FWC Fleet pop-up inside shower curtain leaks

ronmastel

I have a 2016 FWC Fleet on my 2015 Tacoma. Unfortunately I opted for the inside shower. Excellent camper and the shower would work fine but the shower curtain leaks thru to the outside wetting the surrounding area. I told FWCs about this and they gave me the lame excuse that:

[SIZE=11pt]"the shower is not meant to mimic a home shower but, more of a minimalistic style and use. The receptacle for the wand attached to the ceiling, is to hold the wand while lathering up, not for continuous running of the water. As you can see, the wand points almost directly at the curtain when mounted. After lathering up, the wand is then removed from it mounting location and used to directly rinse off.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] During usage the wand is never pointed directly at the curtain point blank, it is pointed towards the individual taking the shower. Yes, it is a cloth curtain but, when used in the way that it was designed, the water cascades down the interior and into the shower pan. The only water that should be present outside of the shower is, the obvious hot water mist that is present with a conventional showering." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I am a pretty coordinated person but I know I couldn't take a shower [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666984558105px]especially in a very confined area like that with out pointing the shower head directly at the shower curtain! At any rate the shower curtain as supplied is defective. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]If I had to make the choice again I would not choose to pay the substantial extra amount for the inside shower option. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]Any ideas on making the shower curtain waterproof.......maybe a waterproofing spray?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]Thanks! [/SIZE]

I have the inside shower and only turn the water on (at the wand) when the thing is in my hand, pointed in a productive area.

If I ran the thing like I do my home shower I'd run out of water when I was all soapy.

The few times I have used it, the curtain did seem to retain water a bit, so I am not saying you are wrong and FWC is right, but I think that there is some merit to both positions. I did not have water outside of the enclosure other than condensation and what came off of me after I exited the shower.

If I were concerned about the water repellancy of the curtain, I would look into DWR (Durable water repellant) coatings like one uses to treat their Goretex outerwear. I have found that this stuff lasts a long time as long as it is applied per instructions and used in the manner intended. There are some that can be used in the washing machine, this seems like it would be the easiest to apply and assure a thorough and even application. REI or other outdoor stores, or their on-line equivalent, will have one or more products available. Nikwax is one brand that come to mind.

In my ATC Bobcat shell I made my own inside shower using a Zodi Outdoor Shower Curtain, without the fiberglass poles (ordered as a replacement shower curtain, about $25, I think). I made the Zodi shower curtain to a taper and sewn from the 4 foot top to fit into the cut down utility sink for my portable shower base, and the curtain at the bottom is held in place with Velcro.

img_172654_0_300b4a2ecc9900bd9008cd8d2b8eca88.jpg

img_172654_2_f2a6c61ac3cdde72d83327a73bc884ee.jpg

img_172654_4_097dcda72b1ed8e7d113911a892c7ab2.jpg

I don't actually know what the FWC inside shower looks like, however, maybe something like this would work for you.

If you need more photos of the shower, they are in my ATC Bobcat Shell interior build thread, page 2.

I have a 2013 Fleet with the inside shower. Use the inside shower daily. I sprayed the curtain with water repellent and put silicon in all the joints on the water pan. Some moisture still gets through but I wipe it up right after and to date it works great with no damage to cabinets. I like the inside shower vice freezing outside and standing in mud. Takes some practice to get your routine down. I don't use the ceiling receptacle; just hold the wand and turn it on when in use.

Back
Top Bottom