FWC Stock Turnbuckle Working Load Limit

Bwht4x4

Anyone know what the working load limit is on the 3/8" turnbuckles FWC supplies with our campers? With the aluminum body it can't be that much.

Also, the front attachment point on my camper has one quick link on each side. Are they necessary? What purpose do they serve?

They are strong enough to have the elevator bolts on the camper shear first or rip through the plywood of the camper...official strength? I dunno. But I'd reckon plenty strong for anything you are likely to dish out. Mine are not even remotely bent.

I need to buy some replacement turnbuckles so I can try out the Torklift Fastgun Derringers and the difference in turnbuckle working load limits on McMaster Carr is huge: 1000 lbs or 144 lbs for 3/8".

I questioned FWC about the aluminum turnbuckles and was told they have never had any problems with them. I am using them and have not experienced any trouble although they are only rated for 360lb load(each), or 1440lbs combined. I have looked at heavier ones and they really jump in price when you start talking about forged turnbuckles. I don't worry about everyday use, but more about how well they will hold in a collision or certain offroad conditions.

I haven't been able to find any open bodied aluminum turnbuckles with a 3.8" thread that are rated to 360 lbs. The highest I've seen is 150 lbs. If you have info or a link to them please post it here.

Thanks

The ones I have were with the camper when I bought it used. I have seen the exact turnbuckle at the local Ace hardware store, Ace doesn't list them online, so I guess they are purchased by buyers at individual stores. Google it online, there are many suppliers. Don't get caught up with needing the hook/hook type, you can use a hook and eye with a shackle at the eye end.

Back
Top Bottom