FWC Installation Questions

marblecreek

As many have done before me, I have been lurking on this site for a bit and now have an opportunity to own a used 2007 Eagle FWC shell. But before I pull the trigger, I would appreciate some information or being pointed to the information on this site. My intention is to put the camper on my 2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. The truck has a composite bed.I tried calling the FWC folks today but they had left for the day. If I am going to make the purchase, I need to do so tomorrow (Saturday). Here are my questions.

1. Is the 2007 Eagle compatible with the 2009 Toyota Tacoma.

2. Does FWC sell a mounting "kit" for the Tacoma with the composite bed?

3. Has anyone on the forum had experience mounting an Eagle on a Tacoma. If so, do they have any hints, thoughts, or suggestions regarding the mounting process? Thanks.

Steve

I run a Bobcat (ATC version of the Eagle size camper) on a Tacoma Access cab and can say yes, they are very compatible. Mounting on the composite bed is no biggie as long as you put reinforcing plates under the bed to help distribute the load from the turnbuckles OR use a frame mount. I use a frame mount in the front and turnbuckles in the rear. I also had Toyota put the heavier rear springs on in addition to the air bags I mounted. The camper will go wherever the Tacoma can go. It will cost some gas mileage, but I still can run about 15 - 16 mpg at 65 on the highway.

The frame mount I used is made by Torklift and you can price them out at a place like http://www.adventurerv.net/. Others have used four turnbuckles. I don't think you will have trouble getting the mounting hardware as most of it is Home Depot stuff: turnbuckles, eyebolts, etc. FWC can likely send you whatever you need as well.

FWC does make a kit for it. Its basically a flat bar that goes across the width of the bed where the bed to frame bolts in your current bed are. Those bolts are removed, the bar laid down and the bolts reinstalled. At the ends of the bar are attachment holes for the turn buckles.

There was a picture floating around here before on it.

I think some folks that really work this combo have bend the bar a tad (I seem to recall reading a report on it) but there are more robust mountings that can be pursued if needed. lqhikers did a more robust mounting but since the darn search function doesn't seem to find the older posts anymore I can't readily find it. A quick search on google pulled this one up on expedition portal: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3615

Long story short there are ways to mount it.

Thanks for the relies. I checked out the camper this AM with the wife and she likes the idea but was not impressed with what we saw. The camper had been used pretty hard and was occupied by a smoker. The camper has been stored outside and the mattress was a bit damp. Is it normal for the mattress to be damp when a camper is stored outside in a wet climate? I should have asked about this before, but are there some common things to look out for when purchasing a used FWC? Thanks.

Steve

Thanks for the relies. I checked out the camper this AM with the wife and she likes the idea but was not impressed with what we saw. The camper had been used pretty hard and was occupied by a smoker. The camper has been stored outside and the mattress was a bit damp. Is it normal for the mattress to be damp when a camper is stored outside in a wet climate? I should have asked about this before, but are there some common things to look out for when purchasing a used FWC? Thanks.

Steve

Assuming it was just damp and not wet it'd most likely be a condensation or accumulated moisture issue in the camper as it sits (or never dried out before being put away). In another thread I mentioned for my rig in the PNW I keep some dessication inside it while its sitting to suck up moisture in the air and such.

However there is the possibility there is a leak in the camper a suspect areas is the roof screws backing out a tad.

All the years have different quirks to keep in mind, Stan at the factory would be a good person to ask based on each year.

Hola marblecreek, have you looked into the ATC bobcat?not just because i have one,but you might try Marty at ATC for some other thoughts.their bobcat is wider than the eagle and comes with a 4" mattress plus the cap over is 48"(extended cab no extra charge)which enables you to sleep across the camper instead of fore and aft,as long as you are 6' or under.just a thought,also the ATC's are less expensive and built to the same high quality. have fun looking,and welcome to the forum. frank

Hey Steve

Im not in the office at the moment, but we do have some nice, beefed up, toyota bed bars made for us (for the camper install kit for the 2005 - 2010 toyota tacomas).

Just call Chicali in our service dept. and he can get you squared away.

800-242-1442.

I will be on the road for the next 2 weeks for the trades shows in SLC & Del Mar.

There are some things to watch out for with tie downs, camper fit (new tacomas have a deeper truck bed) and eye bolt locations, etc. when you are looking at the used campers.

If you live anywhere close to Northern California, or might be near a show we are attending, feel free to stop by and see our campers up close & in person.

If you are going to spend $10,000 or $15,000, most people want to see what they are getting, find out what they might want & like, and see what other campers are on the market.

If you are on a budget and price in the biggest factor, we now have a new line of campers out called the "Classic FWC's. I have a price list in the office I can e-mail you. The Classic campers are built with the same great quaility (just simplier / less standard features) and our prices for the Classic Models are about $ 500.00 less than the ATC's. We will have a press release coming out very son with "TruckCamperMagazine" covering all of the details.

We have 3 or 4 campers (models) available for the smaller trucks.

If you would like the camper to be narrow so you can have less wind resistance, better visability with your side mirrors, the Eagle @ 69" wide is nice.

If you want a little more room inside, the Fleet Model is a bit wider at 75" wide.

Happy Camping !

Back
Top Bottom