FWC gas strut info

Well the ball bolts go straight through and the plate itself mostly has only stress between the opposing struts...playing off each other. The ball joint bolts are snug and I put butyl tape (stretched out so thin) beneath. It worked great.

I am also wondering if the ball studs listed by Trowbocop will be sufficient for 40# struts.

All of this reading is soo confusing. Has anyone done this to an older Fleet ? Mine is an 86 and I would like to do this modification to it.

Buckshot62 I think if you get the appropriate (ask FWC) length struts (36 or 40") the install really is straightforward. I would highly recommend the 1/4" plates just so the stress is not on the camper but is opposing forces on the plate. I used a piece of wood: just a strip 42" long and measured out the length of the strut (in my case Eagle 40") and drilled a couple holes in the wood strip. Then found the middle of the top. placed the stick as a pattern up on the roof edge. (see my pdf on this thread) ....swing the stick from that point and it gives you the other install point on the camper body. I admit i was wicked nervous about the whole thing but check out the pdf... it all came together and has worked fine for years (always good to do pre flight bolt tightness checks on vital parts or clamps etc)

You will be happy with the results. I am sure FWC will tell you which struct length to buy.The 36" is cheap....the 40" is not. I put 30 pound struts on and honestly I would probably be happier with 40. but hey picky picky picky.

Buckland, and others . . .

Good news. The 40", 40lb. stuts ARE cheap.

I have a 2016 Fleet and decided to up my stock 30lb, 40" struts with 40 pounders. I have a solar panel and a small (7-cu. ft.) storage box on top of my my Yakima tracks.I also have a late 60s body which still can lift the roof but for how many more years?

I got a great tipoff from alijabosdotcom in one of these old strut thingy threads. He turned me onto https://www.geminigassprings.com/ in Vernon, British Columbia. Great customer service. I ordered four custom-made stuts/gas springs for $26 USD each. Their website is somewhat intimidating (because they manufacture so many types and sizes) so order this: Part #645, ball sockets, 1022 mm total length, rated 40lbs. The 1022mm is 40.25". What a find.

I am leaving from NC to "Wander the West" for 4 months starting in 2 weeks. The struts are promised to be manufactured and delivered by next week. I will update this post if their delivery is slower than promised or if there is any other problem, but I'm thinking this is THE solution to this situation.

Wow that is wonderful news thanks for the link and the numbers. If it works out that that 1/4” doesn’t deny me a step up in poundage I’ll be a happy camper. Especially at that real price. Great hunting that out and hope you are planning on posting your travel adventures in WTW. Happy Trails!!

Thanks for the info! I just received 4 custom made 60lb 40.5" struts from Suspa. We carry a bunch of gear on the roof and I have a lingering back injury... going to test them out with reinforced mounting points and see how they work.

If they are no good I will definitely be ordering the 40lbs from Gemini!

I’d like to upgrade to 40lb 40” struts for my eagle. I installed the 40” 30lb a couple years ago and now want to buy the Canadian ones as they are cheaper ... my concern is my ball mounts are 40” and the attached photo it says 40.25” for the Canadian. Am I safe to assume that that is the total open height and that the closed measure should still be able to attach to my current mounts? IMG_6151.JPG

buckland said:
I’d like to upgrade to 40lb 40” struts for my eagle. I installed the 40” 30lb a couple years ago and now want to buy the Canadian ones as they are cheaper ... my concern is my ball mounts are 40” and the attached photo it says 40.25” for the Canadian. Am I safe to assume that that is the total open height and that the closed measure should still be able to attach to my current mounts?
attachicon.gif
IMG_6151.JPG
That's my post re the Canadian (Gemini) struts. I've seen the 40" figure thrown out more as a category (distinguished from the 30 inchers) rather than an exact measurement. The 1/4 inch "extra" is not a problem. They will fit.

Well that is good news... appreciate the reassurance. I just hate buying something only to realize I did not cover all the bases.

Hi Buckland,

Do you happen to have a link to your mentioned DIY? I have a 2013 Eagle on my 2016 Tacoma, so your setup is similar to mine. Your experience is invaluable.

A couple of quick questions:
-Did you make those (sweet!) plates or order them?
-You're happy with using adhesive tape to affix? I'm thinking of using 3M VHB
-If we put 40lbs struts on the front and back, do you figure we pull down the roof if nothing is on it? I'll eventually have a carrier and a couple of SUP's up there, but there may be short trips when i won't.

Thanks!!

I have searched (2015) all over and can't find it but I can send you a PDF file via your email. So send me a message with your email and I will send it along to you... it is 3 years old but it works.
* I just went to a metal shop and asked them to cut me 2 pieces from: 1" stock and the other from 2" stock....real cheap then I drilled my own holes... aluminum is soft and if you go slow it is easy.
* The byutle (spelling?) tape is 1/8" thick... great stuff but it is best to stretch it out so it is thinner... once sealed no water will ever get through.
* I am going for the 40 pound soon... right now I have the 30 pound and they are fine when lowering...I have yakima bars and a solar panel and sand mats up there. I don not know what it would be like to pull down without anything there but if you don't have solar now you probably will ... or a rack.... 30's work for me. But I also keep the crank speaker stand handy either way as my wife, should she need to, would have a bit o trouble without it.

If you ever have difficulty lowering the roof with 40 pounders, just close the door and windows, turn the fan on high exhaust, and the suction will practically lower the roof for you.

For those who have order struts from Gemini, can you also order the mounting pieces that attaches into the camper frame from them (ball studs?)? I have a swift shell that does not currently have any struts.

Hi all- I put Suspa springs on my Hawk two years ago. The shafts are so rusted that they barely work now. Has anyone else experienced this? If not then I’m wondering if the Amazon vendor sent me knock-offs. I haven’t seen any of the factory-installed lifts rust out like this.

The offset brackets I used have not rusted at all, on the other hand. I used the stainless s316 brackets from liftsupportdepot.com.

Buyer beware on Amazon: what are sold as C16-15952 struts, which is a Suspa part number, by a vendor called DXZ Wholesale, which also uses Suspa's catalog photo on Amazon, are not actually Suspa struts. They are cheap knock-offs. I noticed on FWC factory-installed Suspa struts that the shafts were black and the info is printed straight onto the strut. The crappy ones I got from the Amazon vendor had chromed shafts and the info was on stickers on the strut instead of painted on. As I said in my prior post, they rusted and failed in short order. I recently replaced them with the real thing direct from Suspa for only a few dollars more. They are obviously better quality. Suspa also confirmed that they have had problems with Amazon vendors selling knock-offs. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom