FWC Finch Shell Model Solar Question

Hardcastle

Advanced Member
I have a solar wiring issue I’m hoping other FWC owners might be able to help with. I called FWC and stumped the guys there. They said they’ll research and call me back…

I have a 2011 shell model Finch that i was told was pre-wired for solar. On the back drivers side wall I have a plug that I assumed was for solar. Inside the battery compartment there was an un-used coiled set of wires labelled “solar”. I assumed these wires inside the battery compartment were the other end of the outdoor plug but that’s not the case. Near the fuse panel I have 3 other sets of coiled un-used wires labelled: rear wall solar, roof solar, & aux 2 batt. I’m sure you guys are aware but you can’t actually see where these wires go once they’re behind the walls. I’d like to avoid removing any interior walls and I’d like to avoid re-wiring something that’s already in place. Right now I’m guessing that’s what I’ll have to do. Not a huge deal but if there’s anyone else who has experienced this and might have a wiring schematic that would be great. I’m hoping to complete the work tomorrow before we head out. If I can’t figure out how the existing wires are connected behind the panels I’ll just end up cutting into the wires behind the outside plug and run them to my battery.

It’s also probably relevant that my solar panel has a built in controller so my intention is to go straight from outside plug to battery.

Thanks.

Use a multimeter connected to each end to test for continuity. Put one lead on the back wall end and then test each of the wires in the battery compartment with the other - when you see a resistance you have the right ends.

Stalking Light said:
Use a multimeter connected to each end to test for continuity. Put one lead on the back wall end and then test each of the wires in the battery compartment with the other - when you see a resistance you have the right ends.

Thanks for the tip. I've already done that but I forgot to include that in my first post.

Rear Plug -> Wires near fuse panel labelled "rear wall solar"
Wires in battery compartment labelled "solar" -> "aux 2 batt" wires near fuse panel

Do you think they just wired the camper wrong in the factory or is there something important i'm not aware of?

So what you're looking for is a wiring diagram of the fuse panel? I'm guessing that the wires from the rear plug connect to the battery through the solar controller via the fuse panel, but if the FWC guys are stumped I think I'd wait for their reply. They certainly know more than I do about the camper electrical system.

Did you have a battery installed with wiring from FWC? If not, I ASSUME that one of the coils would go to the relay or controller they use. The solar plug wires are bundled together and are labeled, as you stated, 'rear wall' and 'roof' (see pic). I have panels with a built-in controller like you do so I just ran the 'rear wall' wires straight to my battery (GREEN arrows) and it works great. Since I had FWC install the relay for charging on the move, those wires are also connected (YELLOW arrows). I have added pics for clarity, hope this helps some.

CHRIS

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 120
In talking with the guy at FWC he told me the rear plug should have gone directly to the battery compartment without any extra work. That's why i'm wondering if a mistake was made at the factory.

I guess i could go rear plug->"rear wall solar->"aux 2 batt"->"solar". That would get the rear plug to the battery compartment. The more i think about that option the more it makes sense. Had I not used a solar panel with a built in controller i would likely wire the controller inside the camper near the fuse panel.

It still makes me nervous since this does not match up with what the FWC tech said. We'll see what he says after they "research"

Because you have the controller built-in (like I do), you just have to connect "rear wall" to your battery. There shouldn't be anything needed between your solar controller and the battery.

ribs said:
Did you have a battery installed with wiring from FWC? If not, I ASSUME that one of the coils would go to the relay or controller they use. The solar plug wires are bundled together and are labeled, as you stated, 'rear wall' and 'roof' (see pic). I have panels with a built-in controller like you do so I just ran the 'rear wall' wires straight to my battery (GREEN arrows) and it works great. Since I had FWC install the relay for charging on the move, those wires are also connected (YELLOW arrows). I have added pics for clarity, hope this helps some.

CHRIS
Yes, the battery was installed with wiring from FWC. I should have said I had a Shell model with lights and furnace.

So you plug into the rear wall and the wires go directly to the battery compartment?

Hardcastle said:
Yes, the battery was installed with wiring from FWC. I should have said I had a Shell model with lights and furnace.

So you plug into the rear wall and the wires go directly to the battery compartment?
that's right. The red/black wires in the pic labeled "rear wall" are connected directly to the battery. Those ones are just a straight shot from the plug on the back.

ribs said:
Because you have the controller built-in (like I do), you just have to connect "rear wall" to your battery. There shouldn't be anything needed between your solar controller and the battery.
Thats what i thought but the rear plug doesn't go to the battery compartment. It goes to the wires near the fuse panel labelled "rear wall solar"

I'm thinking the wiring intent was rear plug->"rear wall solar (near my fuse panel) ->"aux 2 batt" (near my fuse panel)->"solar"(in my battery compartment) That way IF i needed a separate solar controller it would go near the fuse panel. In my case since i have a built in controller I connect "rear wall Solar" to "aux 2 Batt" and my rear plug makes it to my battery box.

