FWC not permitted at Washington State Park Tent sites

I've been camping since the 70's, backpacking off the Grid with nobody around for miles, tent camping in campgrounds when it was not very popular. Bought a pop-up camper and returned to some of those campgrounds, it's been a real downer to see the big RVs with their bicycles, generators, and marble water fountains, I think I've even seen lion statues propped up for decoration. I'm with a lot of others in here tent camping is a different vibration, even though we are doing the exact same thing in our pop up and being very respectful and quiet some RVs really ruin that feeling. Time to find some four-wheel drive trails around here in Southern California to hide out in.

There is a boondocking site of Facebook that I occasionally follow and it amazes me to see posts from people with 40 ft. Fifth wheel campers asking where they can go or how much gas should they bring for their generator...

Doesn't surprise me as more people are choosing to live with an RV/vehicle and boondocking saves money. It can be done even with a larger vehicle. Just be glad they won't be showing up to some remote offroad spot that only has space for one vehicle.

^ and apparently can be a substitute for the Summer Cottage or a home for seasonal workers.

CGs have their place, without them people would be camping everywhere (with some probably making a mess.) For the tenter I think it's sometimes about accessibility and security and I guess if they are putting out money, they prob want some rules (for others). I think something like this might have been the basis for the situation mentioned in the OP.

We're very fortunate being able to have our rig but I get that not everyone wants to spend their long weekend in a cut block.

For those folks with the big trailers, I've seen some of those places out there. Just takes some work to find them and for me that's part of the fun. Hey, I'm not above receiving a tip and will reciprocate where appropriate but am mindful of possible consequences.

And I think the "don't want to pay for camping" is sometimes a bit ridiculous considering the price of some set ups out there. Especially the person who ships their hugely expensive, nation-conquering, MAN type truck across the ocean asking for free camp spots - heaven forbid he has to spend money in the local economy ...

I prefer boondocking but along the coast there aren't many of those sites and the few are a closely guarded secret. This time of year its not hard to avoid the obnoxious campers. Other places like Lassen VNP I'd prefer to camp in the park because thats where the good stuff is.

Funny, we were at Twin Harbors about 3 weeks ago. We tried Grayland, but it was full of Class A and B monsters. Twin Harbors had a place for RVs with hook ups but we don’t use them. We wandered over to the ocean side where there were mainly tent sites. No one there and probably 50+ (?) sites. We wanted to camp on the ocean side and not with the big rigs so we settled in. The next morning one of the workers said we really shouldn’t be there but he didn’t care. He said it was the manager’s rule and that it may be changed. We have a Senior Off-Season Camping Pass ($75 for October-March plus Sunday-Thursday in April to camp for free. Extra $$ for hookups which we don’t need or use) and didn’t want to pay extra for hook ups.

We encountered just one state park in Oregon (near Manzanita) that you had to pay for electric hook up ($29) vs ($21 for no hookups at Beverly Beach). Not many places to Boondock on either coast. We have one on the Washington Coast near Tokeland but interior SW Washington is owned by private timber companies with gated access roads and serious no trespassing signs. We also have 3 spots along the Oregon Coast a few miles inland but I’m not telling. And, the homeless are moving to the woods so we had company.

It seems that campgrounds should provide for us who don’t want hook ups but have no tent. We usually Boondock but sometimes you need to use a Campground. And, Oregon State Parks have great showers.

I had the same thing as ski at MacKerricher SP. They encouraged me to camp in the tent side once I said I had no generator.

Craig-way back in 05 when I first bought my pop-up, I camped there about this time of the year (I was one of the few non trailers there), and yep,they said I could park where I wanted to- including in the tent spots.(where I camped). So I guess at least Ca State Parks there has at least been consistent. Over the years I have never a problem with CalParks.

Calif P&R CG story: one early spring, several years ago, they had just opened up a CG on the coast for the season and were still cleaning it up when I showed up, drove in and took the nicest cg spot there (no sign saying trailers only) and in fact, was the only one there for a few days. There were cut trees and brush down all over the place and maybe I was a bit early, but no one said anything. A ranger came by and I helped him move some brush and he never said any thing about where I was camping. I should mention here that my dog, Babe had just lost her leg to cancer and this was her first trip out since her rehab ended. Anyway, a big old trailer arrives one day and yes "oh we come here every year at this time and camp in this spot and go fishing for the week." I sort of felt bad as I watched them park their trailer down at the other end of the cg, but how many times has one of those things came in and parked next to me and/or ran their generator all night. Maybe it was time for the good guys to win one ;) !

Smoke

Possibly the worst I have experienced is Mueller st park in Colorado. I arrived about dusk. I was informed that I had to take a tent site (about 100 yds from the parking spot) because I couldn’t sleep in my truck. Then I was asked if I was unloading my motorcycle ( it was in my truck) then I was charged for the camping, day use for my truck, and day use for my motorcycle. Then I found the showers (the reason for staying there) are coin operated. I will never stop at a Colorado SP again.
Some of the best are the state parks in New Mexico, I stayed at several that were very inexpensive and had hot showers in the bathhouse, much better than many private much more expensive places I’ve stopped.

I’ve spent many nights dispersed camping also, nice when you can.

Stromtrooper said:
We reserved site #282 (online) at Twin Harbors State Park to go surfing in Westport for the weekend.

Our site was horrible with ultra bad smoke and overcrowding to the max.

We went to front desk for site change / refund. Front desk informed us that vans and campers and FWC's were not allowed at tent sites and that we must park amongst the RV's.

My Tacoma and FWC take up the same amount of space as any of the tent campers' cars jeeps edsels pickups minivans or vans.

Rule was made by the Park Manager and may not be in place state-wide but is a steaming pile of BS either way.

Thanks to the park employee who did issue us a refund for our site and reservation fee.

Anybody else have issues with this kinda thing? We have a call in to the Manager - keep you posted.
I had the same thing happen in Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. I said that I don’t take any more space than a car. The ranger (the biggest man I’ve ever seen by the way) asked if I had a tent. I did, so he told me to pitch it and sleep in it. So my buddy and I pitched the tent, popped up the Camper to cook / wash dishes. Then I dropped it and went out to the tent. It was a pain in the butt, but this did offer an option.

So now we just carry a small Walmart tent. It’s not bad to have if you have to throw some stuff outside when it rains anyway.

For the most part public campground policies regarding RV vs. tents, number of vehicles per site, etc are devised at the local level. That's why there are so many variations in the rules. In some cases limiting tent sites to those actually sleeping in tents is sensible. Some campgrounds have many sites with plenty of parking space for vehicles but few sites with any place (other than the parking spot) to pitch a tent.

Just had to vent. KOA's and similar ilk [bah humbug] Have same policy. After explaining had 2006 Tundra and a 2017 'Hawk" FWC. And did not need electric ~ water ~ or any hook up's. That I had just picked up my Hawk in Woodland and headed home to Bakersfield ~ Only needed O/Nite outta rain, this was my 1st inquiry to KOA had used for years....►►►

INQUIRY
Can you please explain why you cannot 'rent' a site to a Truck Camper. Just tried to rent a future date and were told couldn't use a truck camper but could bring a Tent. If I am travelling in my TruckCamper I seldom take my tent along. I have never heard of this rule ~~ is it new ~~ is local. That exclusion is not mentioned in your ad, in 2017 GoodSam RV TravelGuide. Used to camp at your location [koa kabins] when visiting my aunt in Sacramento.

Please Advise.Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

~~~~~~

ANSWER FROM KOA

Message to Member:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. KOA Campgrounds are managed independently on site, with the majority of them being privately owned as a franchise. As each campground is independent, it would be best to discuss this further with the campground manager of the campground you were looking to stay with. All contact information can be found on KOA.com.

Sincerely,

Kim
KOA Camper Services

MY RESPONSE NO ANSWER TO DATE

To

Message body

Yes that is the most opportune manner to check with the campground. HOWEVER when travelling across country on a very loose schedule KOA offices are NOT always available when it gets dark 'early' ~ cannot call every CG on the general direction of next days itinerary. Why not just say you do not want TruckCampers in your facilities.

Have until October to decide if will renew my membership. JM2¢

~~~

Ok OK I vented!!!!! Have not had the TC long enough to get settled into it. Did not realize it would be this hard to find campsites. I/WE are not boondockers but are planning to learn. Did a bunch of 'dirt' camping with or without tent/truck or CG 50 plus/minus years ago BUT times have changed.

Thanks for listening ~ TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~~ HaveFun

K

One item I carry with us is beach shelter....aka, a "tent". It has the collapsing bungee type poles and fits into a bag that is maybe 24" long by about 6" in diameter. We find it a good accessory when a lakeside, stream or beach is available for us. It can also be set up in your space so you are still technically meeting their "tent" restrictions. it has a floor but no "front" side.

You can't fight City Hall and you can't fight stupidity. So....if ya can't beat 'em, use their own "rules" against them.

Yeah Dragin240
If they question it just explain you have to sleep that way because of your condition “upriteitus”. And you are told it’s not contagious.
Russ
PakRat is Correct such a bummer but to be able to play by their rules, well walking around with a grin all the time can fell good also.

Advmoto18 said:
I guess I will be carrying my 1P tent on my next trip out west. Setup the tent and sleep in my camper. Crazy way to manage a campground.
I carry a very small child tent with me for this purpose and so that if I leave for the day people don’t mistake that I abandoned the site

Fellow Wanders,

So, today I had a very interesting conversation today with a Grand Canyon administrator on this topic. I will be camping at GC this summer with both my Hawk and a tent. So, what spot do I pick?

The administrator was very nice and helpful on this topic. She clarified the park's position as "Any vehicle that has permanent sleeping or cooking fixtures is an RV". For example two Dodge Caravans could use a tent spot, (with tents) but two 'Juicy Vans' could not.

The discussion within the park management is the slippery slope of a Juicy Van, to sleeper van, to 4WC, to Sportsmobile, to Sprinter Van becomes too subjective on what defines an RV. What they did provide was that each park's superintendent has a "PARK COMPENDIUM" which outlines the rules and regulations for that park.

Some of the national parks 'compendiums' are public and can be found at: www.nps.gov Grand Canyon is at: www.nps.gov/grca I searched for it and found several of the compendiums; however, I could not find the exact ruling on what defines an RV while I was on my lunch break, but given the vast amount of info within the documents, I believe it's likely in there.

She was very helpful and understood the questions we have and was sympathetic to our concerns.

Just filling all in on the talk.

Thanks,

p.s. She confirmed that at GC, I can book an RV spot and put a tent in it.

Back
Top Bottom