FWC in the Wind and Rain

Vector1

To those of you with experience camping under these conditions, would one or two-week trips to the Oregon Coast, winter and spring, as the primary use, be a deal breaker?

Condensation and persistent dampness? Leaks? or just a big mistake, etc.

Thank You!

Not really. I think that is one of the pop-ups best selling points! I mean sitting out a major storm with rain and a high wind can be an adventure-especially that first time when it hits in the middle of the night-but not from leaks or tearing. Over time things can suffer wear and tear but that is why we check things out before we leave home and carry duck tape :love: and roof seal/glue or what ever you use to fill holes or patch tears(like with a back pack). In all these last 9 years of hard use in all sorts of climbs and conditions, the only time I suffered a major leak(s) was when I drilled a couple of screw holes to deep for my new solar panel and did not seal in the holes enough and a got a good leak; when it rained (solution) i dropped one end of the pop-up when the rain stopped,, dried off the where the holes were-used my tube of roof seal, filled it in , popped it up and stayed dry. The motto of owning one of these things is "be prepared for anything" and just enjoy your adventures out there in the boonies. .As a side note there have been many threads on this site about wind and rain and other hazards to your pop-up and once in while this sites' search engine works if you use it, but if you google your query you might get a faster answer!

Smoke

Every type of vehicle is damp and condensates if you come in wet and don't turn on the heater. FWC's work great, snow, sleet, rain,; however, hail gets a little noisy. Really high winds above 40-50 mph can require you to pop-down and sleep very close together so a more protected camp spot might be a consideration on the coast and in the desert. With that in mind, if all you plan to do is drive to the Oregon coast and camp in a RV or State Park; then a small trailer or hard sided camper would do just fine for a lot less money.

Vector1 said:
To those of you with experience camping under these conditions, would one or two-week trips to the Oregon Coast, winter and spring, as the primary use, be a deal breaker?

Condensation and persistent dampness? Leaks? or just a big mistake, etc.

Thank You!
If we had the time and opportunity to visit the Oregon Coast for 1 to 2 week long trips, we would not hesitate.

I am considering taking the kids at the end of the month to the Oregon coast. I expect wind and rain. The point of getting the camper was to camp in all four season. Wind and rain is easy-peasy.

To all, this is great news since I like everything else I hear and read about FWC. I've looked at nearly all the other brands and but the off-road properties of the FWC put it at the top of my list. I remember reading somewhere about condensation, but if all it takes is a quick sponge in the morning, then I'm fine. If it ends up rot behind the cabinets or under the bed, that might be another issue.

(Smokecreek1, et al., I'm taking your advice to do a further google search--maybe should have started with that, but FWC seems like they're constantly tweaking materials and design so I thought I'd start with the most up-to-date, and hearing 4/4 positive is encouraging further inquiry.)

Thank you all.

We did a trip up the coast from San Francisco to Seattle in December a few years ago- lots of rain and wind as you expect. We did experience quite a bit of condensation inside as the humidity was 100%! It was our first trip in those conditions and we didn't necessarily know how to manage the moisture. We might have had less trouble if we had kept the camper warmer with the furnace to dry out the air but that is hindsight- haven't had a chance to test that theory. As it was we used towels. It did not cause us undue hardship and we had a place to dry out after a week or so which was good and necessary. I wouldn't hesitate to do the trip again- the coast is beautiful and the crowds are absent that time of year.

If you are interested, the Oregon portions of our trip are written up here: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/01/winter-wandering-in-west-part-2.html and here: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/01/winter-wandering-in-west-part-3.html

I have camped with mine in rain and snow. The colder the temp, the more interior condensation. The rain itself really has nothing to do wit the condensation. Light condensation disappears on its own in an hour or less. In really cold temps a quick towel off does the trick. The campers are surprisingly weatherproof.

takeiteasy, thanks for the info and the links--will definitely be checking them out. Sounds like a great trip and it makes sense there's a learning curve to these campers. I live on the dry side, so I'll be able to open it up when I get home

Oregon_Troutbum, I believe I've seen your rig around town, I think--it's really slick. For me, I'll be honest, it's about steelhead and I've decided to leave them alone in our favorite river much past the end of October and find them on the coast instead.

I'm getting closer to a decision after several years lurking and fussing in "morbid rumination" and driving myself and everyone else otherwise nuts. Thanks to all!

I remember our first trip and we had heavy rain, kinda peaceful laying there. When the temp gets around freezing you will learn to adjust the heat/temp and have the vent cracked and a window open. We keep a towel in the cab over and wipe everything down in the morning. We purchased Marine Hypervent for under the matress to prevent condensation under the foam. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Depending on your temperament, wind can be kinda freaky because of all the shaking and shuddering, or it can be really nice because you are protected but still in the elements.

That said, I haven't (yet) been in crazy high winds where I'd have to pop-down the camper!

I wouldn't hesitate to put in a couple weeks on the Oregon Coast. I've spent a couple of weeks on Vancouver Island in autumn and spring and it was rainy and windy. And saw a wild storm off Bodega Bay once in December, as well. Wind is kinda bumpy; hail is annoyingly noisy. Don't do as I once did and forget which way I needed to turn the knob to lower the vent (you need it cracked but in heavy rain and wind keeping it wide open isn't too good). Otherwise the amount of dampness is pretty manageable and the camper is quite cozy.

If you get a lot of wet snow be sure to sweep the roof before lowering it. (Duh. Sorry to teach Auntie to suck eggs. Roof can come down pretty hard if you don't sweep.)

As has been stated use your furnace to keep the air warmer which helps greatly with condensation if at the same time you keep the skylight cracked for ventilation. Go ahead, burn some extra propane!

Re: wind I've camped in super bad wind storms and never felt unsafe with the top up. This is one of the main selling points for the FWC models.

Bearing in mind that it appears that absent-minded sorts have driven considerable distances at fairish speeds with the top popped, I'm not too worried about wind.

Had some really hard rain on our east coast trips. Nice being warm and dry at night listening to the rain come down. Jamala Beach in Southern Ca was the windiest I would say wind got over 40mph. Sand was blowing and hurt, video below.

My 2¢ worth. The wind is a non-issue. It might be noisy, but I wouldn't be concerned about the safety.

The condensation in winter is something that you will need to deal with. Heat, good ventilation and a wipe down of damp areas will take care of it. The area under the mattress is a place that needs attention in damp climes. As several folks have mentioned, a product like hypervent works well. After a trip, removing the pads, or blocking them up for an air space does the job.

There are lots of pop ups here in the northwest, so don't let the weather stop you.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
<snip.
After a trip, removing the pads, or blocking them up for an air space does the job.
There have been been many times on extended trips when we have had direct sunlight - and a rare lazy morning - where we have opened up the camper, removed the pads and placed them in the sun, and wiped everything down well. It does not hurt to stay on top of things.

I have dealt with both high winds and heavy rain in just the last few weeks. No problems at all. The newer models have the one piece roof so leaks are pretty uncommon.

Condensation is an issue - esp when it gets really cold.

Personally I prefer to spend money on propane to minimize the problem - but that is not the universal response here.

I also do the following -

Open the roof vent a crack - even on cold nights.
Open one of the lower doors (for the tie downs) to get airflow.
In the morning turn the heat up when I am getting ready to go and open the roof vent more.
Open the top during the heat of the day, usually while I get lunch, and turn on the blower. That helps a lot.
If it is really bad I run a camp towel around and pick up as much as I can before I put the top down. they towels dry in a few hours.
When I get home after a long trip with a lot of condensation I will put a dehumidifier in the camper with the top up for a day or two.
I have not been taking the pads out - but I think that is a good idea and I will probably start doing that.

Condensation really sucks, but you will have the same problem with any camper - it's not an FWC problem. Most people really make no effort to deal with it and that is when problems develop.

Also I NEVER cook with the stove in the camper. For every gallon of propane burned you generate 1.75 lbs of water - that adds a lot to the inside air. Plus whatever water is released by what you are cooking. (The furnace vents outside so this is not an issue). If it was up to me I would have deleted the stove - but not an FWC option.

I'm reading what I hoped to read. Literally every comment has been helpful, both in specifics and "nuance". Folks universally like/love these campers. It appears that one brand vs another won't eliminate the condensation issue, so that simplifies it completely as I'm pretty close to a decision. If condensation is manageable, then the off-road attributes will close the deal.

Off topic, but my next decision is a pickup and I'm leaning towards a new/er Superduty, one ton, diesel, extended or regular cab. I haven't figured out whether for the Hawk or the Grandby, but obviously, it'll have to fit the bed, or the truck will have to fit the camper. Duh. But wheelbase will be an issue where I travel.

This forum and the patient, positive, and informative responses I get to my simple-minded questions are another selling point. So much experience from folks who seem to be eager and talented problem-solvers. That's huge, especially for me with nearly no experience with campers (only trailers), let alone with pop-ups. It's been more like choosing a boat than an rv/trailer.

Again, thanks to all.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom