FWC's on Reg Cab Trucks

Vector1

I'm wondering how many folks out there have their FW campers on regular cab trucks (I'm seeing a few in the gallery) and wondering if they're finding it to be a substantial storage hassle/deal breaker, or one they have overcome.

Working in the woods, I've always owned a reg cab truck (for the shorter wheelbase), so it's what I'm used to and would prefer to continue, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has been dealing with it hauling a camper. Any other issues with them besides storage--visibility, etc.?

Thanks!

With a pop up camper in our future we went with a regular cab truck for two reasons. First, the regular cab trucks naturally weigh less than a extended cab or 4 door truck and with that less weight usually comes a slightly higher payload rating. I really wanted to stay with a half ton truck and not exceeding GVWR was important. Second, my wife thought the regular cab short box was cute which sealed the deal since she drives it to work everyday. Before we decided on a 4 Wheel Camper we had some interest in a Palimino pop up. We took a trip to a dealership in Iowa to look at them and the dealer was kind enough to set the unit on our truck to determine how it affected the rear springs.The attached photo is from that test fit. The Palimino weighed 1,500 pounds dry and putting my wife and I inside along with all our gear would put us well over GVWR.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 434
Vector1, good post and one that's near and dear to my heart. In 2013 I ordered a reg cab chevy 3500 SRW long bed to put my soon to pick up Grandby on. I've always had 8 foot beds for my construction business along with the fact that I've had my eye on a Grandby since 2011. My last pickup was a 02 2500 silverado with an extended cab long bed, great truck but I felt it might have to long of a wheel base for the kind of off road traveling I was anticipating doing with my Grandby. Sometimes it felt to long in the local supermarket parking lot. So in my mind my next rig was going to be a reg cab long bed and I started planning accordingly.
I put a lot of thought on how I was to make this work and here's what I came up with:

First,. My thought was that after having an extended cab and getting used to clearing off the front seat by putting things on the extended cab seats that I would miss this option and I do. I wanted to make the truck and camper feel like one space as much as possible, like the old blazer / bronco FWC combo. To accomplish this I looked into having a custom rear window made as the factory rear slider is a joke as far as open area. I had no luck an I will continue to pursue this idea, for the time being I purchased a CR Laurence slider giving me a 16 1/2" square clear opening. I'll see how this works out, the custom unit could just be a removable section about 36" x 16 ". I'll use the rig first and see if it would be worth the dollars to do something custom assuming I could find a fabricator. As far as the FWC pass through window, that clear opening I was told is about 13 1/2" square. To solve this problem there are RV window manf that will make what ever you design to fit in an RV wall and for less then you'd think. Instead of a slider I will have a removable glass panel with two small sidelights on either side. I think the opening in the camper wall is about 44" x 15" (anyone want to confirm this?) I could have a removable section in the middle around 36"wide with a 4"lite on either side.
By making this opening as large as possible I would solve the claustrophobic cab syndrome and hopefully create a way to slither
in between in the event of an emergency.
Secondly, storage. On the advise of Sean Dempsey, the FWC dealer in Wisconsin, the problem of storage and my size 6'2" would both be well served by choosing the roll over couch option. So I did. My missing extended cab storage problem will also be alleviated by a custom rear bumper with a swing away cargo area. For the time being I will have a hitch mount step / storage area until I get a chance to assess my needs. I anticipate fabricating the rear bumper next winter.
All that being said I can't wait to see the camper on my reg cab truck because the FWC and reg cab combo has an undeniable cool factor and you just don't see them anymore.
DanT

I've had my 2009 Hawk (side dinette) on both a '96 F-150 regular cab and my current 2011 F-250 extended cab. My wife and i usually travel together and always seem to have a lot of stuff. Two people at the same time in a Hawk is a bit cramped so the extended cab is great for stowing gear that would either clutter up the Hawk or have to be piled on the front seats. I'm able to carry an extra portable fridge for drinks in the extended cab seats and still have room for extra gear, clothes, or whatever. I'm glad I have the extra space.

We love our regular cab. We posted our storage system here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9875-storage-solutions/

Regular cab long bed for us is not a hassle but a requirement: more living space (8 ft camper), more payload, better front/back weight balance, and shorter wheel base (compare to extended/crew cab long bed).

Visibility is very good on our regular cab after getting the dealer installed trailer mirrors. We drive the GW, Cross Bronx, Throgs Neck, and Long Island Expressway all the time without difficulty (family visits). We aim the lower fish eye at our blind spots on both sides and the upper mirror so it barely shows the side of the truck. Make a habit of checking the lower fish eye blind spot mirror first because the upper mirror shows NONE of the blind spot and is VERY misleading for lane changes.

The shorter wheel base helps at intersections that are not square 90 deg. We spin the wheel fast before the stop to get the view and thin spin the wheel fast the other way to proceed. Almost like driving a tandem. I make a habit of driving my Astro and Xterra the same way to keep me in the habit.

I had a Grandby on a regular cab Ford from 1997 until 2006. Now I have an extended cab Ford with a 2014 Grandby. Both trucks have 8' beds. I will try to identify the contrasts between the two styles.

Summary-stuff I now store in the space behind the seats used to go in and out of the camper on the old setup. My recollection is that it was more hassle, by far, then, but it clearly never stopped me from doing what I wanted. If my priorities included a shorter wheelbase, for whatever reason, it wouldn't stop me from having a regular cab and/or a shorter bed. It's just a set of various compromises that one needs to make to suit their desires. And options available on the newer campers eliminate a lot of the stuff I had to carry.

