. Sure wish there was a different way to do this.

We are having the same problem. We don't have a Fantastic Fan installed yet (just ordered it off Amazon), but are hoping that helps out.

We had so much condensation I thought the camper was leaking the first time I noticed it. Folding the top down caused the moisture to all run out each side of the lift panels and leave two big wet spots on our mattress..

pawleyk said:
We are having the same problem. We don't have a Fantastic Fan installed yet (just ordered it off Amazon), but are hoping that helps out.

We had so much condensation I thought the camper was leaking the first time I noticed it. Folding the top down caused the moisture to all run out each side of the lift panels and leave two big wet spots on our mattress..
Yup, hence I was trying to ask the forum if anyone has figured out a way around this. So far it seems like the answer is to dry it with a towel. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

northshorehenry said:
Ran the dehumidifier for two days and the camper was so dry that I can feel my skin shrivel up when I stepped inside. :) Ok, at least that works. Sure wish there was a different way to do this.
these are a little cheaper than the damp rid, but work pretty good....

Back
Top Bottom