FWC quality control and service??

rossandwendy

Hi All,

Took delivery of a new Hawk just before December and am getting ready to take it on the first outing, an 8-week US road trip. This week I've discovered a screw missing from a cabinet, the board used to support the front when popped up is coming loose due to a metal fastener falling out, the screen covering the faucet fell out, and the refrigerator fan is running constantly even when turned to the off position. I've called FWC three times and service was out to lunch at 2:15pm today, on another line yesterday, had already left when I called a day before that, and have not returned my call.

So for any of you that have purchased a new FWC, are these quality control issues normal? And how has your experience been with the communication and responsiveness of the service department?

Stan was great to work with on the initial sale, but I really hope the product quality and warranty service hold up...

Cheers,
Ross

All I can say is that the RV industry as a whole uses low grade products, and the FWC in my opinion is really only slightly better quality with the exception of the frame. With any camper you don't really get what you pay for.

As for service, FWC did have a lot of complaints for poor service a year or more ago when I first joined this board. Since Stan began posting on here people seem to be much happier with the service but perhaps that's just on the sales side not service?

Don't sweat the small stuff too much, the camper will bring you plenty of adventure, but expect little stuff to go wrong here and there.

Thanks for your post Sam, and good advice. I have heard from others over the years that RV manufacturing quality isn't too hot and I will need to lower my expectations and develop some patience for the inevitable little things that may go wrong.

On a positive note, Bonnie @ FWC service called me back this afternoon and apologized for being hard to reach, and at the beginning of our trip Monday we will stop in at the Woodland factory and get the small interior issues fixed.

Oh, the fridge fan issue turned out to be my fault...I did not realize there was a rocker switch inside the camper for turning the fan on and off :eek:. Now I need to see if the Norcold instructions mention anything about when to turn the fan on.

I will post pics and travel notes from the road when I can. This board has been so helpful for me during the past several months and I hope I can give back with some content that may be interesting to folks.

Best,
Ross

I guess we had good luck with our camper, no real issues now after a year and a half. I've also had nothing but great service from the people at FWC.
As to the nature of the RV industry and campers in particular I do have to agree with both of you though I'll never directly bad rap FWC.

Hello Ross

Thanks for the posting.

I will be in the office on Monday, so stop on by.

Between myself and the service dept., we will try and get you squared away with any problems or questions with your camper you might need help with.

Hope to see you next week.

Hi Stan! Thanks for your post. I feel better about things after talking with Bonnie today, and after discovering the fridge was not malfunctioning. I have a 1pm service appointment Monday, very convenient to stop by since we are coming down the I-5 from Seattle on our way to Yosemite to start out my wife's 2-month sabbatical road trip (I'm just along for the ride :D), and look forward to seeing you then!

Best,
Ross

Hi Ross,

Now I need to see if the Norcold instructions mention anything about when to turn the fan on.

As you found out the rocker switch is for the ref fan. You won't find help in the instuctions. If you feel the temp is too hot and you can feel it on the back counter top, then you can flip the rocker and it will remove hot air from the outside vents. There is a thermal switch up near the left side of the upper vent. When the temp gets to that point the fan will come on and stay on until the temp drops. This allows the ref to run more efficent.

The fan draws hardly any juice so don't worry about the time it runs.

BTW the ref you got with the freezer I have been told is much better than the small one.

It is good that you are going by the factory and the people (and Stan) will do you a good job. Take a tour and that lets you get a feel how much work goes into one and see the guts of your camper.

Don't worry about the questions Stan gets a zillion a day, so ask away.

Did you post any pictures yet???:rolleyes:

Ross,

We're planning a quick trip to Yosemite in late September so my wife can see a little more of the valley etc. We're planning to park the camper and spend 2-3 days cruising around on our bikes and seeing the sites. I'd be interested in any information you might be able to share about the camp grounds, especially North Pines. We will be making reservations on the first day that late September comes available on May 15. Since you'll be on the road posting may not be that easy but any info will be appreciated.

Ross,

I took delivery of a new 2007 Grandby last October and all I can say is that it was put together very, very well. Shortly after I got it, I noticed a crack in one of the plastic end caps on the awning. FWC sent me a replacement almost immediately. I've had nothing but good service from them. Whenever I have had a question, Stan, or even the owner Tom, has replied via email with an answer. Can't beat that IMHO.

Good luck on our trips and send pics.

Buzz

i got a new hawk last summer and all is well.

i wish other companies like GE and Maytag were as good as these guys!

Patrick, thanks for the tip on the use of the refer fan! Now that you explain it, my memory is jarred and I recall Humberto going over that when I took delivery, but due to being so excited and overwhelmed at the time I don't recall much from that brief intro :eek:. I should have taken notes, but any final questions I'm sure Stan can go over with me Monday in Woodland.

Buzz and Jeff, great to hear of your positive experiences.

DLN, will PM you about the Yosemite campgrounds after I get a look. I've been there a couple times before, don't recall the names but once stayed outside the park at a higher elevation and that was not the best for quick/easy valley access such as when biking, but it was pleasant to be away from the crowds. The other time I camped in the valley and it was fine, just more people. Apparently the bears can be quite a problem.

Thread with travel pics coming hopefully within a week. I also need to update my previous thread about suspension upgrades on the Tundra - had a real bad experience with the Super Springs...

I'll tell you what's fun about having the Hawk, even without having actually taken it camping yet: nearly everywhere I go I get people very curious asking questions and I absolutely love sharing with them the FWC advantages and giving a tour. Stan, maybe I better pick up some of your business cards to hand out on this trip :D.

Cheers,
Ross

Back
Top Bottom