Front Rubber Bumpers size

Timothy McGowen

Was just wondering how deep are the rubber bumpers mounted to the front wall of the newer campers?

Actually I'm curious about how much space there is between the camper and cab.

There will be differences between each model/year truck.

My 2016 Ford F150 short bed with a 2013 Hawk has just under 4" between the camper front wall and the bottom of the rear window/cab wall. More space at the top of the window. About 1" between the camper front wall and the back edge of the bed rail. About 4.5" between the cab top and camper cabover bottom.

Cannot measure the bumpers now, but as I recall was likely between 2-3".

What's the project?!

On my Tundra, the bumpers seem unnecessarily big by at least an inch. It pushes the hind end out past the tailgate area.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1463030412.069785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

FB,

I believe the short length of that model truck bed is why it sticks out in back...my '05 Tundra AC with Hawk is perhaps 3/4" beyond the bed in back....the distance to the front of the bed from the camper is perhaps 2". My bumpers are approx the 2 3/4" mentioned above which I think is a standard size on newer Hawks.

I am new at this but if the aluminum frame of the FWC camper flexes as advertised perhaps spacing is needed to prevent contact with the cab or front of the bed. Rubber pads are a buffer and a stabilizer.

But I could be wrong... :D

Phil

Ps...Great looking pup!

PPs...I noticed that you have fewer latches on the pop-up than my Hawk, curious...also roughly how much weight do you have on the roof with that box loaded and is it tough to push up?

I have a total of 6 latches. The Hawk is a 2014 model.

The Thule box was put on the roof empty. We drove the truck down to Nashville to meet the seller, so had the Thule box with all our stuff loaded into the back of the truck. When I met the seller we took all the crap out of the box and put it in the camper, put the box on top of the camper and then loaded the camper onto my truck.

So that's a long way to give the short answer "I don't know!". I do know that it would be very hard to access any contents of the box when it's up top. If I moved it back a bit and stood on the rear tire I could reach into most of the box. But I'd need someone pushing by butt up against the truck to keep from falling over since there's nothing to really grab onto.

FB,

My error, a senior moment I guess, my Hawk and yours both have 6 latches. I have the awning on the right side, side in your photo, and for some reason thought I had, which I don't, a latch at right rear aft of the awning.

Rig looks good!

Phil

Back
Top Bottom