Furnace won’t stay lit on 2020 Hawk shell

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member
Took a brand new hawk shell out today for a maiden voyage as a warming hut after snow showing.
Light the furnace and it ticks and turns on and blows and then shuts off. I could feel hot air blowing out the exhaust and hear the burning propane but it wouldn’t stay lit.

It was getting power. Than fan was blowing plenty, the battery plenty charged. The furnace was lighting. Just as soon as it lit it it would shut off again.

Inside he top was down, but he side window open a bit as well as a roof vent.

There was some breeze, enough that I tried blocking it, while outside, thinking it was being blown out. Is this a problem people have encountered?

Brought it home and it works perfectly. Is it set too sensitive to air pressure? Any experience welcome.

Brand new? Probably needed to prime the line by leaving it run a bit longer. Actually, I'd have lit the stove and let it run for a minutes, both burners, if you have a stove. If it's new and never used it'll take a bit.

Did you light the stove first. My dealer instructed me to light the stove first, that is the first time using the propane and after changing the tank each time. Make sure when you turn your tank on that you turn the knob very slowly. If that doesn't solve the issue contact your dealer or FWC. On Facebook Four Wheel Camper Owners, Stan Kennedy has posted a video on the furnace.

Thanks for replying. Furnace, not stove. And it worked as expect before and after driving up to the mountains.
This shutting off behavior happen over a ten minute or more period.

UmkaAndHawk said:
Thanks for replying. Furnace, not stove. And it worked as expect before and after driving up to the mountains.
Check you thermostat...if you can cross the wires .

Realize it is the furnace. However, it is recommended to light the stove the first time you use the propane in a new camper and when you change out the propane tank.
UmkaAndHawk said:

I was having a problem with my furnace in my 2019 Hawk. It worked the first few times I used it and then wouldn't the next time. I watched all of Stan's videos and went thru step by step. It turned out to be the sail switch was stuck. Swatch the videos and I bet you'll figure it out.

I had the same problem with my NEW Hawk Shell on our first trip. I went through everything. I got to looking at it and noticed the flexible vent went all the way from right to center basically cutting off the airflow. I took the whole vent cover off and it worked. A day or so latter I tried scrunching it all down put the cover back on, no go. Took it off again and it worked. I left it off for the rest of the trip. When I returned I meticulously stuffed all the extra vent tubing back on the furnace tube and left just the couple of inches require to get to the vent. I didn’t want to cut it and risk messing with the “warranty”. It did work after that, but it was not at altitude.
I diid contact FWC service about my findings and they acknowledged the problem.
Check your furnace duct to see if it is blocking the exit.

JWL said:
I had the same problem with my NEW Hawk Shell on our first trip. I went through everything. I got to looking at it and noticed the flexible vent went all the way from right to center basically cutting off the airflow. I took the whole vent cover off and it worked. A day or so latter I tried scrunching it all down put the cover back on, no go. Took it off again and it worked. I left it off for the rest of the trip. When I returned I meticulously stuffed all the extra vent tubing back on the furnace tube and left just the couple of inches require to get to the vent. I didn’t want to cut it and risk messing with the “warranty”. It did work after that, but it was not at altitude.
I diid contact FWC service about my findings and they acknowledged the problem.
Check your furnace duct to see if it is blocking the exit.
After screwing around with resets etc. on our 2020 Hawk Shell.. I removed the (flexible vent) duct completely, works like a champ. Tested to 6k feet.

Stan, yes, we've been in contact with service and I've been communicating directly with Jay. We were unable to test it last weekend but we are hopeful. Thank you for reaching out.

astropuppy said:
After screwing around with resets etc. on our 2020 Hawk Shell.. I removed the (flexible vent) duct completely, works like a champ. Tested to 6k feet.
Thats good news.
I like it when it's a simple fix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom