FWC Getaway: How long does it take you?

huckfinn

Advanced Member
Hi,

After several years of backwoods camping and rock climbing my wife and I are thinking of getting a Fleet Shell for our 2015 Tacoma access cab. After reading here at the forum for a month or so, I think I have an idea of what might be right for us, but I have some questions that I hope someone might help me with. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Although we're pretty organized, it still takes us a couple hours to load the bed of the truck with our gear. I'm hoping the Fleet might help us be more spontaneous about getting out of town. How long does take you to prepare for a trip with a FWC?

It seems like many leave their camper on the truck most of the year. How long does it take you to load your camper onto the truck? What might make it go faster? I wondered if exterior tie-downs might help?

We ski, but I don't think we'd use the camper for skiing, so most of our camping would be three season, and most in California. Is there a compelling reason why we should get the arctic pack anyway if cost is not the issue?

Right now, my idea is use the Arb fridge, the camp stove, and the two agm batteries we already have. I was thinking of buying a Wave heater, and installing some kind of human-powered water system and sink into the countertop, like the Tardis buildout. I think we'd prefer to cook outdoors most of the time, anyway, on our portable table. For extra storage, especially firewood, I was thinking of some kind of hitch platform. What problems do you see with this configuration?

What would be the best options to increase the sense of indoor/outdoor space? I guess, I'm thinking mostly of windows. Would a side dinette have the best chance of having a window to look out of?

I pretty sure we're gonna go for this, shooting to have the buildout done by summer. Thanks again for any help

About 45 minutes to an hour seems to be average to get the camper on. Mine rarely comes off. I keep enough supplies, clothes and food, though mostly meant for emergencies (canned and dry food, two day supply of clothes including jacket and gloves) I can take off with a moments notice. A normal weekender is probably closer to a two hour take off including purchasing food, grabbing the camera, bbq and assorted items. More time for a longer trip but I tend to overpack.

I don't have an arctic pack yet and my winter trips are pretty much no more than weekend trips and for those running the heater is fine. I also have a pretty warm winter bag in the camper.

I've been thinking of doing a hitch platform myself. Can't help you with the interior, when I'm in its eating sleeping, not looking out the window.

Huck, Good questions.
It takes us one hour to pack the Eagle. Years of tent and camper shell camping taught us how to organize. Eagle is bolted onto the Tacoma.

Click on the link in my signature and review our "basic build" for sink, water system ideas and prices.

Arctic pack
Worth the price. Insulates cold out in the winter. Much of summer heat out.

We use storage tubs for kitchen gear. Cook outside most of time.

Most of our trips are to the desert in winter. We bought it to get out of the wind and blowing sand, sleep off the ground, warm, dry place to read. The outside is our living room and kitchen when the wind not blowing.

Viewing window
You won't be able to sit at a table and look outside. Camper pass- window top even with the middle of your back. Bottom of the canvass window is at the top of my head. ( I'm 6 foot tall). Windows are to let light in and provide an emergency exit.

Mandatory Shell options
2 solar plugs ( pre- wired). If you add a compressor fridge you should install a 100 watt solar panel on the roof.
Yakima rails ( good mounting points for aluminum framed solar panels)
Ricoh hydraulic camper lifters ( even if you bolt it down, sooner or later you will have to take it off. Price goes up over time).
Inside or outside roof lifters. More stuff you put on roof- heavier load to lift.

FWC includes screen door and LED lights now.

Other options
Owner preference.

Heater: We use a portable catalytic by Mr. Heater (see link on my post) because we didn't order the integrated propane bottle cabinet

The awning is worth the investment if you camp for 2-3 days at a time in a sunny spot.

In over two years we have hardly used the fan, maybe 10% of the time. Doing it again. I think I would order the Fantastic fan installed in a second vent over the bed because a sleeper needs air movement near their body.

Since you mentioned wanting to use a Wave heater, I would recommend that you ask FWC to install the propane box so you have a nice vented spot for two of the 2.5 gallon tanks. I would also recommend a Fantastic fan. In addition to the thermal insulation of the arctic pack, it does a good job of darkening the inside of the shell.

For places where a campfire is not practical, or not permitted, consider getting something like a Little Red Campfire. It stores small(ish), you don't have to carry wood, and can be run off your propane tanks, and probably off a 1 pound cylinder if you use a steak saver. You also don't have to deal with wood on a hitch platform.

BTW, the 2.5 gallon tanks are pricy, so check with FWC to see what their prices are. It might be a good idea to buy from them.

Like allot of those here, I leave the FWC on all the time so it's always loaded with camping and survival gear, canned food, bottled water, charcoal, full propane tank and camping clothes/boots and some books. Before I got my new solar panels, compressor frig, comptroller, and extra ATM, I would plug the camper in to shore power the night before I left and then take my time to load up my rig and be off first thing in the morning. Now with the solar always charging the batteries all the time, it only takes a few hours to turn on and charge up (I guess I should say "cool" down) the frig. Depending on how long I plan to be away (probably 2-3 days to two weeks[being retired is grand]), maybe an hour to load up the frig, throw my clothes, dog food and ready pack in the truck, make sure all systems are go, then stop by the store to get ice for the beer cooler and any other last minute goodies and off to WTWing.

Something else I do, is fill the water tank up, let it sit for a few hours, then drain it and fill it up again; I use this water for cooking and dishes and usually don't drink it. I have an arctic pack and usually cook outside and use the interior stove for coffee water and cooking in bad weather (like everything else on this site, there are lot's of threads on this and related subjects). Again, like many here I'm outside most of the time or sitting under the awning if the sun is to hot or it's raining . I try to park so I can look out the side window (if the awning is up it blocks some of the far away views) from my couch and point the truck so I can look out the screen door( hardly ever shut the door) and see who's coming.

I don't use storage tubs, just use the back seat and the on board storage areas (seems like you never have enough space to carry all the goodies you think you need), as an old back packer I should know better, but I seem to carry more gear than I need-but you can never know when that unexpected thing happens out there and you need it :p ! Handy Man, come along, tow rope, wd-40, tire repair kit- you name it, I probably have it; it's amazing what you take if you don't have to pack it on your back.

Enjoy

Smoke

I have my camper on fill time. I am guessing that the time it takes me to get ready is only what I need to put in the truck like clothes and a little food. I keep the cupboards stocked so actually I can stay anywhere at any time for about 3 to 4 days. But for an actual trip I am thinking less than an hour. Here is a link to my video of my camper.

http://youtu.be/ERw4OFbJ-L4?list=UU6duVaMynpUMz1ZSLjfAZDQ

"Little Red Fire" - Good Idea "Wandering"
$105.00 from Amazon with free freight. See video link: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58031-Little-Campfire-Propane/dp/B000O51VJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419534533&sr=8-1&keywords=little+red+campfire

Campfires
For a social interaction and low mess we use pine 2 x 4's cut in 1 foot lengths. We carry them in a "milk" crate inside the camper. No bugs because its clean wood. Camper can split the pieces to get kindling with a small hatchet or use "fat wood" fire starter http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fatwood+box&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=41137744195&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14806621047768337766&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_12jf953equ_b

A milk carton load will give you enough wood for 2-3 small fires. Pine doesn't require a hot ash base to burn. Grandkids have short attention spans. Camper can get a pine fire stated in less than 2-3 minutes and have the "some-mores" cooking in less than 8 minutes.

huckfinn said:
Hi,

After several years of backwoods camping and rock climbing my wife and I are thinking of getting a Fleet Shell for our 2015 Tacoma access cab. After reading here at the forum for a month or so, I think I have an idea of what might be right for us, but I have some questions that I hope someone might help me with. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Although we're pretty organized, it still takes us a couple hours to load the bed of the truck with our gear. I'm hoping the Fleet might help us be more spontaneous about getting out of town. How long does take you to prepare for a trip with a FWC?

It seems like many leave their camper on the truck most of the year. How long does it take you to load your camper onto the truck? What might make it go faster? I wondered if exterior tie-downs might help?

We ski, but I don't think we'd use the camper for skiing, so most of our camping would be three season, and most in California. Is there a compelling reason why we should get the arctic pack anyway if cost is not the issue?

Right now, my idea is use the Arb fridge, the camp stove, and the two agm batteries we already have. I was thinking of buying a Wave heater, and installing some kind of human-powered water system and sink into the countertop, like the Tardis buildout. I think we'd prefer to cook outdoors most of the time, anyway, on our portable table. For extra storage, especially firewood, I was thinking of some kind of hitch platform. What problems do you see with this configuration?

What would be the best options to increase the sense of indoor/outdoor space? I guess, I'm thinking mostly of windows. Would a side dinette have the best chance of having a window to look out of?

I pretty sure we're gonna go for this, shooting to have the buildout done by summer. Thanks again for any help
Just my 2¢:
Unless you are concerned about theft, I keep my climbing and camping gear in the camper, along with the clothes I use for camping/backpacking. I also keep basic foodstuffs in the camper so I could just jump in and go, although I usually shuffle stuff around based on where and how long I am going. I keep lists, so it doesn't take long to put a trip togather and I am not worried about forgetting something.

Takes me about an hour to load the camper and tie it down (I have a very tight fit).

Camper will stay cleaner if you do all your cooking outside. i use an X-GK for all my cooking. Only boil water inside. I use 1 gallon jugs for my water supply; easy to fill, easy to carry, easy to see my water supply, easy to use (2 L pop bottles work well also, except for filling). Use a plastic tub for a sink. Dispose of water outside.

Cargo carrier makes a nice porch, if you can keep it from rocking. Probably still need a step or two (or young legs). Will affect your departure angle.

I'm 5'9", my chest is even with the top of the windows when I am sitting.

I went with a MaxxFan, so I can keep it open even in a driving rain.

jim

I store my hawk up at the height of my truck bed w/casters bolted to each jack stand The time required to load properly and remove the jacks is closer to 15 min. Usually the nite before so can plug in and add to the reefer. The big difference is keeping staples stocked and bedding ready. Add clothes and cocktails you're ready to rock!

hebegebe said:
I store my hawk up at the height of my truck bed w/casters bolted to each jack stand The time required to load properly and remove the jacks is closer to 15 min. Usually the nite before so can plug in and add to the reefer. The big difference is keeping staples stocked and bedding ready. Add clothes and cocktails you're ready to rock!
Do you have any photos, or a source for the casters?

All great info, everyone, thank you for sharing your real world experience. From everything I've heard it seems like a FWC really makes getting out there easier. I think we're gonna bite, and go to the showroom in a couple weeks. When I start our buildout I'll be sure to post pics.

Mark

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Do you have any photos, or a source for the casters?
Here's the casters I use for mine, was a topic here a few months ago & most were frowning about the use of casters while camper was raised up on jacks. I have no problem with mine & only push the camper around the 3 car barn with smooth concrete floor, push 10 feet with them, to get camper close to a door or out of the way, so we can work on something .

Mine are the 2127 AL rated 600 lbs, when we used to move special equipment, past job, many times had 900 + on them. YMMV.
http://www.bondcaster.com/mhdollies1.html

Mine was on full time last year from purchase in April thru early December. It will be going back on at the end of February or early march as I'm headed on a desert climbing trip in mid-March.

I keep basic foodstuffs in the camper and run the compressor fridge all the time (solar panels charging daily) so I can keep perishables on board as well. The bed stays made up and some clothes and boots stay in the camper.

I don't leave my climbing gear in the camper most of the time because what rope(s) I take and trad versus sport gear is dependent on where I'm going but that takes me all of about 5 minutes to through together along with the appropriate guidebook so I can leave right after work. I do drink the water I carry onboard so know where the places I can fill are or I will fill at work during lunch.

My camper is on full time. When I come home from a trip, I remove soiled items and immediately clean them and put them back.. I also replace dry foods that were consumed. Every other month, I drain the water tank and refill it. My first propane tank has lasted 6 months. It takes me about thirty mins to fill the freezer and ice box the morning of a trip.

Mark,

We purchased a fully loaded Grandby and took delivery 8/1/14. We keep the camper at a storage place nearby. It takes me 45 minutes to load the camper. If we are going on a weekend trip I pick the camper up on Thursday afternoon. I plug in shore power, turn the fridge on and fill the water tank. On Friday, I stock the cold fridge and we leave as soon as my wife gets home from work. For a weekend trip we usually take a small carry-on bag with clothes. It probably takes me an hour to load the container with grill, cooler, chairs, and small tables into the back of the truck. When we go for a week or more, we store all of our clothes under the front dinette seats. We only store a few things in the camper aisle when we leave, the 7 gallon gray water container. The electrical cords, 30 amp and 50 amp adapters all go under the rear seat, with hoses behind the seat.

I'm not a builder, nor do I have the skills that would have allowed me to purchase a shell. With that said the purchase of a fully loaded camper was the only option. Even with the furnace we had condensation in cold weather. You will probably have more with the Wave or Buddy heaters. The other posts all had good ideas. We have 100watt solar on the roof and a plug for an additional 80 watt panel, along with 2 AGM batteries. The idea to put Yakima rails on the roof with the addition of solar later is a good idea. I would suggest a roof plug and a rear wall plug, so you can add an additional panel later.

We have a water heater, sink, 2 burner stove. We use our Weber "Q" grill to grill or cook our meals. The stove boils water for our coffee press. To date we haven't used it to cook a meal.

Originally I was going to purchase the 80 watt 2nd solar panel. The dealer talked me out of it. He said I might want to consider the wind generator, and to wait until we camped for a year. That was a good idea. We like to move around and the wind generator would have been a pain to dismantle the pole, etc. We keep the camper covered when stored, which means we need to pull the tarp back once a month to solar charge the batteries. A second panel would allow me to plug-in in the morning and unplug and take the panel down, without removing the tarp.

Bill Harr has posted several times the link to his shell build out. There are several others that have posted their builds. This site is the greatest.

Also there is another portable campfire - Campfire in a Can http://www.campfireinacan.com/
which looks more real than the Red Campfire. It also comes with fake logs or the glass pellets, so you have 2 choices.

Good luck.

JD

Huck - if you are looking for a newish Wave 3 heater, I have one for sale. Also an older Wave 3 for sale too. Since we use our ATC Ocelot in cold weather, I am replacing the Wave 3 with a Propex furnace. Send me a PM if you want some photos and prices. Also, we use a hitch step for getting in/out which works great and acts as good protection when you get rear-ended....
We cook in the camper most of the time and as long as you are careful with what you cook, we have not had any issues, even in grizzly country. We also do not have any kind of water system beyond 5 gln jugs and a wash basin and have no need for a sink and water pump. But everyone has different ways of outfitting and the great thing about these campers is the ability to customize them yourself. Have fun building!

Huck, as you know by now everyone wants and uses their camper differently. Mine is on all the time unless I need to use the truck as a truck; and then I put it back on. Being retired is great and we plan most of our trips except a quick day or two trip. We keep staples in the camper and all bedding made up. I drain my water tank when I get back from a trip and fill the day before we leave. We use plastic bins for our clothes and they fit in my under the counter storage. I turn on the compressor fridge the night before but it really only takes 2 hours to cool down. We do load the fridge after it has been running two hours. The fridge is packed full when we leave, we like frozen vegetables in a bag that heat on the stove top. And ice cream, did I mention I love my compressor fridge. There is always canned goods in the camper if needed. I keep chairs, folding table etc in the back seat of the truck. I would say it takes us under an hour to get everything ready to go.

We have a Coleman fold and go bar b q and cook anything greasy on it. We do cook inside not a problem for us. I like setting at the dinette when it is cold or windy outside. Looking forward to what you decide on.

Most of us prefer to cook outside using the inside stove mainly for boiling water and such. That said its a real nice option to have when the weather turns bad or your barbecue suddenly takes a dump (mine did). Also its nice if you just want to warm something up and not actually set up camp.

We definitely are different. I love my sink and onboard water.

Back
Top Bottom