Frustrating interaction with FWC

SlowernOlder

I put in my order for a Hawk camper last month with a production date in January. I email my sales rep to ask if I could upgrade my fridge from the 85 L to 130. They told me no, the camper is in production and no changes. Seems to me that this change would be a minor one and no big deal. Kind of felt like they blew me off. Anyone else have this experience with FWC?

The 85L and 130L refrigerators require different cabinet designs. At least on our camper, the 85L has another storage space with a hinged lid above it. I believe that is not the case with the larger 130L refrigerator. Once your camper is in production they may have already cut all of the cabinet panels (it is mostly computerized now). So, it's not surprising that they freeze any changes once it is in production.

Yes, they are sticklers on changes.
They do this not to disrupt production and delay orders. Even if your unit hand not gone to production the may have imposed a change fee. Ask me how I know.
Be bought our Hawk in 2020 and have been label to buy components direct from the factory this year to change our build Still great folks to work with.

I bet that's frustrating. The good news is that your camper is in production!

Having built out a few shells, I can imagine that a change like that would require a fair bit of work, re-milling of cabinets, etc. At the very least I would expect to have to pay a "Change Order" fee.

Of the two builders of FWC style campers, ATC is the one known to be more open to custom work. FWC has innovated a bit more (first with the rounded corner doors, new window style, etc) and seems to be more comfortable with being more inflexible.

I wonder if an option is: 1) giving up your build sequence (hence the camper as it was ordered will go to someone else) and 2) put a new order in for the camper as you want it?

I'm going to live with it but the short response was off putting. When I was at ATC I was impressed with their build quality but there were items on my list that were not available through them.

It would be a pretty substantial change.

I yakked with them about a more insignificant one, and it seems holding up the line, pre-ordering parts that may be scarce, etc, etc were all factors. They were pretty clear at ordering that I should get it right the first time; they really don't do custom vs just having options, more like the car companies than custom fabricators.

Sounds like they could have been more tactful though.

This may not be much consolation, but we can sure fit a lot of food in our little 65L fridge. I suppose you could put a small fridge in your truck if your fridge isn't big enough. But these comments may not feel like any consolation...

rubberlegs said:
This may not be much consolation, but we can sure fit a lot of food in our little 65L fridge. I suppose you could put a small fridge in your truck if your fridge isn't big enough. But these comments may not feel like any consolation...
This is a great answer. I have the 85 and finds it holds a lot but also maintaining the right temp, loading correctly, etc. can be a little bit of a pain. I have thought of getting another one for the backseat to keep some drinks and stuff in to both free up space in the back and have lunch handy while out for the day.

okiedavid said:
This is a great answer. I have the 85 and finds it holds a lot but also maintaining the right temp, loading correctly, etc. can be a little bit of a pain. I have thought of getting another one for the backseat to keep some drinks and stuff in to both free up space in the back and have lunch handy while out for the day.
Heck I have a 40L and have taken 6 week trips with it for myself and my wife. It may just take a little “rethinking” of how you keep things cold. For example…we love to have a G&T at the end of the day but found that only keeping 2 small cans of the tonic water in the fridge (one for each of us) at a time frees up space for other things…
Hope this helps.

Putting an order in November and getting a January production date was unheard of when I ordered my Hawk. We waited almost 9 months! I did the same thing as you and wanted a bigger fridge, which in our case was upgrading to the 85L. Even though our production date was several months away, they still charged us a $250.00 fee for the change order! It is water under the bridge now and I'm glad I bit the bullet and did it. We find the 85L is just right for two people and provides plenty of space. It is very efficient to run off solar and we love the extra storage space above it ( you lose that with the larger model.)

I have an 85L but use it mostly for food. I keep a 45Q cooler in my truck for the drinks. When the food starts to take up less space I use some ice cold drinks to help the fridge out and so I can lower the power. I considered the 130 fridge but opted for more space above the fridge and so far no issues with that. To each his own though, I’m sure there was a good reason to need the 130.

I had to wait 9 months too, glad to see the production line calming down.

Vic Harder said:
130L here. We use all the space, but then we are big into fruits/veggies, which take up a lot of space.
Same. And beer and wine too -- which are another form of grains and fruit.

So an update, FWC has stepped up and allowed a no cost change order. They are changing my order and allowing me to add some of the new items that were released on 12/15. :D

SlowernOlder said:
So an update, FWC has stepped up and allowed a no cost change order. They are changing my order and allowing me to add some of the new items that were released on 12/15. :D
Very interesting. Glad you are going to be able to get what you want!

SlowernOlder said:
Good news and good people.

SlowernOlder said:
Glad to hear they are willing to work with you. As mentioned they charged me $250 to change size of fridge, and any other changes would be $250 per request. I also asked for them to install wire heavy enough to handle a DC-DC charger and they refused.

It looks like they not only are upgrading the options and offerings, but also some policies. Good on them.

All said and done, I think they do a great job, offer a great product and have been very helpful with any issues post purchase. I reckon we all have some room for improvement :)

SlowernOlder said:
Nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom