FWC hold downs not symmetrical

Tahoems

Advanced Member
When recounting my 2000 FWC Eagle recently I noticed the rear left and right hold down eyelets were set about 2" apart measured along the length of the camper. The camper has never sat really square to the truck so this probably explains that. Anyone have an explanation for this? Looks like original construction.

Hi

It should not matter....align the camper the way you want it and tighten all turnbuckles to a more or less equal tension.

Am I hearing your question right ?

David Graves

I've never looked that close to my 2001 Eagle but as David replied, I think if you adjust the turnbuckles correctly, it should be fine.

I am not the original owner, but I was surprised to find this. The one turnbuckle dosen't reach the extra 2 inches so Ive been using a eye hook from a ratchet strap to make up the difference.

I'm more curious to hear if this was an overlooked quality control issue or maybe it was sold as-is.

Hi

Anything might have been done to the camper to suit any owners need...do you see a second hole in plywood where tie down had been located earlier ?

Perhaps an earlier owner's truck had tie down points different than you own.

Strong mounting points in the truck bed depend on what is under the sheet metal.

David Graves

Tahoems said:
Anyone have an explanation for this? Looks like original construction.
Could the rear eyelets have been placed in a more "even" location or is there something about the original construction that might have prevented the builder from doing that.

It's a good question you've raised. For myself, I'd rather the holdowns were "evenly" placed. Can't say for sure it matters tho.

Also interested if others have a similar situation.

Back
Top Bottom