FWC mattresses are bricks...

DarinH

...so I'm told.

I'm picking up my new Grandby in a few weeks, and my 55 year old bones need a comfy bed. I will be sleeping in it on the drive home, so I want to be prepared with some kind of mattress pad when I pick it up. What have ya'll done for a mattress hack in your FWC?

...which begs another question - why does FWC use such hard foam in their mattresses/cushions?

Maybe because the mattress is relatively thin, if it was soft the sleeper (unless they were very light) would bottom out -- and feel the board underneath...?

My 2005 mattress never felt hard, so I don't actually know what they are like now...

We both sleep on the original FWC foam mattresses in our 2019 Hawk. Supplemented with a sheepskin queen size blanket. Sleep well and sometimes long. We are both 67.

We just use our backpacking Thermarest pads on top - the thin ones and that helps with out 8 year old pad

We’re a couple of 60 year olds who sleep on a deep cushy mattress at home and we’ve never had a complaint about our unmodified original fwc mattress.

2017 Hawk. I use 3” memory foam on top of the 4WC “brick” mattress. I can leave sheets on this set up when I lower the top, but I do not leave the blankets on this bed when I lower the top.

EDIT: I just went out and took another look at my “brick mattress” and 3” memory foam set up. I think 2-1/2 inch memory foam on the factory mattress would be a better option. Less chance of too much mattress, memory foam, and bedding up on the bed tray to push against the campers aluminum top and siding when the top is in the down position.

Actually the factory foam has gotten softer since about 2016 . Still back in 2012 when we go our new Eagle
we went to the local reupholstery store and had the foam replaced with foam one can sleep on.

Ours is 4 inch thick which was stock in 2012. In 2016 FWC switched to softer foam and 3 " thick to allow for bedding to be left on. We had a 3 " in our old "Flip-Pac" and couldn't tell the difference.

We also cut the mattress down so we can put queen-size fitted sheets over it. The Eagle and Fleet owners sleep front to back as do the King size beds in the Grandby's .

We are both age 77. The camper bed is as comfortable as our bed at home.

I would try the factory mattress then if you don't like it have it switched out

Picked up a three-inch memory foam topper from Costco. We use the topper on top of the factory cushions. We have a Fleet and can't put the top down with the topper on, so we fold the topper into thirds, and stow it on top of the kitchen area while we travel. With the top down, it's wedged in there just tight enough, it stays put on our travels.

We sleep just as well in the camper as we do at home!

DanoT said:
The Froli box spring system is like a Dyson portable vacuum: overpriced but worth it. https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/
DanoT, will the Froli system will compress for lowering the top? I've got an older FWC and there's not a whole lot of room for clamping down the top if the sleeping matresses are stacked and the bedboard is pushed in. The Froli system would also have to be stacked or removed and stored somewhere if the bed is pushed in. I like the concept of the Froli system, but it looks like it may only be practical if you have a Grandby and can leave the bed pulled out all the time.

We had a left over Coleman sleeping bag from the 60's. It was a pretty large one. And pretty thick.

Zipped it all the way open and just lay it on top of the OEM cushions from 4WC. Works great and you can still close the top.

Tried a couple others first. Sleeping pads and a very expensive SynMat dual. Those where just to high when sleeping and it took too much time to deflate the SynMat when done so we could close the top.

DarinH said:
...so I'm told.

I'm picking up my new Grandby in a few weeks, and my 55 year old bones need a comfy bed. I will be sleeping in it on the drive home, so I want to be prepared with some kind of mattress pad when I pick it up. What have ya'll done for a mattress hack in your FWC?

...which begs another question - why does FWC use such hard foam in their mattresses/cushions?
I would wait and try it out first before planning any mods. Feedback varies based on personal preferences. We are 60 plus on stock foam mattress in 2015-16 Hawk.

Update on my original question:

I picked up my new Grandby on 3/26 and slept in it that night. Mattress was a little stiffer than I like, but was tolerable. The next day I bought a 1.5" thick copper memory foam at Target and that makes it just right for me. And with down bedding left on, the top still sits down where it needs when lowered.

Thank you all for your $0.02 worth. [emoji16]

I made DIY custom mattress cushions for our 2014 Hawk. (I also converted the stock E-W queen to a N-S king, but that's a different issue.)

My DIY cushions are made from two plies of high density polyurethane foam. Finished mattress is 5" thick, a sandwich of 2" medium HDPU foam (glued) over 3" of firm HDPU foam. I made the cover from Sunbrella upholstery fabric. Underside of cushions is highly breathable cushion underlining fabric. Foam is wrapped in cushion wrap silk film. The large (forward) cushion lies atop a moisture prevention underlining. All materials, i.e., foam, foam glue, fabric, underliner, zippers, were purchased from Sailrite. I sewed the cushions with a Sailrite LSZ-1 machine and V-92 poly thread. I cut the foam with an electric turkey carving knife.

Sailrite videos, especially the one about cushion-making, helped. (Check it out.) I used the Sailrite method for the small cushions, but that did not work for the large cushion because of the radii on the front corners, thus I used a box cushion construction for that.

The 5" cushions are too thick to stack when the camper top is buttoned down, thus the bed must be extended when driving.

Comfort is vastly improved, nearly like our fancy expensive memory foam mattress.

Before commencing the project, I did lots of research, including buying custom foam and custom cushions, both of which quite expensive. Fortunately, I have years of sewing experience.

The full project, including the E-W queen-to-N-S king conversion, cost about $1,000. The cushion portion of the project cost roughly $700, and I have fabric left over for my bud's Fleet.

I use a 2" thick double Thermarest that is easily adjustable by how much air I blow into it. I just blow enough that it adds a pillowtop effect to the FWC cushions. It stows up top just fine in my 2016 Grandby. In my old 1998 Ranger II there was no extra room in the overhead.

fuzzymarindave said:
I would wait and try it out first before planning any mods. Feedback varies based on personal preferences. We are 60 plus on stock foam mattress in 2015-16 Hawk.
+1, I like the mattress in our 2015 fleet.

Back
Top Bottom