FWC HT option (Hard Side)

imcolej

Advanced Member
With my current obsession with all things off road campers, I would like to know what you all think about the FWC hard side option. Pro, Cons and any reviews from folks that actually have them. I haven't seen a lot of information about them and I wonder how many people are ordering them vs. the pop ups.

I have seen all the pictures on www.fourwh.com and read the announcement/interview on truckcampermagazine.com. I am interested in the hardside option primarily for two reasons.

1) Cold weather use - Less condensation, more insulation etc. for use when hunting or snowboarding in the winter.

2) Better noise suppression. - If we were in a crowded, loud campground or had to sleep in a walmart parking lot etc. I like the idea of have the hard side as a buffer.

Mostly, my wife and I like to camp off grid in somewhat remote areas which is what originally led me to the FWC. I'd also like to have this be a hunting/fishing rig as well. I would like to get 4 season use out of the camper and have my doubts about it being able to handle this. (Not sure the HT option would handle it either).

Would I get almost as far with just the Arctic Pack vs. the hard side?

I went back and forth with considering a larger hard side and just don't feel comfortable with the idea of a huge hard side that is not built very well. I keep coming back to the FWC as the camper of choice for those who want durability and the ability to get off road. That is why the HT option seemed like a happy medium between a big hard side and a FWC pop up.

I have read an insane amount on the forum and appreciate all the great information you all provide. We are still in the saving money stage and won't be able to get a pop up or hard side any time soon but must feed my addiction by researching what we will get down the road.

This is all theory based for me as all the camping I've done has been out of a tent. So I appreciate any insight in to whether some of my questions or concerns are not realistic.

I currently have a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double cab and figure I could get away with the pop up or ht option.

A lot of questions in here, and I can't comment on a comparison with a hard side camper but I will say that there are plenty of us here that camp in cold weather with arctic packs (or home made versions) and combined with our heaters they keep things quite warm. There are some minor issues with condensation, not sure if it would be the same with a hard side or not.

By the sounds of your camping preferences a pop up would seem to be the choice for you. I have seen the HT's in person and they are nice and are no doubt very durable, but i think ultimately it comes down to clearance and where you envision taking your rig. good luck.

Thanks for the reply SunMan. Your rig and trip reports originally got me interested in this set up. Yeah, I probably have too many questions in this post.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone on WTW had the HT option. The more I think about it the more I think that the popup would be a better fit for us. We like to travel in open areas but also like to travel down forest roads so clearance will be limited. I'll start paying more attention to overhead clearance when I'm driving in the areas we like to explore.

Thanks for the reply SunMan. Your rig and trip reports originally got me interested in this set up. Yeah, I probably have too many questions in this post.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone on WTW had the HT option. The more I think about it the more I think that the popup would be a better fit for us. We like to travel in open areas but also like to travel down forest roads so clearance will be limited. I'll start paying more attention to overhead clearance when I'm driving in the areas we like to explore.

I have not seen a member here with the HT option (unless they are lurking).

Happy to help
smile.gif

I have a Grandby and a Lance 9.5' so one of each and have been contemplating just getting one FWC HT. I have been in cold weather (9f) in the Grandby and can stay warm using a Wave 3 heater. If I were planning more extended cold I would move to a Wave 6. Condensation can be a problem at least with 2 people and 2 dogs! In the Lance there really isn't a condensation problem although I have only been into the upper 20's with it so far. The HT is better in terms of access, that full door is nice. I'm sure my fuel economy suffers, of course the Lance weights a good 1200# more )-: I got the Lance because my wife wanted the shower and when I was traveling East I preferred having AC as an option. Clearance isn't much of an issue for me, there are no trees in the desert :D but I do need to pay more attention in campgrounds and drive throughs. As for the extra weight (on my F250) I added Helwig Big Wig sway bars that keeps the whole thing where it shoould be.

If someone got me down on the ground, put me in a headlock and said I had to give up my FWC and get a hard side I would take a hard look at these: http://www.livinlite.com/truck-campers

I was attracted to those as well but decided to spend 4k on a used HT first rather than 20+. The interior is nice for easy cleaning but it seems like they could make better use of the space, not much storage for a good size unit.

If someone got me down on the ground, put me in a headlock and said I had to give up my FWC and get a hard side I would take a hard look at these: http://www.livinlite.com/truck-campers

Yeah, I have definitely researched the Camplite 8.6 Model

Think I'd have to go into 3/4 ton territory for that one though.

I agree with Barko, I think they need another year or two to develop the interior a bit more. Is just seems unfinished to me but I think they have a great line up and are pushing the TC industry which is a really good thing.

They are still in the running but I need to start climbing into some of these TC's already. You can only learn so much from reading internet forums :)

I like the idea of easy living inside a hard top. But the increase in fuel economy and better clearance makes a pop up the right choice for me.

If you were not concerned about the above, I can see the advantages to a hard sided camper. Some of my pop up thoughts are in this post, Pop-up and the Soft Sides.

I like the idea of easy living inside a hard top. But the increase in fuel economy and better clearance makes a pop up the right choice for me.

If you were not concerned about the above, I can see the advantages to a hard sided camper. Some of my pop up thoughts are in this post, Pop-up and the Soft Sides.

Thanks for the link. I've been following your thread pretty closely. It's amazing what you've done with your camper. Congrats! If I had 10% of that skill for custom work I'd be looking into the shell option myself. However, I don't so I have to find something pretty much finished.

Like you mentioned in your thread, either way you go it's a compromise. I'm leaning towards the popup as fuel economy and clearance are important to me.

The way I see it:

75% of the time we will be in a more remote area where I would actually prefer to hear the outside noises. Plus we're coming from a tent so this is going to be a luxury setup regardless of whether it's a popup or hs.

20% of the time we'll probably be at a more developed camp ground/Walmart parking lot and we can put in some ear plugs.

4% of the time I will be in the chosen camper and be thinking the grass is greener in the option I didn't go with!

1% chance we will win the OR lottery tomorrow and go with a new XP and brand new 1 ton and be done with it!

Back
Top Bottom