FWC Hawk with mods

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed your pictures and upgrades you have made to your Hawk.

I am buying my first 4WC the end of this month - 4WC Fleet Shell (75" wide). My question is about the stock mattress. Since you switched to a Hide-a-bed mattress I wonder how much support the stock one provides? Did you switch because of no support? or another reason.

4WC will be extending the bed further into the cabin so two people I can sleep fore and aft as well as one person side to side. I planned to cut the stock mattress to queen size configuration which will give me about 12" empty space for linen/clothes storage and allow for fitted sheet on bed.

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

I switched the mattress for the comfort. Originally I had the 2" folded foam supplied with the slideout. Slept on it one night and was not good. I just happened to have a new queen size hide-a-bed at the house, did some measuring and it fit prefect. The hide-a-bed mattress is designed to fold, so it is easy to fit with the slideout closed. The mattress is about 3.5" thick, we leave the blankets/or sleeping bag and the pillows on the bed with the top down- it is a tight fit, but works. The hide-a-bed mattress is an innerspring type, so it "feels" normal to lay on. The solid bed area gives the mattress a very even support- not like a real hide-a-bed.

Thanks Tom

Back
Top Bottom