Furnace Problem

It is a very simple electric motor with solid bearings. I found the inside of the motor to be very clean. The shafts were corroded with the long shaft side showing the start of wear in the bearing contact area. There was also noticeable wear on the inside of the corresponding bearing.

Attachments

• motor-006.jpg
    motor-006.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 172
I cleaned the shafts with a strip of 600 paper, lubed the felt around the bearing and the bearing and shaft, and reassembled the motor. I have not connected it to 12 volt yet to test run it to check on operation.

Hope this info will help someone.

Attachments

• motor-007.jpg
    motor-007.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 143
I reference this thread to install a new fan motor in my Hydroflame 8516 today. made the job much easier! Great information here!

Thank you ski3pin!

CWD

ski3pin said:
I pulled the furnace out today to get a look at it. Door came off the outside, inside vents and cabinet around it on the inside off, check for extra screws holding it in place (found one inside), removed the small heat vent duct, removed the exhaust port to easily get at the propane supply connection, pulled it out the outside access and clipped the four wires at the old connectors.
I would add that it isn't necessary to clip/cut the 4 wires. Slide the unit out far enough to access the connector and pinch the tabs to release it from the metal frame and pull the wires out the hole in the top.

CWD

Nice job on that motor Ski. Thanks for the pics. If I ever need to fix one I will know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom