Furnace Sail Switch - observations

TheDudeMan

Just writing to share some notes from the past week of my experiences with the all to famous sail switch issue.

I've been following this forum for years, and it has always been so helpful. I hope my first post can give back a fraction of all I've learned from everyone here.

I have a month-old Hawk with the Dometic furnace. Heater worked fine multiple trips down into the low 20s. I've probably used my furnace for 10 nights since I purchased it, and a few days of running in the driveway. That said, I've been expecting this issue to pop up.

Just last weekend I was out in 36 degree + rain weather, and woke up to a cold camper. I pulled the ducting, and that didn't seem to fix it. When I got home, I went through all the hoops and checked the sail switch. I found a small piece of fuzz lodged in the switch. After cleaning it, I reinstalled it thinking I found the culprit.

Fast forward to yesterday, I fired up the heat to do some work in the camper and thought I'd let the furnace run for a bit to see if it errors again. Sure enough, I came back to a furnace that was failing to light. Similar cool/rainy conditions, definitely had me thinking maybe there is something environmental to the problem.

Fortunately, I had called Dometic support earlier in the week and ordered an extra sail switch + limit switch to keep on the truck. I swapped in this brand-new switch, and with both in hand, noticed that it felt like the new one had less friction in switch operation.

I'm not sure if this is a result of that switch having been inside, or if there is something that gunks up the innards of the switch, but swapping the new switch and it has been running without a problem for 24 hours.

I've now begun wondering if a lot of these switch problems can't be rectified with a bit of electrical contact cleaner sprayed in the switch. Perhaps there is something from the factor that causes them to not operate properly?

2016 Hawk here...what was the cost of the sail switch and what is the "+limit switch"? Assuming buying from Dometric is the way to go. I will probably get a backup since I use mine in winter during low temps...also will throw in a can of contact cleaner; good idea, thanks.

Wallowa said:
2016 Hawk here...what was the cost of the sail switch and what is the "+limit switch"? Assuming buying from Dometric is the way to go. I will probably get a backup since I use mine in winter during low temps...also will throw in a can of contact cleaner; good idea, thanks.
Sail switch was like $22, and the limit switch was $35-ish. Shipping was like $20 (ouch).

If you think of the switches in order - you have thermostat (heat yes/no), sail switch (fan moving enough air yes/no) and limit switch (heater is not running too hot). I don't think failures of limit switch are as common, but it's an easy, small part to keep on hand.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Dudeman,first welcome to the site.
Is this camper "new" or just new to you?
Have you tried to contact Stan at FWC?
He would be a person to give some help.
Frank

I believe he already fixed it...."but swapping the new switch and it has been running without a problem for 24 hours."

Back
Top Bottom