FWC rubber bumpers

Stevedahiker

Has anyone removed the huge rubber bumpers on the front of their FWC to allow the camper to slide forward a couple of inches? It seems like it would really help the center of gravity.

I removed mine at the dealer when it was installed, no need for them on my Tacoma. Placed a 1/4" thick piece of rubber as a spacer, actually it is a piece of the rubber mat that they use under the camper. And I too, feel that you need the weight as far forward as possible. Ron

My first FWC was a Ranger II on a Dodge Dakota. It did not have the front rubber bumpers at all and on my first trip to Baja it crushed the front panel of the pickup bed because all of my turnbuckles were pulling it forward into the bed. I was a little surprised that my new Grandby has such large bumpers but it turns out the space it leaves is just right to store my aluminum sand ladders that are wrapped in carpet which keeps them from scratching anything. It also brings my 8' camper to flush with the edge of the tailgate on the back side.

My Grandby didn't have the 'huge baby buggy bumpers' when I got it. I use a 1" X 3.5" wood spacer because of a lip on top of the box front wall.

jim

Ok...2 inches of CG shift or protection of the cab and camper on rough roads?

Name your poison. Is 1/4" sufficient if the SHTF? I would not care to test that.

But I could be wrong... :D

Phil

Can't shift if there is no where to shift to, the farther back it is the more momentum it can gain should it happen to move. Ron

The bumpers are there for a reason to protect your truck and camper and to allow the camper to be installed tightly to the front of the bed, allowing that protective space. You want the camper tight to the front so it can't shift once the turn buckles have been tightened. The chance of helping with the center of gravity is very unlikely. FWC constructs their camper to have the mid-point in front of the rear wheels. jd

The original/previous owner of my Finch put on some small bumpers. I've never seen those larger factory ones. I think they would provide much needed shock absorption and I might even be able to put back the metal rail at the front of the truck bed.

I agree... there for a stable seating.... I did however saw 1/2" off of the bumper so that the truck was a tad closer... not for load so much as wind....and when I put the inflatable inner tube between the cab and camper on the rear window I have a better seal....this is a way to have an opening to the rear seat area through the windows w/o bugs getting in... can through stuff thru to the truck w/o getting out of the camper. This inflatable seal is only there when camping not driving.

As stated above the factory rubber bumper have the cush of a 2x4. There is no real cushioning effect from them. Just spacing.

There are so many different bed configurations out there these days. Many trucks have a bed rail at the front that is similar to the side rails with a lot of overhang to the inside. Others like mine have no over hang at all. The purpose of the spacers is to keep any over hanging rails from rubbing the front aluminum of the camper and doing damage. You really just need enough space to keep this from happening and to keep the camper from contacting the truck cab when flexed.

The turnbuckles hold the camper in place not the spacers. If the turnbuckles don't hold your camper it's time to figure out why!

I could understand leaving the factory bumpers with a truck with a metal bed. A Tacoma has a composite bed (plastic like) which provides no support for anything wedged up against it. The rear turn buckles pulling back and front turn buckles pulling forward is the only thing keeping a camper in place in a Tacoma.

TacoTruck said:
I could understand leaving the factory bumpers with a truck with a metal bed. A Tacoma has a composite bed (plastic like) which provides no support for anything wedged up against it. The rear turn buckles pulling back and front turn buckles pulling forward is the only thing keeping a camper in place in a Tacoma.
More the reason you wouldn't want those rubber spacers putting all the stress load in one spot on the composite bed, better to have the load spread out. The turnbuckles are what is supposed to be holding most all of our campers, unless it is thru-bolted to the bed or frame. Finally got my turnbuckles dialed in and they do not loosen and can't. Also installed a rear aluminum angle clip so the camper could not possibly shift rearward. Up grades my turnbuckles to 3/8" also. I am primarily off road with my rig and don't want any movement. Ron

I just took a saw to mine.... cut off about 3/4" (bolts are recessed) now I have about 1/2" clearance to the front rail.

buckland said:
I just took a saw to mine.... cut off about 3/4" (bolts are recessed) now I have about 1/2" clearance to the front rail.
Makes it sit and look better on the truck, you'll be happy. Ron

FWC used to tell you to throw in a 2x4 or something to keep it from rubbing on the bed. It ain't that scientific.

Yes, my Tacoma has a composite bed, with a overhanging lip that is a metal bar on the top of the front bed-wall for rigidity.

My rubber spacers are 2". I would never think of removing them. I don't think there are any benefits to sliding it forward a couple inches. As a matter of fact, it won't slide forward any more than 3/4". Then, the camper is grinding against the front of the bed. No good. -Kirk Out

bobcatspacer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom