Garmin GPS

griz

Looking at getting a newer unit for the road and bush. Have narrowed it down too these units Nuvi 550 and a Montana 600.

Any of you fine people having input on these would be much app.

Thks

Looking at getting a newer unit for the road and bush. Have narrowed it down too these units Nuvi 550 and a Montana 600.

Any of you fine people having input on these would be much app.

Thks

I expect this is not what you are looking for but I am very happy with the GPS Kit for the Iphone. It lets you cache maps for the entire region you are going into so don't need a 3G signal to know exactly where you are. I like having one less thing to carry.

Get the one with the biggest screen and longest battery life when you take it out of the truck....

I really like my old school garmin - I have felt that they have better stock maps then they other brands and easier operations.

Thks all for the in put. There are so many models I have just about to say hell with it. I have to say that I will use it 90% of the time in the vehicle in the bush, so a nuvi might work out just fine. I did notice the battery life was alot better with the montana but?

Thanks again............

For what its worth ... I have used the Garmin 60CSX extensively around the world but mostly in Canada with nothing but success. During my research it was described to me as the "working mans" GPS in that it was durable, functional, and has great reception which is required to use in the bush or tree cover. Good news they have come down in price significantly. I paid 400+ for mine. They were recently advertised at costco for 150.00.

Don't give up. Having a GPS is extremely handy for so many different reasons.

have the 60 at work and it was the one to buy back then. thing is i would like a bigger screen. getting close on a decision, i hope.

thks all..............

I love my 76csx, but the ability to have the new BirdsEye images on a unit would be nice. And save me bringing printed out pages of Google Earth images and some guess work in the field. However, I read mixed reviews about the image quality, coverage, etc, for the additional cost.

All good stuff guys, and thanks. Ended up with a nuvi 50lm @ $150 what the hell. Will be loading it with our bc backroads.

I have a Nuvi 550. I bought it mostly so I could transfer it over to the ATV when riding. Some things I like; others not so much. It seems to be tough and reliable. I like the 'hardened' construction - dust and waterproof. The antenna is good. I can get a position lock in my den without even being close to window access. Battery life seems reasonable but I opted for cabling from the vehicle wiring system in both the truck and ATV. Downloading maps from Garmin's MapSource works well. With an extra chip, I can get all of Canada and western US topos installed.

I'm not overly keen on some of the software which is a bit unusual for Garmin. In general, the software is pretty limited when compared to an eTrex Vista. Creating routes in MapSource and downloading them to the Nuvi is possible but 'rude' and the graphics are poor. I also like to create routes on GoogleEarth and pass them through MapSource to my eTrex. I was hoping this would be equally efficient on the Nuvi. No such luck. Also, the documentation with the Nuvi isn't great.

In the end, I was hoping the Nuvi would be an eTrex with a larger screen and driving compatibility. Not so. It is basically a waterproof car navigation GPS.

Hope this helps.

White Dog you are correct. Have checked into them and if you want to play with it you need the portible unit. Better unit all round, graphics etc.

The unit to get is the Montana 4" with all the bells and whistle, but at $550 did not need one that bad. If I was leaving the vehicle often then for sure it would be a keeper.

Thks for the info................

Merry Christmas

I have three of the Garmins of different generation and always keep one in the glovebox but actually...

I never turn them on anymore.

A lot more fun to wander around aimlessly until I find what I want.

White Dog you are correct. Have checked into them and if you want to play with it you need the portible unit. Better unit all round, graphics etc.

The unit to get is the Montana 4" with all the bells and whistle, but at $550 did not need one that bad. If I was leaving the vehicle often then for sure it would be a keeper.

Thks for the info................

Merry Christmas

Actually if Garmin would release a 7" screen vehicle GPS (like magellan) like the Montana, Jack would be a happy boy. But I am not holding my breath. They barely want to provide a 5" screen in the Nuvi line, much less anything else.

Jack

Jack, i agree 100%. Could get a netbook computor and the add ons to go with but to clumsey.

I have been using a 15" laptop too big.

Guess we can never be happy.......................

I started in GPS with a Garmin GPS III and a Lowrance GlobalMap 3000MT. I liked the GM's display size and user interface, but not their total lack of support or care about maps that they didn't already offer. The Garmin "GPS x" family is perfect for how I mostly use a GPS, just a little small in display size though it does have remarkably good resolution. I currently have a GPS V that I will use until it dies, which will hopefully be a very long time as it's potential replacement (276 or 376 series) isn't particularly inexpensive.

I was given Overland Navigator for Christmas. I'm currently loading it on my Asus Eee netbook, which has a 10" diagonal screen and is 10.5" wide in total. I intend for this to be my new, large display GPS system. (I also use the Eee as the digi-pics repository, larger screen digi-pic viewing, emergency race radio re-programming, and for net access while on the road.) The O.N. program needs a GPS reciever, but the 'hockey puck' that Spacial Minds offers is nothing more than a magnetic based dongle on the end of a semi-long USB cable. Could probably also use one of the Gilsson GPS antennas, but I've not verified that. So two cables (power & 'antenna') comprise the total cable mess this system needs to function. One more than the GPS V needs, but the same as the Lowrance.

Yup i to have the garmin lll. It is hooked up to the laptop. An the lll is used with paper maps/charts while on foot.

Still thinking the montana just might be the ticket. $$$ ok if i use it,??

Thks all.....................
ps i should of ask santa for one

Jack, i agree 100%. Could get a netbook computor and the add ons to go with but to clumsey.

I have been using a 15" laptop too big.

Guess we can never be happy.......................

I started with a Garmin GPSIII also, have tried a few different things, including my gpsIII years ago tethered to a laptop and clumsy/bulky to say the least.

Jack

I started in GPS with a Garmin GPS III and a Lowrance GlobalMap 3000MT. I liked the GM's display size and user interface, but not their total lack of support or care about maps that they didn't already offer. The Garmin "GPS x" family is perfect for how I mostly use a GPS, just a little small in display size though it does have remarkably good resolution. I currently have a GPS V that I will use until it dies, which will hopefully be a very long time as it's potential replacement (276 or 376 series) isn't particularly inexpensive.

I was given Overland Navigator for Christmas. I'm currently loading it on my Asus Eee netbook, which has a 10" diagonal screen and is 10.5" wide in total. I intend for this to be my new, large display GPS system. (I also use the Eee as the digi-pics repository, larger screen digi-pic viewing, emergency race radio re-programming, and for net access while on the road.) The O.N. program needs a GPS reciever, but the 'hockey puck' that Spacial Minds offers is nothing more than a magnetic based dongle on the end of a semi-long USB cable. Could probably also use one of the Gilsson GPS antennas, but I've not verified that. So two cables (power & 'antenna') comprise the total cable mess this system needs to function. One more than the GPS V needs, but the same as the Lowrance.

I tried a Lowrance Baja HD5 and well like you mentioned their complete lack of support and/or map source pretty much makes the unit useless (to me) and my chief navigator (my wife), so down the road it went. I found my Nuvi (couple of years old) was easier and at times more accurate than the Baja. I tried Overland Navigator on a laptop, loved the interface and maps, but the big glaring issue I found was that it is set up as a "North up" only configuration, which made it very difficult after many years of using track up to figure out what I was looking at (maybe I'm not that smart...)

So I am back to my Nuvi with my topos loaded.

Someday the perfect vehicle based GPS might come out, but I don't really expect it to. Something like the Montana with a 5 to 7" screen would be the bomb. I love the fact that when I hit the pavement, I switch map sources and the nuvi works for the road, when offroad, I switch to the topo map and I'm good to go. My problem is that my nuvi is too old to show much detail on topo settings. That's why I have an Oregon when on foot.

Jack

I went and looked at the Montana online and in hindsight, I should have spent the extra bucks. I think its a better unit than the Nuvi 550. That being said, if you work withing the software limitations of the 550, its a good unit too. Easy to see even with aging eyes and quite compact. I wish I had space for a notebook but by the time I mounted the brake controller and CB, there isn't a lot of space left between the seats of the Tundra for other toys. I still want to get a 2-m radio in there somewhere. I'm still second guessing my decision about not going for the factory GPS but it was an $1800 option and will be obsolete withing 2 years i'm sure.

Good luck with the decision.

I find the factory GPSs' in general are not much use offroad compared to the portable units. Plus I have not seen any yet that you can upload your custom routes and tracks, or download your tracks from. I admit I have not looked a the most recent cars in depth, but have seen several for 2004-2009 range.

My ham radio has a detachable face and I mount it under my passenger seat leaving room for my Zumo 550 GPS and IC706mkIIG control head on a post with RAM mounts over the driveline hump.

My wife's car has the overpriced facotry GPS and she loves it, It is still adequate 7 year later, gets an (very) occasional map update ($150 each time) but it is a pavement only car.

WhatI am surprised to see is the lack of Bluetooth stereo headphone connection through the car audio capability in cars equipped with cell phone bluetooth hands free option. The mono cell phone hands free is very common in recent years, and even the aux audio connector is common now since 2006-9, but not the bluetooth headphone feature.

Back
Top Bottom