FWC Touch up paint

kmacafee

Greetings

I have a 2012 Eagle and with the amount of usage it has had, I have paint rubbing off in places where stuff rubs against it. Its white so I suppose white touch up paint would work but thought I would check to see what others have had success with.

Cheers

Kevin

I talked to Stan about this when I first got my Hawk. He suggested white appliance paint, which you can buy in a spray can.

Light is pretty flat this morning here so I thought I'd take a photo of the rear of my Hawk and see how the different whites on my camper show up. The photo didn't turn out that well for the purpose but I'll use it as a reference for my comments.

HawkWhitePaints.jpg

1. I used Rustoleum Gloss White in the little can in this area. I made some mistakes in removing the decal and exposed bright aluminum. ( Tip: Don't let Goo Gone Extreme touch your paint unless you like that 'Uh-oh, what am I gonna do now?' feeling.). The match is close to perfect (on my '01). An expert might complain about a difference in sheen when it's first put on but that disappeared very quickly.

2. I refinished these trim pieces in August 2015 using white Rustoleum Aluminum Primer and then white Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel. The color is a little too white, particularly at first. This is what it looked like at the time.

HawkRearTrimFinalCropped.jpg

3. This, believe it or not, is white PlastiDip. I had refinished the brackets with the Rustoleum Professional High Performance enamel and made (yet another) mistake. I left the brackets laying on my work table in the sun after they were dry and it kind of melted the paint, leaving marks where the brackets were lying against or on each other. I needed to get them back on so went ahead. Also, bolting on and taking off the jacks scarred the new paint. So I decided to try the PlastiDip as an experiment. It was a little too white at first also. But I've been surprised how well it has held up.

4. The door skin is the original and it's too far off of white-- almost a cream color. I really ought to paint it.

5. This furnace cover is also original and a bit too white compared to the siding. Close enough to not even consider painting it, though.

6. This screw-head is on a replacement screw which came painted. It too is a bit extra-white. Could easily be resolved with the little-can paint if it bothered me.

7. These screw-heads were all painted with the Rustoleum White Gloss little-can paint. The trim is original. Good match.

I've also done little touch-ups other places on the aluminum siding and trim on the camper. All I did there was clean the surface a bit and brush on the paint from right out of the can. No other prep, no undercoat (for touch-ups).

I had the same experience with Goo Be Gone.....Paint Be Gone immediately.
On my 2012 Hawk Rustoleum Gloss White was a perfect match.

Back
Top Bottom