FWC solar connector

ottorogers

I am installing my solar panel today, 2015 Hawk, there is an automotive style connector on the roof, does anybody know which pin is positive and negative? The connector I bought from the auto parts store has a red and white wire, I’m assuming red is positive and white is negative?!? The problem is red goes to the female connection at one end and the male connector at the other end, my solar charge controller is all wired in and working fine, I just need to connect the solar panel, I’m worried I will get the negative and positive wrong, help is appreciated

IMG_5712.JPG

Hello OttoR
Usually the hot (12+) would be the insulated side on the supply side ( coming from the battery). Get a meter and learn how time use it, not that difficult, will be most useful.
Checking and testing is the only way and much safer in the long run.
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hello OttoR
Usually the hot (12+) would be the insulated side on the supply side ( coming from the battery). Get a meter and learn how time use it, not that difficult, will be most useful.
Checking and testing is the only way and much safer in the long run.
Russ
thank you Russ, I did figure it out, I do have a meter, in the end I ended up wiring it backwards of course, so I reversed it and everything worked fine, four wheel campers wired it up the opposite on the roof opposed to the side door connector, no idea why

Hi Ottorogers
Glad you were able to get it done, sad when you have to fix mfg mistakes. Was reading what I wrote and sounded harsh about getting a meter and using it! Didn't mean to offend. So accept my apologies if it came across that way. How much solar you have now?
I am trying to figure out what I'm getting out of mine, haven't had any problems just trying to learn.

Russ

If there was no solar charge controller installed from the factory then the wiring from the roof and rear plug shouldn't have been terminated to anything inside the camper. If it wasn't then there was not really a positive or negative per say until you connected those wires to something. Ron

For what it's worth I'm still trying to sort out the pre-solar wiring in my 2017 Swift.
Behind an under-cabinet panel for a solar controller are a pair of 'WAGO' terminals, one (red) positive, one (black) negative which lead to the roof and back wall exterior panel connectors.
IMG_2395.jpg
FWC explained what the connectors are and that there would also be a 'bundle of wires' in the battery box for connecting to the battery. Which there is no sign of. Eventually I may dismantle the cabinetry around the battery box and see what's what, but in the meantime I wired in a separate external for a portable array.
After considerable thought and heed to the excellent commentary here I went with a Zamp 120 watt portable array, which now come with an integrated controller on the unit. This thing is NICE! The quality of construction and materials is beyond what I had expected and it puts out some serious juice.
https://thesolarstore.com/zamp-solar-120w-deluxe-portable-foldable-solar-panel-charge-controller-zs-120-gen-p-1355.html
The Solar Store in Bend, Oregon has several units on sale at the moment. Zamp Solar systems are made in Bend as well.

CougarCouple said:
Hi Ottorogers
Glad you were able to get it done, sad when you have to fix mfg mistakes. Was reading what I wrote and sounded harsh about getting a meter and using it! Didn't mean to offend. So accept my apologies if it came across that way. How much solar you have now?
I am trying to figure out what I'm getting out of mine, haven't had any problems just trying to learn.

Russ
Russ no problem at all, I appreciate your comments!! Thanks

I am getting 13.4 most of the day, so I am happy, the compressor fridge should not use up what the solar can produce, I should be fine (I hope)

Back
Top Bottom