FWC uses - Other than camping

BobM said:
I use mine in anticipation of the appocalysp. The small size and light weight make for easy navigation over and around zombies:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app
Good point about the zombies, maybe I'll go over the thread titled: "options I would like to see" and see if we can get FWC to beef up the roof to handle a .50 caliber gun.

Video Game Cave

We had a 24hr electric outage, my son camped out in the Grandby and ran his video games off a small inverter and the batteries. If I ever get the solar hooked up, he could probably live in it!

I use my Eagle as heated storage for short periods during the winter. I live in a hike in/ski in cabin during the winter and sometimes I leave my furnace on over night to keep stuff ie., excess groceries/electronics/water from freezing. Makes a good gear cashe so I dont have to haul everything to my cabin, then back out again.

Kolockum said:
I use my Eagle as heated storage for short periods during the winter. I live in a hike in/ski in cabin during the winter and sometimes I leave my furnace on over night to keep stuff ie., excess groceries/electronics/water from freezing. Makes a good gear cashe so I dont have to haul everything to my cabin, then back out again.
How do you get the camper to the cabin?

DanT said:
How do you get the camper to the cabin?
[SIZE=10.5pt]Sorry I didn’t make that clear. I leave my truck and camper at a nearby parking lot and hike/ski into the cabin. If I have gear or supplies I don’t need or feel like hauling into the cabin I just leave them in the camper. I commute in and out every day so if I need to keep things from freezing in the camper I just leave my furnace on (with the top down) and check on it on my way to work and on my way home. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]We were joking about putting the camper on our Thiokol Snowcat but that idea got shot down pretty quick. (Here is a image of a similar Thiokol I found on the internet).[/SIZE]

Attachments

• thiokol-spryte-11.jpg
    thiokol-spryte-11.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 128
Thanks for the clarification. The FWC on the snowcat would make an interesting post.
How wide is the snowcat?
On a totally separate note, do you have electricity in your cabin ?

DanT said:
Thanks for the clarification. The FWC on the snowcat would make an interesting post.
How wide is the snowcat?
On a totally separate note, do you have electricity in your cabin ?
PM Sent to avoid thread hijack

d tree's said:
I use mine for Work at lunch break
I'm still in the market for my FWC, and that's part of the reason I started this thread. I'm looking for that "added value" to help justify the purchase. Im poor right now . Not making oilfield money.

I was hoping to hear from somebody who was using it for this purpose. I only have so much time to get away (camping).
I'm not a fan of lunch rooms. I like to get away from work during lunch.
Hopefully this helps you choose or make healthier lunches.

Do you actually heat or make your lunch in your FWC?

I use mine for lunch even when I am just in town. Heck when I get tired my wife and I park at a city park and take a nap. I use it for that a lot.

d tree's said:
Besides hunting fishing and camping , I use mine for Work at lunch break
Yup. I back mine up to the beach at work just about every day. Open the door and take a nice siesta, can't beat it.

Bill
I brown bag generally to eat better and save a few bucks also listen to music and grab a cat nap inside .. I'm thinking about adding a small micro wave to heat up left overs . I love my camper

Seeing I started this thread 1 1/2 years ago to help justify my FWC purchase, I thought I might revive it and add my thoughts now that I have owned a FWC Hawk for over a year.

I can't believe how much use I have got from the Hawk other than camping.

When we are camping we normally set up and tent for our clothes and junk and then take the Hawk on day trips, it so nice to still have the camper on the truck.
We:
Hang out at the beach
make lunch
take naps
Use the porta potty if there is an emergency
We've taken shelter from storms
We've slept at roadside rest stops
We use the Hawk as a change room
We've taken hot showers after jumping into glacial lakes

Although we don't cook in the Hawk, we bring the camp stove with us and our lawn chairs, so we pretty much make ourselves at home wherever we are.

We never feel like we are in a rush nor do we feel any urgency to get back to camp
We can rest, eat etc. and do 2 or 3 events without having to go back to camp.
It's so nice to have a cold fridge wherever we go.

I keep my Hawk on my truck as a daily driver because I'm getting a lot of use out of it in the city as well.
We take day trips to our local parks. It's nice to always have wood and an axe on hand.
Same with the camp stove.

Today I drove 2 blocks away from work and made my lunch at a small park and then had a 10 minute nap.

I am currently 100% happy with my purchase. We've camped 6 times this year since Jan. and most of my neighbours haven't moved their 24" trailers even once.

I hope this helps others that are wondering if there is "value" in what are relatively expensive campers.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I hope in reviving this thread, others will share some of their non camping uses for their FWCs or even comment on the value that they feel they get out of owning a FWC even if it is just for camping.

JacintoKid said:
Good point about the zombies, maybe I'll go over the thread titled: "options I would like to see" and see if we can get FWC to beef up the roof to handle a .50 caliber gun.
+ 1
Gotta have something to deal with the zombies....

A couple of weeks ago, I was volunteering for Red Cross when a near-by town had been evacuated (fire). Once the sun went down, it got cold. I had sweater and jacket and potty and food in my camper to sustain me while helping folks.

I enjoyed this article so much, I signed in so I could ask some questions. Do you all raise your top for these short periods, or snooze on the dinette? Is your refrigerator always running, or do you take a small cooler with? This is the type of outing I would like to have a small camper for, easy to always have at home in the driveway and ready to go.

Thanks loads for any more advice.

Oldgeezer said:
I enjoyed this article so much, I signed in so I could ask some questions. Do you all raise your top for these short periods, or snooze on the dinette? Is your refrigerator always running, or do you take a small cooler with? This is the type of outing I would like to have a small camper for, easy to always have at home in the driveway and ready to go.

Hi Geezer,

I have a full kitchen on one side and a full sized roll over couch on the other. So often I will just crawl in the back and take a nap without popping the top. The couch is wide enough on its own that it doesn't need to be rolled over to lay on it. I'll open the roof vent. and open the 2 easily accessible turn buckle access doors under the kitchen cabinets for air flow and turn on the fantastic fan.

I also have access to the fridge (even the sink if I had to). Basically everything but the stove.

I'm actually just going to start to see how long the propane will last running the fridge full time in the city.

I'll have to report back to you later on the fridge.

It would be interesting to know if other owners with dinettes get as much use out of the camper with the top down.

Oldgeezer said:

For quick nap, or lunch out of the fridge I leave the top down. I start the fridge about Wednesday if I am going somewhere on the weekend. For naps I need to roll over the couch.
I have my camper on full time and love it.

Back
Top Bottom