FWC or ATC Shell Conversions

TGK

I just placed an order with FWC for a Grandby Shell for my '99 F250 SD LB 4x4. I'm interested in hearing about any shell conversions users have made to either FWC or ATC, particularly the Grandby or Panther. Any photos you are willing to share are also appreciated.

I actually had a FWC Grandby mounted on this same truck from '98 - 2005. I sold it when my wife and I acquired a 23' 1971 Airstream. We love the Airstream and intend to keep it. However, there are some places I just won't take it out of fear of beating the hell out of it. We miss the convenience of the FWC when poking down the backroads of the NW and elsewhere. We used the older FWC quite a bit and got deep into all the remote corners of Oregon and many places in the intermountain west and north to British Columbia & Vancouver Island. The intent in purchasing the shell versus the fully outfitted camper we previously owned is to keep the weight down and keep it simple. I don't intend to remove the shell when towing the AS. The idea is to make it modular, with the ability to insert or remove a few functional pieces as needed and relating to where we are going. At times, I will need to keep the floor clear all the way to the front in order to carry two bikes inside when I tow the trailer. If we are just going out in the truck/shell combo, the bikes will go outside on a hitch rack. It will be a step up from the tent camping we reverted to in the back country after selling the earlier FWC. If the weather is good, we cook outside. If not, will bring it indoors with a coleman stove, Can heat it with a catalytic propane heater (I always allow for ventilation and never leave it on while sleeping).

Anyway, if any of you have experience to share, good & bad, with shell conversions, I'd love to hear them.

TK

Gotta love the Shell. make it the way you want. Problem is, takes time, talent, and skill.

I have a hawk shell that I outfitted. Don't actually have any photos, but I can try. I basically made a very simple shelf system, using the doors of the shelves that fold down to double as tables. I sit on the couch, use the tables for cooking, reading, playing cards or whatever. I store all the cookware, books and papers, all my clothes, and food in there. ARB/Engel fridge on the floor or backseat of the pickup extended cab with pass through window. Usually, cook outside. No bathroom. But, do have a funnel and hose for those long cold nights (guys only?) All other stuff goes under the seat to keep the isle clear. Never know when you want to stop, take a nap, or make a cup of tea. Portable stove sits on the tables or on top of the shelves when the top is up. I can use it with top up or down, no matter. Simple and easy. I have a small ceramic heater when I have AC, small Mr buddy for off grid. Down sleeping bags work well.

Got all the ideas from Dr. kayak (chuck Makey) off the fritz dodge ram/camper site....see photos here....

http://www.directcon.net/drkayak/Ram/

Maybe if I have the time will get some photos this weekend. Only if it will stop raining....

Dave in Seattle

Back
Top Bottom