FWC Ranger II + 98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 rear suspension question

toyopet.stout

We have built our "dream" overland setup last summer to go to Canada (06 dodge ram 5.9 diesel, 6sp, 4x4, 77 alaskan camper 8" CO) only to realize that my wife isn't comfortable handling 10000lb rig , managing manual transmission, so we decided to try out the smallest "real" camper setup we could think of - 4x4 Tacoma + FWC camper. Found early 90s Ranger II and 98 Tacoma 4x4. Question: Tacoma currently has dorman 929-401 rear leafs. Do you guys think it would be enough to do AAL + new shocks in the back for a test/trial on regular dirt roads?
camper.jpg

truck.jpg

The short answer is yes. The real answer is why? It has been 10 years, but I only paid $100ea for my OME springs from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. It is more work to do the AAL's and not worth the savings. The new springs will come with all new bushings as well. My opinion.

That Ranger II looks very nice! Love the built in Tail lights. Looks more finished. I am a bit biased though. A must is to swap the stock tail lights for LED's from Bargman. Direct swap. You will need the special trailer harness adapter to mate to the 4 pin.

My loaded 1995 Ranger II weighs under 1,000lbs, wet with all my gear. I originally had installed OME heavy duty 2" lift springs with air bags. I removed the air bags and the extra leaf in the springs. It sits and rides perfect now. The older Toyotas don't need as much help as the new Tacomas do.

Attachments

• Web Toyota.jpg
    Web Toyota.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 150
Not a fan of AAL's at all. They eventually break the springs if you can get them to move.

Was it me I'd seriously consider doing the GM 63's swap. Commonly done by rock crawlers, but as I found out on my old '84 Xcab yota they carry weight extremely well. Unfortunately that is a whole lot more fabrication than most want to do.

The OME's are a reasonable middle ground.

Guys, thanks for all your input. I appreciate it so much. The real question is, what's the minimum safe way to do it. I want to test the setup, see if it's big enough for us, if it isn't the next option is Toyota Tundra + larger FWC.

I gave you the minimum safe, easiest, and cheapest way. OME springs. Cost you $200-$300 and a 1/2 day to install. Don't reinvent the wheel.

cwdtmmrs said:
My loaded 1995 Ranger II weighs under 1,000lbs, wet with all my gear. I originally had installed OME heavy duty 2" lift springs with air bags. I removed the air bags and the extra leaf in the springs. It sits and rides perfect now. The older Toyotas don't need as much help as the new Tacomas do.
Why is that the older Toyota don't need as much help as the newer ones? Just curious.

CaptRussia253 said:
Why is that the older Toyota don't need as much help as the newer ones? Just curious.
Don't know. But read all of the posts about all of the suspension mods people need for a new Tacoma. Not to mention the hold down issues. I think that maybe truck Mfgs are trying to get a more car like ride since customers are using them for a car with a big trunk now days. I do know that the older campers are lighter. My Ranger II is under 1,000 lbs with 12 gal water, 5 gal propane, forced air and Wave 3 heaters, BBQ, Honda lunch box 350 generator, tankless water heater, leveling blocks, tools, some recovery gear and food for at least a week. IIRC the loaded rig was right at 4,700 lbs loaded.

Back
Top Bottom