FWC Hawk screen door latch

DavidGraves

Our 2012 Hawk shell has a factory installed screen door.

The latch is difficult to adjust....it will not open WITH the main door but usually needs to be opened separately.

Is this a common problem ?

Any insight ?

Many thanks

David Graves

north Oregon coast

Agreed that it is tricky to adjust. Lots of trial and error. I moved mine (2014 Hawk) up slightly on the door by drilling new holes. Don't think it helped much.

Howdy

My first question is whether the screen door is supposed to open with the main door ?

On our 2016 Fleet, the screen door opens with the main door if it is latched to it.
The screen door has two positions, latched to the main door or latched to the camper with the main door open.
Not sure what you mean by "adjusting" the latch.

Our 2009 Hawk has a screen door. There's a black plastic catch on the main door that lifts and captures the handle of the screen door latch so the screen door opens with the main door.

The catch on the main door not only holds the screen door to the main door but also lifts the screen door latch handle high enough so the screen door latch doesn't engage the door frame. That way, the screen door moves with the main door and doesn't need any separate attention. In this configuration, it is the main door latch and not the screen door latch that holds the doors closed.

When I want to close the screen door but leave the main door open, I lift the screen door handle off the main door black plastic latch. That allows the screen door handle to drop down enough so it will engage the door frame and hold the screen door closed by itself even with the main door open.

The trick is to adjust the black plastic catch on the main door so that it holds the screen door latch handle high enough so that the screen door latch doesn't engage the door frame when both doors are closed. This may take a bit of adjustment. For sure, you don't want the screen door to both be captured by the main door catch AND engage the door frame when the doors are closed. Then you are liable to break the screen door handle/latch when you open the main door because that pulls on the screen door at the same time the screen door latch stays engaged in the door frame.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks.....I will take a close look tomorrow.....I think you have me moving in the right direction.

Esimmers provided an EXCELLENT description of how the latch works. During my trial and error adjustment process I did indeed adjust it to the point where the screen door engaged both the main door and the door frame latch. Had to climb in through the window to get the door open.

So be careful or have a second person in the camper to help in case this happens to you.

Greetings

On closer inspection.....GOT A PHOTO ???

My screen door latch is located well below the main door mechanism......and in no way connected.

There are no "ghost" holes where something else had been attached or removed.....

The latch was broken and mostly missing when we bought the rig in 2015.... year model is 2012.

I would not mind opening both doors separately but, as of now, the main door tries to open the screen door and requires a yank.

Sure appreciate the help.

I worked with sort of thing before retirement and this make me feel especially stupid.

David Graves

esimmers said:
Our 2009 Hawk has a screen door. There's a black plastic catch on the main door that lifts and captures the handle of the screen door latch so the screen door opens with the main door.

The catch on the main door not only holds the screen door to the main door but also lifts the screen door latch handle high enough so the screen door latch doesn't engage the door frame. That way, the screen door moves with the main door and doesn't need any separate attention. In this configuration, it is the main door latch and not the screen door latch that holds the doors closed.

When I want to close the screen door but leave the main door open, I lift the screen door handle off the main door black plastic latch. That allows the screen door handle to drop down enough so it will engage the door frame and hold the screen door closed by itself even with the main door open.

The trick is to adjust the black plastic catch on the main door so that it holds the screen door latch handle high enough so that the screen door latch doesn't engage the door frame when both doors are closed. This may take a bit of adjustment. For sure, you don't want the screen door to both be captured by the main door catch AND engage the door frame when the doors are closed. Then you are liable to break the screen door handle/latch when you open the main door because that pulls on the screen door at the same time the screen door latch stays engaged in the door frame.

Hope that helps.
As requested, here are photos showing the location of the catch on the main door that holds the screen door handle high enough so that the screen door latch doesn't engage the door frame when both doors are closed together.

Attachments

• IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9374.jpg
    IMG_9374.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 80
I have a August 2012 hawk and the latch for the screen door is a little different than esimmers so I have attached a few photos.

First the clip that holds the screen door isn't level the door handle is and you can see it is not even close.

door latch.jpg

Here is a photo showing the clip holding the screen door to the main door when attached it also holds the latch for the screen door down so it doesn't engage with the door frame when closed. This is why it is at that funny angle.

door latch overall.jpg

This photo shows the screen door just before engaging with the clip, notice the catch for the screen door that attaches to the door frame sticking out.

without latch engaged.jpg

One last photo, here is the screen door attached to the latch here the catch for the screen door that attaches to the door frame is held in.

latch engaged.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thanks to all for the help and the photos.

I was able to solve my screen door problem by reaming the plastic latch mounting holes.....to get a better adjustment.

It took me a while to understand that the screen door is connected to the main door all the time unless you un-hook it to use it separately.

David Graves

I found the OEM arrangement awkward and replaced it with magnets. Two small round ones between the door and the screen and a larger, but weaker, one to hold the screen shut. When the door is opened, the screen comes with it. I got the magnets from McMaster-Carr. I can post pics, if anyone is interested.

- Bernard

Hi Bernard

I think my door is aluminum....can I buy some of those magnets !

LOL

It is always interesting to see the changes in a product over the years.....

Thanks for the response

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom