FWC Off the Book Options

DrJ

One of my biggest frustrations about my hawk was that I rushed to get it without getting all of the options I really wanted. Some I didn't even know I could get until later. So in my quest to come up with the perfect camper, I've learned FWC will do some options you may not have heard of before. Or at least not really advertised.

I've heard now of at least 6 options that FWC will do in new campers that isn't exactly advertised in their on line options. These kind of things are super valuable to you if you are looking to buy a new camper but want something just a little different. If you know of more please feel free to add them in here. After all, I never would have known without speaking with FWC and listening to all of you here.

So here goes:
Heki Skylight over gallery
A/C unit on rollover couch models
Larger slide to make king bed on Grandby models
Retractable hose on some sink models
Outside shower without the hot water tank
Wiring for batteries without the batteries (so you could use your own)

Anyone have any others that they know of?

You can also have a slide out King in a Hawk too, if you purchase the flush mounted appliances.
They also are leaving a square hole large enough for me to slide my Engel 45 fridge into and a hinged countertop with underneath storage, in the drivers side rear corner. They are including the cabinet door, but not drilling any holes for the hinges. It'd be nice to include an on demand hot water heater, but that should be in the "options I'd like to see" thread.

Funny you should post this...

I was just looking at a spread sheet for a Fleet I'm putting together and there was a "special order option" list. So frustrating that FWC rebuilt their website and still doesn't include everything.

I'm trying to figure out what the rear wall rack, side awning rail and a few other things actually are.

I would have had the shower installed without the hot water heater. Who needs a water heater with outside temps of 105? That would have made catfishing trips a little nicer.

brianjwilson said:

I was just looking at a spread sheet for a Fleet I'm putting together and there was a "special order option" list. So frustrating that FWC rebuilt their website and still doesn't include everything.

I'm trying to figure out what the rear wall rack, side awning rail and a few other things actually are.
I think the Awning rail is the "groove" to put an awning in and nothing more. I have no idea about the "rear wall rack"

I for one wish I new about the 6'9" height option. I am 6'6" and while it does work ok a few more inches would have been nice.

100acrehuphalump said:
You can also have a slide out King in a Hawk too, if you purchase the flush mounted appliances.
They also are leaving a square hole large enough for me to slide my Engel 45 fridge into and a hinged countertop with underneath storage, in the drivers side rear corner. They are including the cabinet door, but not drilling any holes for the hinges. It'd be nice to include an on demand hot water heater, but that should be in the "options I'd like to see" thread.
You cannot get the King size bed with the front dinette - even with flush appliances. The fridge is in the way. If you do the side dinette the fridge is mounted further back and it works.

brianjwilson said:

I might be wrong, so verify, but if it helps you hunt down the info: I think the rear wall rack is something like a pair of bike rack arms that stick out from the wall. If I recall it was a thing in Europe, but not used much in the US.

Always thought I would want a large foredeck hatch installed over the bunk if I had a FWC built.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--low-profile-hatches--P024_720_002_506/zoomImages

Then rig up a version of this for the hot summer trips
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--down-the-hatch-ventilating-sail--357956

My thought regarding the hatch would be #1 great star gazing while in bed, Great air flow in the summer they do have screens

And it gives you the ability to poke your head out and do a campsite check without being overly obvious and its a good spot to observe large animals for which you wouldn't want to step out the back door and be face to face with either. LOL

Pricy yes but very high quality marine grade stuff costs some money.

camper101 said:
I might be wrong, so verify, but if it helps you hunt down the info: I think the rear wall rack is something like a pair of bike rack arms that stick out from the wall. If I recall it was a thing in Europe, but not used much in the US.
Search for the info, why didn't I think of that...? :unsure:

The rear rack could be so many different things. Full width over the door? One side only? Just tubes? Tube or rectanular? Do they interfere with the rear steps?

I've searched and came up with no specific info on the rear rack. I have been told by a particular dealer that the rear awning rail was standard now and the awning could be purchased and slid into the rail at any time. As they expend and begin using dealers, misinformation seems to spread. This is why (in my opinion) it is crucial that they include all options on the FWC website.

I have asked about misc custom work from fwc and the standard response is "if it isn't on the options sheet, we aren't doing it". But then as I try to put an order together I see this super secret off the book option list. No big deal, I just wish it was published info with information readily available. I was under the impression that the rear awning rail was standard but clearly it isn't. I wanted two fantastic fans but of all things it isn't on the option list (only a second VENT), so I was told I couldn't order it. I see articles about the JATAC fleet and see options that I couldn't order. Like the vents being centered on the roof so I could use yakima rails and solar panels on each side. FWC won't do that any more. Some photos of the forward dinette fleet have sliding windows, some are tip out, some seem to have both of the same, some have a slider on the left, some on the right. Can I get tip out windows on both sides? Not on the option list... I'd like to have another cushion made for over the water tank, but no option listed? Will they do it? Can I buy extra fabric?

