FWC's & ATC's from the road

kcowyo

While I'm appararently procrastinating from wrapping up a trip report or two here, I thought I would ask,

"Am I the only one who snaps photos of other Four Wheel Campers and All Terrain Campers I see on the road?"

So I wanted to start an eye-candy thread, where we can post pics of other campers we have either seen in passing or maybe even those campers we have met on the road. I've got a bunch of photos, hopefully there are some other members who do the same....

My random meeting of DirtyDog on the road (ok, I chased him down) near Salmon, Idaho in 2006 -
Montana+102.jpg

FWC Hawk - seen in Moab, April 2008 -
Utah+W011.jpg

All Terrain Camper - spotted in Yellowstone NP, May 2008 -
MemDay+08+086.jpg

MemDay+08+087.jpg

Dates & locations aren't required, but if you've got photos of other campers you've encountered, let's see 'em!

Somewhere on the Oregon Coast, maybe Coos Bay, late december 08.

Attachments

• IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 491
I've only seen a few in action around here so far and they were usually going the opposite direction. However now that I have one I'll likely notice more as time goes on and like to take pictures so you can do the math.

Seen around Leadville, Colorado
June 2006
Turtle III

Leadville+ExPo+078.jpg

Leadville+ExPo+079.jpg

Seen on the Million Dollar Highway above Durango, Colorado
March 2009 -
Colorado+169.JPG

Seen in Ouray, Colorado
March 2009
Colorado+195.jpg

Airbags?? I don't need no stinkin' airbags......

Attachments

• Leadville ExPo 079.jpg
    Leadville ExPo 079.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 442
Cat litter toilet.

Airbags?? I don't need no stinkin' airbags......

I bet he doesn't need a cat litter toilet either.

On a side note, I saw a Hawk on a Tundra on the side of the road in Lone Pine around 9:00pm Friday night.

Also I'm pretty dang sure I saw LQHikers heading northbound with their Six Pac in Independence Sunday afternoon...was that you Les?

Nice one SunMan. I like the looks of a FWC on a utility bed.

Here are two more I saw in the same campground.

Seen in Grand Teton National Park
May 2008
MemDay+08+100.jpg

MemDay+08+101.jpg

I've seen 5 FWC's in the Vail Valley in the last year.

Of those, 3 are (or were) definitely "local"...being spotted over multiple months/etc. However, here in Ski Country people tend to come and spend a season or two then leave. I saw a Grandby last Winter all the time at a condo complex but haven't seen it since this Xmas or so. There was also a new Eagle on a 2007 Taco cruisin' around for a bit last Summer as a tease...just weeks before my Hawk was delivered.

This guy has been here well over a year. I drove right to it this AM and there it was. There's a Blue Dodge around with an FWC on it and we've passed/waved a few times but I've yet to figure out where he lives.

I stuck the P& S camera in the car to try to get a few shots......

mtn

Attachments

• fwc.jpg
    fwc.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 521
Busted!!

Yep, that was my rig when it was still clean. I was on my way North. You should have stopped; I was in the back having lunch.

My next stop was Watson Lake to check in with Robbie, then on to Alaska. After scaring all the bears that I could, I ran up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. Three months out and I'm ready to do it again.

Thanks for blocking out my license plate. The Mounties have been lookin' for me.

I'm thinking about the Alpine Loop. Maybe we'll meet up.

-Buzz

Attachments

• 20080719-_MG_71737173.jpg
    20080719-_MG_71737173.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 376
  • MemDay 08 086.jpg
    MemDay 08 086.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 376
  • ArcticCircle.jpg
    ArcticCircle.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 369
Hey Buzz! Too funny!

I half wondered if any pics I have, may be of current forum members, you just never know. Sounds like you were on the way to a great trip. The Arctic Circle... so jealous.

I am trying to block out license plates in these pics, as a courtesy. Not that everyone can't see them driving down the road, but people get a little weirded out having them posted online.

Seen in Borrego Springs, California
December 2008 -
sv+381.jpg

sv+382.jpg

Seen at the Togwotee Mountain Lodge, above Dubois, WY - June 2009
FD09+001.jpg

Seen in Yellowstone National Park, Father's Day, June 2009 -
FD09+011.jpg

Sticky?

I guess I need to keep the camera in the truck...

Me 2

Missed pics of a dark green Ford Ranger with CA plates and a FWC (Eagle??) and a dark grey Tundra with CA plates and a FWC Fleet supported at the back with an "extend-a-bed" hitch attachment, both here in Juneau this year.

Nice thread KC! Wonder if DD might add it as a sticky?? It would be fun to see over the years.:thumb:

Happy Trails,
'birds

I guess I need to keep the camera in the truck or get a little point and shoot.

I've found it's even more important to have a co-pilot who doesn't mind whiplash inducing random u-turns to achieve said photos....

Imagine my dissapointment after spending 8 days in the heart of Idaho, and not snapping a single pic of a FWC... I saw one, a newer Hawk on a new gray Silverado, but it blew by me as I was taking pics down on the Salmon River.

Apparently the favored mode of transportation up there is a 3rd generation Toyota 4Runner, with a Thule or Yakima cargo box on the roof. I could've snapped a hundred photos of those set-ups. Leave it to Jackson Hole to come through for me, with my only FWC photo for the entire trip -

Jackson, WY - July 2009
ID09317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom