FWC Eagle fit my 2002 GMC Sierra 1500?

tstumpfig

Advanced Member
Found a potential used Eagle ~8 hours away from me and was hoping someone here can confirm weather it will fit my 2002 GMC Sierra 1500. Having a hard time finding dimensions/drawings online.

Thanks!

Edit: I have the 6.5' standard bed

Eagles are pretty narrow, so it should probably fit just about any truck, width-wise. However, they also don't have as much of a rise on the side rails, which means you may need to lift it. I'm guessing your truck being an 02, you might be OK, but the newer trucks have much deeper beds.

Because of it's narrower width, you may also have troubles getting the front jacks past the rear fenders, if you have fender flares. I needed about 8" extensions on either side to get it past my fenders.

For comparison, I have an 05 Eagle on and 03 Toyota Tundra, 6.5 ft bed. I have a 17" bed, and thankfully the previous owner had added about a roughly 3 inch "lift" by adding a 2x4 subfloor (short side) and a full sheet of 3/4" plywood underneath it all. That leaves me enough room that I have about 2" gap over the bedrails, which is nice because since it is narrower, the drain spout is right over the bedrail.

rPks4FYnKX2B1zNgvHpFqMx0Q56a7aZAD0p4PUdiAFzkWmfZoJGJ1yATqm_6Am8sVj6exHuqAQ5vweTSbfHaeW13hrvzzUVwxojP2Q-mQ3mOJU1e3BrZEngvfI3bd_djR92WuI2fQT2WrDxpAZ3hRBfh25NpcCuD3liOj-3Z1SYfSGBbUVLCle0ONktCEh3foUKSIVmCLVHUCVAua3GC3xgpM1DT-qUUiAYr64FxI5DESpLyeo2XkcL2KzBGrMIPfGc7kcPg1Ig9mTVowt-6emqy473cGoQ5Rxat5BCpjoU4ZuQ-zNxe489v6L3g1u2mUP4h3ajshF8zqjqPScKetlky4v-YHQ_Z4OAszuynUXfAa3uGNCiCikI1f1D262VGhHnRqzTgbDUfFBpajZ37rKqx31rDSG_Zcg66X7YjeWhSHJLTMy_9e0ajHPJBCc7W0JdpFZdnrzgYXbexugY24NUJYnyneUOxkL2OBbNlIZjnVAcF5bymR5hHMTPJD5pj86MeiuVbskwiTQFPEGmYEhbZIGi8L8UgKiC9qZbQQCFcj7m0BiCKpC1WswTd9Z0snlPVi0_b8-YuOuGsCtP9vMPVOnrxLbYwyW1B2qpdN66jpFM3UFsO_Erv2herxTCl8HQW5g5u4YXllqk5djUPev6BRAafa-xO9qjTDRbW-cC-rLjZszlspeW3SgHbm1E=w1112-h626-no

uqo9wg3w1prd-R1I2xNxk3h_ic6mALhgoLf6Bsy60PjvzaRuS0B0EB5VQUtfDkhU2CMCYcOZ_t7MQ0easOGmBX-u-RkOJ1dcHyIqybrRT8e--o8qZSuypi8Tz-Uc5iJ-s8G7j7sVXAwxRvwY_0Nh8yJ94J3R_8cAuWEOBmzaWbyTn424EszCNyW2f66HYYbEgJt1Hg8WLtJtSItAH8CKcaFaTMGfEW5ldxBbJdrhkeRH-cfuy8R67LVMUGZbcikAZVDpgVWnfrz-fmLtFICSIIsInwZFpScGhA9Tbs3zj0c9DqMiWXGLajtrB6H6PFVhYOy3YYGN2c3xPpRP9Ql78HosjxNbVzXtpG_E46HfTGOD0ocAl-_OgFhCLh-cCcX2z_EkeZ97Y63nQE7lnuN42_3cvWxN9Wf3RZ20mMZVHM_PvnLc5IIdT-XjovfKZw-Hnb2GBY9_Kg-N3WtCV0cxf-1_F9_gQHa-55CS9pQiSmHWlH2k5bL4HbTf9BUWuiaU4hDBln4YL2KY08AvhIvfqWhxSf0Dpqacn1kAzmerG689BB7OTImbs6SIVsJHe0_E6IuKs3AccIaLHYmmPEww4W--iqp1ZnXK9Hx41bfNrL8mEobFgqk2-wBZvOjixaJ_fywFfVZO14pcdU9Pf_zJ9Kq8rn8j7rHuaffbTON6QyOk9T9qt1rCtODaNJ1lq7M=w352-h625-no

This is super helpful, really appreciate the detailed response.

My bed is ~19.5" depth and 79.5" outside width, so might not be the best match. I'm going to speak with him over the phone here shortly so I'll definitely be asking about this. Maybe he has some systems in place because he currently has it sitting in a 2004 Colorado which has similar specs to mine.

Thank you!

Welcome to the cult.
Have you contacted Stan at FWC?
Ask him about mounting that Eagle
on your 02 Sierra.With a 19" depth
you might have to add a bit under the camper.
Good luck.
Frank

I just ran out to measure mine. With a roughly 2" boost on the camper from the 2x4 + plywood combo, the bottom edge of the camper (over the bedrails) is exactly at 20" from the truck bed. So if the camper hasn't been previously boosted up, you'd definitely going to need to boost the camper up to fit it over your bedrails.

You may also need to lift if further, if your camper has a drain spout that is inline with your bedrails.

OffTheGridMaps said:
I just ran out to measure mine. With a roughly 2" boost on the camper from the 2x4 + plywood combo, the bottom edge of the camper (over the bedrails) is exactly at 20" from the truck bed. So if the camper hasn't been previously boosted up, you'd definitely going to need to boost the camper up to fit it over your bedrails.

You may also need to lift if further, if your camper has a drain spout that is inline with your bedrails.
Good to know. You think a couple sheets of plywood would do the trick to at least get the camper back home before i come up with a better solution?

Also, he has brackets to extend the camper jacks so i should be okay there.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Welcome to the cult.
Have you contacted Stan at FWC?
Ask him about mounting that Eagle
on your 02 Sierra.With a 19" depth
you might have to add a bit under the camper.
Good luck.
Frank
I've seen Stan's name all over this site, i'll definitely be reaching out!

I drove mine home on pallets...been using it since on 2x4s. I wouldn't worry about the height issue too much. With the narrower camper, make sure you can tie it down inside the bed and that you can get the truck between the jacks...these are easy problems to solve though so I wouldn't be too discouraged.

Welcome to the club and can't wait to see pics!

I have a mid size camper on a full sized truck. I put 2" foam insulation board underneath and it has been working just fine,
If I were to make a wood frame for it to sit on, I would have drawers on it.

I have an Eagle on a RAM 1500 and it's great. As others stated, I had to build a platform to lift it over the bed rails and over the cab. There is space on the sides of the camper along the truck bed that I made some access for and we keep our chairs, table, etc in there. Also, the Eagle sits behind the truck cab a lot better and it's more "aerodynamic".

I have a FWC Eagle and have been using it for years in a Tacoma. Though the Tacoma did the job I was almost always overweight and towing a motorcycle trailer as well was really tiring long distance. I'm in the process of upgrading to a FullSized truck. The Eagle on a Fullsize is a great solution because you'll never be overweight and can tow along with the camper making the setup very versatile.
The big things to overcome were the building a riser and getting the jack stands out far enough with new aluminum plates to extend.
Now that the Eagle is narrow there is actually space on either side of the camper to store stuff. I am installing M.A.P.S panels in the bed so there is something to lash too and carry some tools and stuff along the side of the camper. My build is not complete but I think it's going to end up being a good marriage.

Back
Top Bottom