Anyway I would just like to see more transparency and clarification, that is all.

Can I buy extra fabric?

I did when I did my build, I just called and it was not a problem. Give Brenda a call.

In 2012 you could get " front-back" sleeping orientation, so inside person doesn't have to crawl over outside person when answering "call's of nature" in Fleet,Hawk,Grandby

brianjwilson said:
Search for the info, why didn't I think of that...? :unsure:

The rear rack could be so many different things. Full width over the door? One side only? Just tubes? Tube or rectanular? Do they interfere with the rear steps?

I've searched and came up with no specific info on the rear rack. I have been told by a particular dealer that the rear awning rail was standard now and the awning could be purchased and slid into the rail at any time. As they expend and begin using dealers, misinformation seems to spread. This is why (in my opinion) it is crucial that they include all options on the FWC website.

I have asked about misc custom work from fwc and the standard response is "if it isn't on the options sheet, we aren't doing it". But then as I try to put an order together I see this super secret off the book option list. No big deal, I just wish it was published info with information readily available. I was under the impression that the rear awning rail was standard but clearly it isn't. I wanted two fantastic fans but of all things it isn't on the option list (only a second VENT), so I was told I couldn't order it. I see articles about the JATAC fleet and see options that I couldn't order. Like the vents being centered on the roof so I could use yakima rails and solar panels on each side. FWC won't do that any more. Some photos of the forward dinette fleet have sliding windows, some are tip out, some seem to have both of the same, some have a slider on the left, some on the right. Can I get tip out windows on both sides? Not on the option list... I'd like to have another cushion made for over the water tank, but no option listed? Will they do it? Can I buy extra fabric?

Anyway I would just like to see more transparency and clarification, that is all.
Part of the issue with windows has to do with Emergency Exits which are required by law. On the Hawk the window on the Drivers side (slider) is a Emergency exit window. The passenger window is a tilt out, but not emergency exit.

I live one town over from FWC and talked to them several times asking for minor custom work - the answer was always a firm no. They have done custom work for special vehicles, but I got the feeling they considered those loss leaders.

cdbrow1 said:
You cannot get the King size bed with the front dinette - even with flush appliances. The fridge is in the way. If you do the side dinette the fridge is mounted further back and it works.
You can get the king slide out if you have the roll over couch. And flush stove and sink mounts. It would've been nice to have the option of ordering just the flush sink. Then the king slide out would've worked for me.

brianjwilson said:
Thanks Bill! I'm just trying to figure out how to make this work the best for us with a (maybe one year old when it arrives) daughter.
Exciting times Brian congrats on the little one to be.

The kids vs camping gear options has been an interesting adventure for me also. Daughter is almost 6 now and my son is turning 3 next month. I grew up doing hard core back country packing tired of hauling my crap on my back so we are more into the car thing and day hikes now ;-)

My dream rig would be the FWC flat bed with the rear seating area that converts into a kids bunk bed zone ;-) FWC would get some winks and nods with that idea. The more slide in style FWC I was trying to sort out if a longer upper bunk over hang would then open up the ability to have a bunk platform that sits over the side seating area sorta racing sailboat style with a lee cloth from the roof to keep the kid in the top bunk - then the platform could be just snapped to straps on the head liner to stow it out of the way etc. The more standard top bunk slide would make it hard to find that length to get a decent top platform bunk over the seating area for the two kid bunk idea again. Eventually we will move to a Truck and camper combo for more comfort in colder temps and open up more months we could get away.

Currently our set up is the life time tent trailer two queen beds. I have seen one family with three kids use the bunk bed cot system in the tent trailer which was a pretty slick idea for creating more sleeping space options. May be tempted to get the bunk bed cot system and try it if a grand parent decides to tag a long on our trips.

Stan confirmed that the rear awning read were standard equip. Though I understood that not everyone is real happy with the rear awning. I think a fox wing on the side might be better. Terry told me he would send me a frame drawing to help figuring out mounting.

cdbrow1 said:
I have a 2014 Hawk front dinette and had the bed upgraded to a king sized bed which allows a north/south sleeping orientation. Love it. The bed slides out right up to the refrigerator cabinet and stops there. The appliances do not come in to play since the bed does not pull out over the top of that cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom