FWC solar question

ottorogers

I have a 2015 Hawk, what solar panels/controller work with the preinstalled connections/wiring? Anybody know the MAX watts for 1 panel you can get? I was hoping for 200 WATTS? Is It Better to install 2 separate panels? I am assuming towards the front of the roof, should it be all the way, or just in the mid front area with easy access to the pre installed connector on the roof??

Any solar panel/controller will work with the preinstalled wiring. 160W is easy to fit between the two roof vents, spanning the yakima tracks, but you could probably go larger. Measure the spacing between the tracks and the spacing between the vents and pick a panel that fits. Be aware that you have to lift the panel every time you raise the roof - which for me was a good reason not to go larger than I needed with rigid panels.

rando said:
Any solar panel/controller will work with the preinstalled wiring. 160W is easy to fit between the two roof vents, spanning the yakima tracks, but you could probably go larger. Measure the spacing between the tracks and the spacing between the vents and pick a panel that fits. Be aware that you have to lift the panel every time you raise the roof - which for me was a good reason not to go larger than I needed with rigid panels. why do you need to lift the panels everytime you raise or lower the roof? If the panel is permanently fixed to the roof, how is that possible?? I only have one roof vent at the back by the rear door, for the kitchen area, nothing up front at all

I mean that you have to lift the weight of the panels when you raise the roof. 2 panels could be close to 60lbs added to the roof - which would have a significant impact on the effort required to lift the roof. We switched to two semi-flexible panels when we increased our solar from 160w to 240W to keep the weight down. If you don't have a front vent, then panel size is wide open. Do you have the yakima tracks?

rando said:
I mean that you have to lift the weight of the panels when you raise the roof. 2 panels could be close to 60lbs added to the roof - which would have a significant impact on the effort required to lift the roof. We switched to two semi-flexible panels when we increased our solar from 160w to 240W to keep the weight down. If you don't have a front vent, then panel size is wide open. Do you have the yakima tracks?
OK I get it now, I was thinking of getting the flat ones, we are parked right beside a large class a motorhome, he’s got about 800 W on his roof, it seems to glued or stuck somehow right to the roof, I’m going to talk to him when he gets back, They are literally attached right to the roof, they don’t even stick up a quarter of an inch

There are downsides to sticking them on the roof, especially when camping in high temps.

I have a 265W rigid panel on my roof. Works great.

Vic Harder said:
There are downsides to sticking them on the roof, especially when camping in high temps.

Which panel, Vic?

gaylon said:
Which panel, Vic?
The one I have isn't carried anymore, but this one is similar
https://www.solarwholesaler.ca/product/265w-matrix-polycrystalline-solar-panel/

Mine is 45 pounds, 2" x 40" x 66" I have it mounted at the very front of the camper roof, and 40# struts to help lift it. My wife can still get the top up by herself, and she isn't muscular.

I see they now have 290w panels too. The 265W was the biggest they had at the time (16 months ago)

Vic

Vic Harder said:
The one I have isn't carried anymore, but this one is similar
https://www.solarwholesaler.ca/product/265w-matrix-polycrystalline-solar-panel/

Mine is 45 pounds, 2" x 40" x 66" I have it mounted at the very front of the camper roof, and 40# struts to help lift it. My wife can still get the top up by herself, and she isn't muscular.

I see they now have 290w panels too. The 265W was the biggest they had at the time (16 months ago)

Vic
I cannot imagine needing 265 W, let alone 295 W, many friends of mine have 120 W and they are more than fine, our energy needs are not very high with four wheel camper ate hey? I was thinking 160 would be more than enough

Vic Harder said:

Which one? Do you only have one vent?

So much depends on your typical camping pattern, where you camp, how often you drive, how much power you can get from your truck when you are driving, what you are using the batteries for, at what temperatures.... lots of variables. Much of this is discussed here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13230-i-need-more-power-scotty/

So far, I have not put the system to much of a test. All 37 days of camping we have done has not been a strain on the power system I installed (220 AH of battery, 265W roof plus 200W portable, plus ability to pull 100A from the alternator when driving).

All comes down to usage, much like how much spring/airbag/payload do you need? ;-)

ottorogers said:
I cannot imagine needing 265 W, let alone 295 W, many friends of mine have 120 W and they are more than fine, our energy needs are not very high with four wheel camper ate hey? I was thinking 160 would be more than enough
I have one 160, with 2-way fridge, furnace, water pump, usb ports. Even in summer, I find that I want more solar if I'm staying in one spot for more than a couple of days. I think my fridge is unusually inefficient because I've had troubles with having enough power when fellow camperers (when we're together) with similar-enough set-ups are fine.

ottorogers said:
As Vic points out, there are way too many variables to come up with a rule of thumb for solar. The biggest variable would be if you have a 2 or 3 way fridge, your power needs are much lower with a 3 way than with a 2 way. It also depends on where you camp, how long you stay in one spot without moving, if you choose to park in the shade, if you use an inverter for larger appliances etc etc. Some people are fine with 50W, others run low with 200W.

rando said:
As Vic points out, there are way too many variables to come up with a rule of thumb for solar. The biggest variable would be if you have a 2 or 3 way fridge, your power needs are much lower with a 3 way than with a 2 way. It also depends on where you camp, how long you stay in one spot without moving, if you choose to park in the shade, if you use an inverter for larger appliances etc etc. Some people are fine with 50W, others run low with 200W.
I do have the two-way fridge, that runs strictly on 12 V, it’s the 80 liter Dometic model, the smaller one of the two, I have gone for three days without any problems on two batteries, but after that it starts to get low, and the fridge won’t work anymore, I think with solar,, better to have 265 W, it won’t hurt to have more, I also think the reasons for going with one solid panel as opposed to stick on low-profile panels makes sense, people are having problems with the stick-on solar panels it seems

This is a very helpful discussion, thank you all. As I ponder what type and size of system to build, I installed a panel assembly leftover from another rig. It's only 18 watts but that's enough to maintain the light usage at the moment. Hanging from the side it's good for the low angle of sun this time of year here on the 42nd parallel. Attached via a hinge, it can also face straight up for the trips to lower latitudes.

IMG_2392.jpg

cuervo said:
This is a very helpful discussion, thank you all. As I ponder what type and size of system to build, I installed a panel assembly leftover from another rig. It's only 18 watts but that's enough to maintain the light usage at the moment. Hanging from the side it's good for the low angle of sun this time of year here on the 42nd parallel. Attached via a hinge, it can also face straight up for the trips to lower latitudes.
attachicon.gif
IMG_2392.jpg
Clever mounting technique!

ottorogers said:
I do have the two-way fridge, that runs strictly on 12 V, it’s the 80 liter Dometic model, the smaller one of the two, I have gone for three days without any problems on two batteries, but after that it starts to get low, and the fridge won’t work anymore, I think with solar,, better to have 265 W, it won’t hurt to have more, I also think the reasons for going with one solid panel as opposed to stick on low-profile panels makes sense, people are having problems with the stick-on solar panels it seems
The other thing to keep in mind is that ANY shade on ANY part of your solar panel will kill the output. So a tree shadow, or even a shadow from the roof vent, can really impact the output of the panel.

Vic Harder said:
The other thing to keep in mind is that ANY shade on ANY part of your solar panel will kill the output. So a tree shadow, or even a shadow from the roof vent, can really impact the output of the panel.
This is one of a couple of reasons 2 panels can be better than one. With 2 panels if one gets shaded you still have juice from the other. One single panel gets much shading and output drops to the floor.

Also if you have a breakage on one panel you always have the other as a back up. Especially if your panel wiring is such that the panels are parallel and can be unplugged. Such as 1) 100 w and 1)120 vs 200+ single panel.

Downside is roof space and weight.

Back
Top Bottom