FWC on Flatbed?

AK Nomad

I'm curious about using a FWC (Grandby) on a flatbed. Would it work? Does anyone have pictures of a FWC on a flatbed pickup? I wonder if FWC would build a custom unit for a flatbed (without the wheelwell steps). I like my Grandby, but a flatbed may be in my future. Looking for ideas.....

I'm curious about using a FWC (Grandby) on a flatbed. Would it work? Does anyone have pictures of a FWC on a flatbed pickup? I wonder if FWC would build a custom unit for a flatbed (without the wheelwell steps). I like my Grandby, but a flatbed may be in my future. Looking for ideas.....

If a 'flatbed' is a platform that clears the wheels, then I think I'd rather have what I got.

These are the only flatbed pics I have... They'll build whatever you're willing to pay for I guess.

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,910
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,151
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,577
I've previously seen pictures of a FWC in a utility bed, but you'd need to get the bed from another source I believe. http://dodgeram.org/ki4cy/diamond/diamond.htm

After I picked up my hawk, I was talking with the FWC guys and was told they would make a flatbed camper. They are doing them for the overseas market. Like said before, if you ask and can pay, you can get almost anything you want.

Thanks to all for the replies. The pics of the RAM with the dog box camper was the most helpful. That's what I wanted to see. As I suspected the overhang would be a ways above the truck roof, but could be room for storage like shown. Maybe down the road a ways I'll have FWC look at building a custom flatbed style that would eliminate the wheelwell steps and keep the bed not too far above the cab (improve fuel mileage). Maybe a shell this time and I'll customize it!

These are the only flatbed pics I have... They'll build whatever you're willing to pay for I guess.

Did you make the box under the cabover? It looks clean and useful. My Hawk sits high on my old Tundra. Been wandering what to put under there if anything.

Here are a few more pictures of the latest camper we built for a flat bed.

It just arrived in Australia.

The customer is really happy with it.

(there is no couch or bed cushions in the pictures)

The customer wanted to make his own once he got the camper.

Attachments

• IMG_2414 comp.JPG
    IMG_2414 comp.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_2415 comp.JPG
    IMG_2415 comp.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 729
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 664
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 662
  • P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 613

Very nice, I've long wanted sit across seating in the front... generally speaking Stan how do these custom configuration campers stack up costwise verse a standard model with the same level of accessories (ie generally what percentage extra cost for the custom frame/floor pack job)?

Wow that rig just got me thinking. I had a '75 FJ40 Landcruiser and loved it. Been wanting to get another one. But and FJ45 with the pick up bed could be converted to a flat bed and then put one of those on it. That would be one bad ass off road camper!

generally speaking Stan how do these custom configuration campers stack up costwise verse a standard model with the same level of accessories

Stan, I'm curious to hear this also. Assuming a typical Hawk length and finished with cabinets, bed, sink, stove, etc., but no options, any ballpark figure on this?

Hey Stan,

Looks like you guys are doing some nice custom builds. Would FWC consider a build on with pass through to the cab? I'm thinking of an interior layout very similar to the six pac sport pac but with cab access.

I will have to check with Tom to get some sample $ numbers for you.

He won't be back in the office for at least a week.

But when he gets back I will try and corner him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like you guys are doing some nice custom builds. Would FWC consider a build on with pass through to the cab? I'm thinking of an interior layout very similar to the six pac sport pac but with cab access.

Assuming a typical Hawk length and finished with cabinets, bed, sink, stove, etc., but no options, any ballpark figure on this?

Great thread, one of my dreams for my FWC.

I have been thinking about converting my truck to a flatbed.

A couple of options come to mind:
1. Use a wood deck on the flatbed and be able to remove the center boards so the camper will sit down at the original height in between the wheels. That means there will be a bed under the bed. Then make a set of boxes to fill the voids on either side for storage and some hanging side boxes under the bed for further storage. (I need lots of storage.)

2. Another option is to have the entire flatbed easily removable? Same attachment system as the modified camper. Same jacks the camper uses to just lift it off, then put the FWC on. The camper underside would be modified with the mounting system and side boxes.

Just dream stages at this point but I believe it is very doable.

Here is a picture of a foreign style flatbed with a nice FWC camper called the Kolibri.

More images in the Truck Camper Magazine:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tcm-exclusive:-2009-four-wheel-kolibri/

Attachments

• flatbed-campers.jpg
    flatbed-campers.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 390
Back
Top Bottom