Read on if you are bored. ;-)

On the old setup I usually base camped out of the Grandby at 4X4 events, with my FJ40 on a flatbed trailer towed behind, but I also camped with just the camper, as well as tent camped out of the FJ40 on through trips like the Rubicon and Dusy/Ershim. All the 'stuff' was in various plastic containers that I could take in either the FJ40 or inside the Grandby, or split betwen them and the trailer. I didn't want to spend time packing and repacking between types of trips so I tended to take the same containers on all trips. The main exceptions would be that the amount of H2o hauled would vary if I was able to snag shower water from a lake or creek I camped by (for the Zodi shower) vs. if I was at Johnson Valley or somewhere without a water supply.

The setup and pack up would require a lot of stuff being removed from the camper floor first, or loaded into the camper floor last. And usually this would drag mud or dirt or wet into the camper, that I'd need to clean out later when I got home.

Now I don't have the trailer and the FJ40, but I have no back seat in the Ford cab, so there is a lot of flat surface to store stuff. I still tent camp (out of a car sometimes) so there are still a few plastic containers that may go along with the camper. The 'stuff' that gets loaded in the truck varies by activity planned for the trip (hiking, WW kayaking, Sea Kayakling, Mtn. Biking), with the big items on a bike rack or the roof rack, as applicable. The only thing stored in the camper that goes in or out is the portable solar panel, when it is brought along.

It seems setup is way faster, as is tear down. Part of this comes from less stuff, as the camper has a shower and 2X the water capacity as before, so I don't need to haul the zodi or the extra water. And then there aren't those outside window flaps to open or close or the need to use and carry a stepstool to access them. And there is also a fridge that works and doesn't need to be manually fiddled with upon setup or departure. .Part of it is because the loading is spread over more time, as I can put things into the truck when I am done with them, not collect them outside waiting for me to do the final loading. And part of it is the tools etc. can be permanenly stored in the truck cab instead of being loaded and unloaded each trip.

DesertDave said:
Summary-stuff I now store in the space behind the seats used to go in and out of the camper on the old setup. My recollection is that it was more hassle, by far, then, but it clearly never stopped me from doing what I wanted. If my priorities included a shorter wheelbase, for whatever reason, it wouldn't stop me from having a regular cab and/or a shorter bed. It's just a set of various compromises that one needs to make to suit their desires. And options available on the newer campers eliminate a lot of the stuff I had to carry.

This seems to summarize not just DDave's response, but most of the responses posted here so far. It seems like a realistic and useful perspective.
Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses. It sounds like lots of folks are able to make regular cabs work, and to take advantage of the long bed, increased payload, and shorter wheelbase.
Since the nearly complete disappearance of regular cabs on long bed trucks, it's good to hear from folks who understand that it's about balancing compromises, and not just about one option being so much better in all cases for everyone, despite what sales and marketing happen to be pushing from one year to the next. I'm certainly not trying to determine whether one system is better than another, but am trying to find out what the trade offs really are before I make my decision. Again, thanks all for your input. It's invaluable.

The 2nd generation Tundra has the most room (by far) behind the front seat of all the current reg cab offerings. It definitely helps to offset the space penalty associated with most RCs.

Cheers,
Billimage.jpg

Life Long Construction / Carpenter, Reg Cab, if you can't get a Full Sheet of Ply wood in the Bed it's Just a Grocery Getter.
Grandby in My 8' Bed!

Mr. Vertical said:
Life Long Construction / Carpenter, Reg Cab, if you can't get a Full Sheet of Ply wood in the Bed it's Just a Grocery Getter.
Grandby in My 8' Bed!
Not a FWC, but hell yeah work trucks forever!

camper.jpg

That reg cab Toyota and that pop up look great together.
Particularly the white.

Obviously, you guys are joking.

I keep my 2009 black GMC regular cab 6 1/2 foot box truck in showroom condition. I'm into detailing. 6 years later, it looks better than brand new (no more dealer installed swirls).
but
I also use it for hauling gravel, sheets of plywood (with the tailgate down), motorcycles, firewood, everything in between and a soon to be Hawk. Usually I have an axe and firewood in the back 365 days/yr.

Just because it's a truck and it's taken care of, doesn't mean it's just a grocery getter. Infact, that's the thing it's worst at. I don't have much room in the cab, so I have to skoot home right away after picking up groceries, so they don't freeze in the winter, or spoil in the summer. :p

Not completely joking,
I'll give you this, the short bed reg cab / hawk combo is perhaps cooler looking and certainly more capable on the trails. But short beds can't hold a candle to long beds on the construction site. Just a fact, I have a Fuso FG140 with an 11" dump body and my 8' pick up is feeling inadequate. I've had many trucks and would love to have a short bed reg cab for around town and especially for off road. Construction vehicles aside, my biggest concern is my other truck campers have been between 9 and 10 feet and I think the Granby is as small as I confidently purchase and be sure it's the right choice.

IF you are using your truck for construction a std cab 8 ft bed is a great combination. Most of us use our trucks as a family truck and to haul our campers. I have a Access Cab Tundra and looking at a Double Cab Chevy. Most constructions trucks are run into the ground so resale is not a concern. For most of us resale is a concern, good friend called standard cabs "No resale Value trucks" I did a quick check 2005 2500HD both 8 ft beds same engine and 4WD and same options. At 80,000 miles over $7,000 difference in resale value.

That is probably more true now more than in the past. I'm on my fifth regular cab and didn't have any trouble selling the other four.

Back
Top Bottom