Full Time in a FWC

markrrr

Anyone doing full-time living in a FWC camper? I'm thinking of doing this. I'm from Vancouver and my job allows me to travel and work (I'm an IT consultant)... Vancouver housing prices are so ridiculously high. Don't have a lot of stuff. Just need basic amenities year round and something which can stealth camp too. Seems like with the Hawk you can sleep down below with the top down... should be good enough for stealth camping.

Anyone doing this?

If so, what options do you have, or recommend?

At the moment I'm looking at an FWC hawk on an F-150 SuperCab 4x4. With furnace, hot water/shower, side couch layout...

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, there is at least one couple who have been full timing for about two years. Do a search on the site and you can probably find them. They were also in a Truck Camper Mag article. Oh, I believe there's a blog as well.

Edit: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10368-full-time-in-a-fwc/

I have the side couch, and feel it was a mistake for us. My size 14s are always in the aisle, and the table is awkward. I'm a retired IT guy, and I don't see how you would effectively work for long times with that config. Personally, I'd look for a front dinette, with side dinette as an alternative.

Don't rule out ATC and Alaskans as potential solutions either. I know a photographer who has lived in his Alaskan for 14 years.

Cool thanks Free Range Human!

I was looking at ATC and Alaskan but not sure if they have a distributor in Canada, or if there are import issues. I will have to poke around a bit to see!!! FWC has a distributor here in Vancouver and I went over there the other day to look at the campers and chat with him...

As for the couch... I have scoliosis and I don't work sitting at a table. I prefer to work from a reclined position with my legs up and my laptop resting on my thighs... I'm lucky enough to be senior in my field and my main client is comfortable with me working from anywhere. And why not? It's the 21st century after all!

:)

One of my main reasons for looking into a truck camper is that I'd like to learn more about wild places and the land. Foraging fishing and hunting are all pursuits I am getting more into. I don't own a home and Vancouver is so pricey, so I don't want to... I do value my time in the city with friends and going to martial arts classes and things like that... but I see myself spending more time on the land.... one day building up a land-based school for city folks to reconnect with Nature.

I'm reading that full-timer article now. Thanks for the link!!!

Mark

It might be worth your time to drive down to Winlock and visit Alaskan. They are the most comfortable camper I've ever (EVER) been in. Give them a call and talk to Bryan Wheat the CEO. He could tell you about any import issues.

If you truly love the life, you'll make it work.

If money is not an issue, then I'd look into a sportsmobile—they are the perfect balance for stealth camping in the city and around about the rest of the world.

Update: they also list pre-owned units at their three different locations.

Hi Advocate!!! Sportsmobile does look really cool. Cost is definitely a factor- it's obviously significantly higher than a FWC / Truck. Also, Sportsmobile 4x4 can not be imported into Canada due to not having approval for that type of vehicle. Some people have bought the same base model van and done a Clydesdale 4x4 conversion here in Canada then shipped to the US to have the interior / roof done... but I think that would be very pricey... compared to cost of truck camper.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, when I got my ATC, I came back through Alberta to try and avoid PST, but the customs system would not permit it with a BC Drivers licence. The customs guys spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to beat it but couldn't do it (eventually reduced the declared value to help out. If you go the ATC route, picking it up at their plant will save you a fair bit vs. having it shipped to BC. FWC will only sell though their local dealer.

Mark, check out The Traveling Trio. Beth and Yeager have been on the road since april I think. They have a grandby. They visit WTW sometimes. Good luck. Mitch

I brought an ATC into BC a couple years back. You'll have to pay sales tax but little else and to be honest I'm pretty sure I got a much better deal importing the camper myself than buying from the FWC dealer near Vancouver.

I'm prejudiced on what is the "best" camper, Mark. (Who isn't?) But if you are serious about full-timing and yet want to have a vehicle that will go off-road I'd look seriously at the FWC Hawk Flatbed. We have been super impressed with the layout and "perceived space" in our new Hawk Flatbed. It also has a fold down dinette so you could stealth camp.

Steve

PS The Flatbed model IS a bit pricier than the slide-ins. But for full-timing amortize the price over time and the difference will start to fade away. (As with all things.) HERE is a thread with some photos of our unit.

As soon as we pick up our camper next week, we will be full time in it. Can't wait.

markrrr said:
Anyone doing full-time living in a FWC camper? I'm thinking of doing this. I'm from Vancouver and my job allows me to travel and work (I'm an IT consultant)... Vancouver housing prices are so ridiculously high. Don't have a lot of stuff. Just need basic amenities year round and something which can stealth camp too. Seems like with the Hawk you can sleep down below with the top down... should be good enough for stealth camping.

Anyone doing this?

If so, what options do you have, or recommend?

At the moment I'm looking at an FWC hawk on an F-150 SuperCab 4x4. With furnace, hot water/shower, side couch layout...

Thanks,
Mark
We have been full time in our Hawk since July. Zero complaints thus far. We have the roll over couch and have stealth camped with the top down in areas/neighborhoods when we need to break up the drive and the camping is too expensive and/or prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom