FWC Grandby Shell Customizations, Revisited

RicoV

Hi folks,
As a followup to my 4/14/2012 post of the same name in this forum, here are pics of some more of our Grandby Shell improvements, described in order of their appearance below: A homebuilt exterior Reflectix wrap for layering over the Grandby's popup vinyl, cost about $40 in materials and 7 hours of time to cut the appropriate window passages and apply industrial stick-on velcro; it's ~37' long and 24" high to precisely envelop the popup surface area, and rolls up into a tight, 4-lb, 12" diameter bundle; we expect to use it only for the very chilly, toasty, or stormy weather that it was designed to target; a cheap alternative to an arctic-pack for those so inclined, and no resulting interior condensation (because it mounts on the outside); thanks go to MarkBC for the original inspiration for what we set out to do; subsequent shots show the various window configs: storm flaps, awning style for gentle rain or full sun, and fully open. Other shots: An upper shelf added to our lower cabinet. Our two cats' water and food bowls velcro'd to the cabinet surface. Cats' high-sided litter box. See-through clothing organizers in the upper loft, more sense for us than suitcases or other options. A soft guitar case allows me to bring along my well-used 1970 Martin D-28 in the upper loft, it's sure great being able to play my trusty axe while out and about. Leftover pieces of Reflectix from the wrap were used to make an ice-chest cover that helps keep the cooler's ice from melting so fast. A front fork lockdown mounted on the right-hand outer side of the cargo step allows me to skewer my mountain bike forks at a right angle to the rest of the bike, for more efficient space utilization and solid contact with the truck/camper unit . U-bolts and two-sided velcro straps provide the rear bike wheel with a flexible but secure lockdown on the left-hand outer side of the cargo step. More pics to come one of these days when time permits. We're sure enjoying our ability to get way way out in the Wild West boondocks in Grandby high style; it's many large steps up in comfort and amenities from our previous tent-camping.
RicoV

Attachments

• ext_reflectix_wrap1.jpg
    ext_reflectix_wrap1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 458
  • ext_reflectix_wrap2.jpg
    ext_reflectix_wrap2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 456
  • ext_reflectix_wrap3.jpg
    ext_reflectix_wrap3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 380
  • ext_reflectix_wrap4.jpg
    ext_reflectix_wrap4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 380
  • ext_reflectix_wrap5.jpg
    ext_reflectix_wrap5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 381
  • cabinet_upper_shelf.jpg
    cabinet_upper_shelf.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 367
  • velcro-anchored_cat_bowls.jpg
    velcro-anchored_cat_bowls.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 353
  • tall-sided_cat_litter_box.jpg
    tall-sided_cat_litter_box.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 345
  • his_hers_clothing_organizers.jpg
    his_hers_clothing_organizers.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 319
  • soft_guitar_case.jpg
    soft_guitar_case.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 326
  • reflectix_duct-tape_cooler_cover.jpg
    reflectix_duct-tape_cooler_cover.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 357
  • mtn-bike_front_fork_anchor_cargo_step.jpg
    mtn-bike_front_fork_anchor_cargo_step.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 367
  • mtn-bike_rear_wheel_anchors_cargo_step.jpg
    mtn-bike_rear_wheel_anchors_cargo_step.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 355
Hi RicoV,

Nice work and thanks for the photos. I like the idea of the Reflectix on the outside. Nice job on the windows. How is the Reflectix attached to the outside of the fabric?

Ted

@ Ted: The exterior wrap just rolls out beginning from a designated spot directly above the camper door, then progressively encapsulates the liner (held in place just by maintaining surface tension against the liner). Then the ending edge overlaps the beginning edge by several inches with large industrial velcro strips for a more-or-less snug cinch (as in the 2nd pic). It's not too tough for my wife and me to mount the exterior wrap esp. after a few times gaining experience (and as long as wind isn't much of a factor). Old-style 24" bungee cords (with the thin bendable hooks) can be effectively used at the 6 roof clamps to help hold the exterior wrap in place during the install, then can be removed after it's cinched up. Granted, I'm over 6' tall so this exercise isn't too difficult, whereas less-tall folks might find it somewhat more challenging.
I'd recommend this exterior wrap for folks who want a cheap and simple way to extend their comfort in weather that is either cooler, warmer, or wetter than they're normally accustomed to FWCing in (note, we have no heater or A/C in our shell). In theory any interior condensation should diminish with the exterior wrap because temperature extremes and corresponding dewpoints are effectively buffered outside the liner, not inside. And we're hoping the wrap's window flaps, velcro'd down in storm window position, will prevent any leaks through the liner's windows if we get wind-driven rain while camped.

You should look into an NRS strap for the rear wheels. Much more secure, as I wouldn't trust my bike to velcro. A voile strap would even be an improvement. Nice mods.

Do you have any pictures of the bike mounted to the camper? Any issues traveling down the road with it yet? thank you, JR

@ flipskid... JR, I'll be posting another set of pics in the near future, and will make sure to take several pics of my mtn bike mounted in place, and what I used for a secure but flexible tiedown schema. It's fairly ingenious if I dare say myself... stay tuned.

Hi Roco,

Thanks for the detailed pictures.

I like your idea of the clear storage bags for clothes and the insulation for the cooler.

@ RC Pilot: Jim, actually we're in So. AZ and we mostly explore the same territory as you. We do plan on a few future trips to Alaska and the No. Rockies where the Refectix wrap should come in handy on at least a few occasions. It's already proven itself reflecting the late spring desert sun and expect that it'll do as well insulating against those dry-cold nights during our winter camping in the Southwest. This will be especially true for us because we camp way out in the boonies, sans heater or A/C. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, we've found it's hard to beat Reflectix for quick and dirty insulating solutions.

RicoV: Now that a couple of years have passed, are you still loving the Reflectix as external insulation for the soft sides?
Any issues?
Does it stay close to the sides in wind?

Hi Mark,
Most of our trips this year have been in moderate weather, so the wrap didn't make those journeys, but the few times I've used it recently have definitely made a difference in comfort, in both hot and cold weather apps. As I've mentioned before, wind remains the primary nemesis. To that end I drilled a small ~3/32" hole in each of the 4 corners of the camper's roof (a mere 1/4" or so up from the roof's bottom edge), and used an unfurled jumbo paperclip attached to each corner to snag the wrap via a grommetted hole positioned at the appropriate point in the wrap. In this way I can unroll the wrap, attaching each corner as I walk the roll around the camper, and the clips more-or-less hold the wrap in proper position while I cinch the wrap down with the velcro'd ends. This can be a 1-man job if it's calm out, but I still need a little of my wife's assistance if it's breezy (more common). I'm still sold on the concept, even if its execution is not as perfectly ideal as I'd like it to be. Maybe I'll have more brainstorms on potential improvements as time goes on. Do let me know if you decide to attempt an external wrap for yourself, as I'd like to hear about any future experiences you might have with it. Your locale in OR would suggest that you'd potentially gain enormous benefit during the cooler months. A trip to Steens for fall colors would probably be a good test of it, eh?
Rico

I'm not RicoV of course, but I took a crack at a Reflectix wrap. Only used it once or twice but I think it made a difference, and I'm hoping to find a way to make it work on the coldest nights this winter.

Good to know about the holes and clips. I also put some D rings on my roof using the existing screws (for holding a portable solar panel in place while parked), and something like that might come in handy for a wrap. If there was a way to secure the bottom of the wrap, that'd be ideal for keeping the wind out (and heat in). But I can't imagine how to do that without drilling a hole.

IMG_0924.JPG

Back
Top Bottom