Furnace - What am I Missing?

RyGuy

Greetings fellow FWC clan,

Long time follower first time poster.

Bought a 2003 Hawk a few months ago. She needs some TLC and a deep clean (but hey, who doesn’t) but nothing I’m incapable of. Been having fun getting ‘er dialed in to my family and I’s needs.

There is one thing however, that has me stumped. I see what appears to be the furnace exhaust, a fuse for the furnace, and part of what I do believe to be (you guessed it) a furnace. Here’s my bewilderment. Inside of the camper there is no thermostat, nor any evidence of there ever being a thermostat (screw holes, wiring, etc.). I’ve done some research online, which led me to videos of people showing me how to turn there thermostat to make the furnace blow warm air. Unlucky for me I’m missing half of that equation.

All things considered this isn’t a major travesty, as I was planning on installing a diesel heater eventually to ward off condensation whilst winter camping. But thought I’d reach out to you kind and knowledgeable folks to see if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for help, and tease away if I am missing something painfully obvious.

Cheers!

edit - attempting to attach photos... standby

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 67
Excuse my ignorance, I have only posted once or twice on here, let alone attempted to attach photos! Hope this was acceptable. I have more questions regarding solar, but that is a whole 'nother beast I'm preparing for. Thanks again in advance for any assistance...

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3153.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 65
There is an air vent grid plate in the first photo of post 3, just under the fridge. Remove it and see if you can find the power and ground wires to the furnace, usually red and black. If there are two additional wires, these may be the wires for the thermostat. The plywood board with the grid plate may be removable also, screws top and bottom. If that's the case, the vent plate can stay on.

Thank you all for the replies thus far! Consensus seems to be I have a heater, that was tinkered with at some point. I was mainly curious if there was something right in front of me I was missing as far as thermostat control - I’ll dive into it further and share my findings. Happy Saturday!

When you get to the furnace, usually there is a white automotive type 4 wire connector that joins the furnace to the camper wiring - power, ground, two wires that go to a thermostat.

RyGuy said:
Thank you all for the replies thus far! Consensus seems to be I have a heater, that was tinkered with at some point. I was mainly curious if there was something right in front of me I was missing as far as thermostat control - I’ll dive into it further and share my findings. Happy Saturday!
Keep us posted and good luck. I love to see older campers get a new lease on life. :)

Originally the thermostat was to the right of the battery / water gauge. Looks like the rocker switch maybe replaced the thermostat to have on and off operation. Trace those wires and see.

I believe the thermostat wires for that furnace are blue. You may be able to see the two blue wires running together through the cabinets between the furnace and the thermostat location.

Back
Top Bottom