FWC Rally in Oregon; recommendations before/after

kmcintyre

We're going to the FWC Rally @ White River in Tygh Valley in June and looking for ideas/recommendations for additional camping/fishing/backpacking after (or before) the event. I've not fly fished that area before so it'll all be new to me. I'd like to get some fly fishing in while we're in the area (coming from Boise, ID). I've cross posted to numerous other places and hope to get some good ideas.

Thanks!

Isn’t the Metolius River also a big fly fishing destination? I’ve walked along it and seen people fishing but haven’t fished it myself.

The various sites of the Newberry Volcanic Monument are interesting.

Jon R said:
Isn’t the Metolius River also a big fly fishing destination? I’ve walked along it and seen people fishing but haven’t fished it myself.

The various sites of the Newberry Volcanic Monument are interesting.
A crystal clear and demanding river, but worth it.

Seasons of the Metolius

We met and spoke with John Judy (the author of the book above) as we were fly fishing there.

In the Small World Dept.. I worked for John Judy as a lift operator at the local ski area just out of Sisters/Camp Sherman back in 77-78. Always seemed like a good soul and moved me up the lift operator ladder as the season and attrition of operators wore on.
Still remember him giving me the stink eye and asking if I was high while working. I wasn't and never did but seems like it was pretty routine for many back then.

https://www.nuggetnews.com/story/2014/09/02/news/camp-sherman-celebrates-with-judy/23982.html

It’s always fun (and educational) to have interactions with interesting people like John Judy and the others who have made an impact on our areas of interest, or on our world. Consider yourselves fortunate to have had that opportunity.

CraggyMan said:
In the Small World Dept.. I worked for John Judy as a lift operator at the local ski area just out of Sisters/Camp Sherman back in 77-78. Always seemed like a good soul and moved me up the lift operator ladder as the season and attrition of operators wore on.
Still remember him giving me the stink eye and asking if I was high while working. I wasn't and never did but seems like it was pretty routine for many back then.

https://www.nuggetnews.com/story/2014/09/02/news/camp-sherman-celebrates-with-judy/23982.html
Jim, that's a great story! Thank you for the link also.

In regards to fly fishing, take a look at the tailwater fishery below Prineville Reservoir on the Crooked River.

i would take hwy 26 from idaho. strawberry mtns south of prarie city can be good for hiking/camping, and maybe fishing. painted hills is very scenic, good hiking, photography. the thomas condon visitors center is fantastic. richardsons rock ranch, which is ne of madras is a pay to pick for thundereggs - which can be fun if you are so inclined. they will also cut them in half for a fee.

Back
Top Bottom