FWC Trash Removal Contest

Good on you, Henry. We haul garbage every time we camp but I don't think it has added up to 200+ pounds. Though there was one hunting camp that probably came close. They even left a trashed BBQ and deer legs behind.

Contest or not, I would encourage all members no matter what type of camper they have to always leave a campsite cleaner than you found. I like to think that the people that come in after us notice there is no trash and make an effort to keep it that way.

Ted said:
<snip>

Contest or not, I would encourage all members no matter what type of camper they have to always leave a campsite cleaner than you found. I like to think that the people that come in after us notice there is no trash and make an effort to keep it that way.
Good for you Ted and well said too! Yup, we don't need a contest either.

We don't need a contest but no harm in one either. Reminds me, I need to pick up more trash bags. BLM site I'm currently at is nice and clean. I carry gloves and hand sanitizer after cleaning up diapers that were left behind.

Not quite sure how to hashtag something either:)

My father in law goes to a lot of music festivals and does a fair amount of camping as well. He has started to buy those reacher/grabber things at the dollar store and gives them away when camping. The ones he gives out are obviously pretty flimsy but it's a cool idea to promote campsite cleanup. My wife got a two pack of decent grabbers at Costco a while back, not as cheap as the dollar store but will last longer. A grabber takes up minimal space (can easily be stowed with the turnbuckles), and makes cleaning an area up a little more leisurely, especially if you also have a trash bag lined bucket. Through careful testing, I have determined that you can actually wander around camp with a beer in one hand and a grabber/bucket in the other. Find trash, set bucket down, grab trash and place in bucket, sip beer, repeat.

I commend you! I My wife and I do the same and at times when it gets me all riled up ... I have left notes on camp site trees (no nails) pleading for folks to keep it clean. There is nothing that will ruin a trip more for me than to witness folks trashing a place for no other reason than selfishness (ok and maybe stupidity).... it all goes back to what people are taught. Education and respect are the answer to most problems.

(a diaper left behind?.... that's nuts! ... I was at a beach and saw a lady clean out one in the surf!) argh!!!!!!!!!!

We were backpacking at Thousand Island Lake after climbing Mt Banner and watched a man wade out into the lake to fetch a diaper. Just could not believe it.

The best is when you hit a remote forest campground that has just opened and there is toilet paper everywhere because people have been illegally camping there during the off season when the restrooms are locked. Shovel: Use It.

Back
Top Bottom