FWC Workshop Vise

brentano

When I travel I miss my home workshop. So I have added a key component to my FWC camper: a vise.

It is attached to the rear passenger mechanical jack bracket. It is an Irwin #226340 drill press vise, held to the camper bracket with (2) SS M8 x 35 bolts. The wood jaws are 4" x 1" x 1/4" alder, countersunk with SS 6mm x 12 flat head head phillips screws. Rustproofing is via an occasional rub down with T9 lubriicant.

I also installed a bubble level on top of the vise.

Total weight: 8 pounds. Total cost: $25

Attachments

• FWC_Vise.JPG
    FWC_Vise.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 156
brentano said:
When I travel I miss my home workshop. So I have added a key component to my FWC camper: a vise.

It is attached to the rear passenger mechanical jack bracket. It is an Irwin #226340 drill press vise, held to the camper bracket with (2) SS M8 x 35 bolts. The wood jaws are 4" x 1" x 1/4" alder, countersunk with SS 6mm x 12 flat head head phillips screws. Rustproofing is via an occasional rub down with T9 lubriicant.

I also installed a bubble level on top of the vise.

Total weight: 8 pounds. Total cost: $25
Keep your friends close, and your vice(s) closer! :)

I like it! I have a small clamp on vice in my boat. I also have a receiver mount vice that I carry occasionally. That extra hand is often worth it's weight in gold. Just keep it greased up or it will rust fast in the weather.

nikonron said:
I'm still trying to justify why I need it. :) Ron
And the tools you need to carry to use it. It is very use specific, but when you need one....

cwd

Now you've done it. I have enough trouble getting my husband out if his shop at home. Now you've got him thinking about taking it on the road with us. He' out contemplating the install right now.

Wander The West does it again.

Creative thinking and a neat concept. I like that it is only 8 lbs and $25.

There are plenty of vices that mount in your receiver hitch as well. Typically heavier and pricier.

Back
Top Bottom