fwc FLEET

jwd

hey all,
was wondering if anyone was running a FWC Fleet on a toyota truck...currently have a 2009 toyota tacoma dual cab w/ 6 foot box- was originally planning on trading soon for a ford w/ 8 foot box but that don't look like its going to happen...soooo... was wondering peeps eperience w/ the FWC Fleet...is it roomy enough for 1 person ( i'm 6'01"-- will often be w/ my lady who is 5'04".. sleep quarters big enough; in general some room to move aropund in case it rains for a day or 2 ?--- otherwise we'll be outside... Will i need beefed up suspension etc...?

thanks
-jd

editted....---> will probably be looking at the new fleet model unless i can score on an older model in really good condition..

Here's a picture of an 85 Fleet on my 2000 Tacoma. I really liked this setup... especially the wider body on the Fleet.
ebay568.jpg

hey riz,
freakin sweeeet rig ya got there !

how does it feel room wise on the inside? I guess i would be opting for the newwer version w/ the extended bed on top unless i could score on an older model in real good condition...is there ample room sleeping side to side ( east to west) w/ the wider fleet overcab bed area ?

Will i need beefed up suspension etc...?

Yes, you will need to upgrade the stock suspension. Airbags are one choice, or a heavy duty leaf set like the Old Man Emu Dakars.

ome.jpg

There is a heavy suspension upgrade for the Tacoma if it is under warranty and shows evidence of bottoming out under load. It improves the rear spring rate, though the truck will ride like a buckboard when there is no load. These springs plus 10 - 20 pounds in airbags handle my Bobcat easily. I do load light to travel so your results may vary.

There is a heavy suspension upgrade for the Tacoma if it is under warranty and shows evidence of bottoming out under load. It improves the rear spring rate, though the truck will ride like a buckboard when there is no load. These springs plus 10 - 20 pounds in airbags handle my Bobcat easily. I do load light to travel so your results may vary.

I had no luck with the 4 leaf TSB, the rear still bottomed out. But I do not have air bags.

There were a few things I really liked about the Fleet... The main on being that it was wide enough to sleep east to west (I'm 6'4"). In addition, I replaced the canvas so I could stand up straight inside:
ebay 585.jpg
Unfortunately, this camper was more beat up than I was willing to live with so I bought a 2001 Ranger:
IMG_0125.JPG
Overall I'm much happier with the Ranger, even though I can only stand up under the vent, which I extended up a few inches. My four cylinder Tacoma carries it no problem. I already had airbags, because I had been carrying this:
ebay 558.jpg
And by the way... Hell yes, "Change for a nickel." Look for me in the c-lot at Mary Jane this winter.

We have an 81 fleet on 2008 Tacoma, extended cab. I put a 1 1/2 inch wood frame on the bed to allow the Fleet to sit over the box. I added airbags. For a bed extension as you are over 6 feet I have two pieces of plywood with floding legs on which slide into an aluminum L channel I attached to the end of the fold up portion of the bed. I cut the one side around the stove. The queen bed comes down about 1/2 way on the stove. We have extra foam matresses. I am 5 ft 6 so I eliminated one piece and wife and I sleep x ways now as with the two pieces which made a queen bed we found it took too much room if we wanted to sit in the camper. There is lots of room for two people.
Robbie.

I love my '81 fleet. I would suggest finding an older model over a new one. There are lots of things they did better in the old days, windows being one. I paid $750 for mine, and I have put about $350 in it. Compared to $11K+ new, I saved lots of money for trips! Just finished my remodel, and the best thing I have done is build out the twin bed to a queen. Plenty of room for 2 people and the dog.

Attachments

• _DSC5486.JPG
    _DSC5486.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 361
  • _DSC5488.JPG
    _DSC5488.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 358
Back
Top Bottom