FWC Custom Build Requests?

Bombsight

I understand that FWC's build a set floor plan (or 3) ... and any changes to that are unavailable ... but,

.... will FWC's put in any extras like 110 power outlets here & there?

How strict are the build guidelines? Does $$$ talk? Can Tom be had with a steak dinner? :p

What extras would those of you who had one built like to have?

Attachments

• A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 189
There are 110 outlets in my Eagle and I had my installer add an inverter and a couple of more 12v outlets. I expect the installers will also add other extras if requested, at least that's where I'd go for custom things I didn't want to do myself.

Stalking Light said:
There are 110 outlets in my Eagle and I had my installer add an inverter and a couple of more 12v outlets. I expect the installers will also add other extras if requested, at least that's where I'd go for custom things I didn't want to do myself.
I can fab a lot of things myself but, I'm no electrician so ...

Who do you mean when you say "my installer"? Do they work @ FWC's?

Thanks

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 183
Stalking Light said:
That's amazing. I thought there was no way they would consider doing something like that.

No, I bought mine from Adventure Trailers in Prescott, AZ and had them do a few things. It was easier to add the outlets by the side dinette, for example, before the camper was put on the truck. I guess if you buy direct from FWC you don't have 'an installer' per se, though.

FWC is not real big on custom work. Not faulting them for this; they stick with what they know and do a darn good job of it IMHO.

I live about an hour's drive from the factory in Woodland, CA and ordered my Hawk there last year. I asked about having them install a backup camera that would wire into my truck's existing system - no. Also asked about wiring for driving lights on the front of the camper - no.

As noted above, some dealers/installers may do more custom work. I love my FWC but I've heard that ATC is more willing to do custom work.

BTW - there is one 110v duplex receptacle standard in the FWCs. The Hawk is pretty small inside, can't imagine that you'd need more than one. Maybe in a Grandby.

" BTW - there is one 110v duplex receptacle standard in the FWCs. The Hawk is pretty small inside, can't imagine that you'd need more than one." .

Thank you for that info.

Would you say that the photos I posted in this thread is of a Hawk?
Also, could a power strip be used with that one receptacle?

PJorgen said:
FWC is not real big on custom work. Not faulting them for this; they stick with what they know and do a darn good job of it IMHO...
Yup. As a management consultant I understand (even applaud) FWC's reluctance to customize. (For the pitfalls of trying to be "all things to everyone" just look at the QC issues Phoenix has had.)

Now as a loyal, second time around FWC customer their lack of flexibility drives me nuts! BUT I keep coming back to FWC so who is the crazy one here? :)

Steve

PS If all goes according to plan Sioux and I should be driving the new Hawk flatbed back from Jackson, WY in a month or so.

The 110 receptacle has 2 plugins and you could use a power strip, but remember it is only live when on shore power. You will need an inverter if you want 110 when you are not connected to shore power.

Stalking Light said:
No, I bought mine from Adventure Trailers in Prescott, AZ and had them do a few things. It was easier to add the outlets by the side dinette, for example, before the camper was put on the truck. I guess if you buy direct from FWC you don't have 'an installer' per se, though.
They will put it on the truck and give you a lawyer required walkthough (don't do dumb stuff). No custom work.

Stalking Light said:
The 110 receptacle has 2 plugins and you could use a power strip, but remember it is only live when on shore power. You will need an inverter if you want 110 when you are not connected to shore power.
Ye. AND that inverter will not power that outlet unless you do some fancy wiring. In my Hawk (Self Contained) the inverter lives in the cabinet above the batteries and below the stove.

I have a separate outlet for my inverter, didn't mean to imply you automatically get 110 from the same outlet. My inverter is under my sink and is connected to a switch and outlets on the face of the cabinet in my Eagle.

Some members may scorn this suggestion but an external and internal cable TV hook up would be nice. Most of our camping is done at established campgrounds that offer cable TV in addition to electricity and water.

Dphillip said:
Some members may scorn this suggestion but an external and internal cable TV hook up would be nice. Most of our camping is done at established campgrounds that offer cable TV in addition to electricity and water.
That's not a bad idea. It would be simple to add on during installation. We would use it occasionally, but not very often since we are rarely at a campground with our FWC.

I don't see why they can't establish a Custom Shop. Can order a regular production camper, or can order thru the custom shop. I know of one company that does this. The product out of the custom shop takes longer and except for your wallet there is no limit to what you can order. Product off the line is very well defined, anything outside of that is custom shop work.

I'll bet there's enough custom business to keep one, maybe two guys going full time. And if they should get slow, put them on the main line.

Back
Top Bottom