Hopefully i'm being clear. I'm no electrician but that seems to make sense to me. Thanks for all the help.

ribs said:
that's right. The red/black wires in the pic labeled "rear wall" are connected directly to the battery. Those ones are just a straight shot from the plug on the back.
Ok. Thanks. That is NOT how my camper is wired. That would have been much easier.

Hardcastle said:
Ok. Thanks. That is NOT how my camper is wired. That would have been much easier.
Yeah, sounds like our setup is a little different. Hope you get it all figured out and working. Let me know if I can take any more pics or check anything out on mine for ya.

My 2014 loaded Grandby has the Zamp roof solar going to the Zamp controller. When I purchased my Zamp 80W portable directly from Zamp they asked if the wall plug was wired to the controller or battery. I posed that question to Brenda and she said the wall plug was wired to the controller. Since it was wired to the controller Zamp sold me the portable panel without the built-in controller. System seems to work perfectly. I know nothing about electrical, so I have to believe things were done as Brenda stated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Stalking Light said:
That's my understanding on my system too, the rear plug is wired through the controller.
Same with my Grandby. My portable has the controller, so I am tempted to put a terminal block in the battery box, then wire directly to the batteries ((with a fuse on both legs), so I can use the portable as is.

Thanks Guys. That makes sense. Not sure why FWC was confused when i explained the situation. Maybe I wasn't explaining myself well.

Hardcastle:

I have a 2014 Grandby shell model, "pre-wired for solar" but no factory installed solar. I believe that the wires near the fuse box ("rear wall solar") should connect to a solar controller which you install near the fuse box which would then be connected to the wires marked "aux 2 batt" which would connect (your solar output) "solar" wires to the battery terminals.

In my case, each set of wires had a crimped-on splice connector protecting the wires from shorting, those connectors were cut off and the wires fed into the controller and the battery connection was made by adding ring terminals to replace the splice connectors installed by FWC during manufacture.

So: connect rear wall solar wires to a solar controller, connect the output of the controller to the "aux 2 batt" wires and add ring terminals in the battery compartment to the "solar" wires which then connect to the battery.

"Roof solar" wires were unused in my case, as no roof receptacle was installed by FWC.

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert nor an electrician but I try...;-)

Bill

2014 Grandby shell on a 2015 Tundra long bed 4x4

Edit for Hardcastle specific case---With the controller on the solar panel you would connect the "rear wall solar" to the "aux 2 batt" and then "solar" to the batteries (no controller inside the camper).

BILL98388 said:
Hardcastle:

I have a 2014 Grandby shell model, "pre-wired for solar" but no factory installed solar. I believe that the wires near the fuse box ("rear wall solar") should connect to a solar controller which you install near the fuse box which would then be connected to the wires marked "aux 2 batt" which would connect (your solar output) "solar" wires to the battery terminals.

In my case, each set of wires had a crimped-on splice connector protecting the wires from shorting, those connectors were cut off and the wires fed into the controller and the battery connection was made by adding ring terminals to replace the splice connectors installed by FWC during manufacture.

So: connect rear wall solar wires to a solar controller, connect the output of the controller to the "aux 2 batt" wires and add ring terminals in the battery compartment to the "solar" wires which then connect to the battery.

"Roof solar" wires were unused in my case, as no roof receptacle was installed by FWC.

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert nor an electrician but I try...;-)

Bill

2014 Grandby shell on a 2015 Tundra long bed 4x4

Edit for Hardcastle specific case---With the controller on the solar panel you would connect the "rear wall solar" to the "aux 2 batt" and then "solar" to the batteries (no controller inside the camper).

Thanks. That's exactly what i did last night and it's working great. It just threw me off since the FWC tech said it was wired differently.

Hello Hardcastle

We have changed the way we do solar panel wiring a couple times over the past few years.

You might have spoken with Shaw in the service department, and he is the new kid on the block right now.

If you need any additional help figuring that wiring out, feel free to contact myself, or Terry Budd. We both sit in the same office and can gather you the correct information (if you have not already sorted it out).

We are glad to help in any way we can.

: )

Stan

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 2009 Eagle with aux battery and am trying to install a solar kit. I see there are wires going behind the wood panel on the front of the pop-up roof. I am not sure where to catch them inside the camper - is that the spool next to the water pump?
And then, I'm not sure how to connect to them from the outside on the roof? Is there a suggested place to drill a hole and then just find them there? Or should I disconnect some of the screws which hold the roof on the front of it?
Thanks for any advise,
-John

Back
Top Bottom