Garmin Overlander

We like our Garmin Overlander even though we haven't (yet) downloaded any maps on to it or frankly used any of it's more sophisticated features. We do appreciate the built-in iOverlander app...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Following

I did find this review with a Google search. Sounds like it might be worthwhile (maybe).
Thanks Mr. Sage! I've read and watched many of the reviews and such online. I'm especially interested on what our experienced members here on WTW have to say.

Durango1 said:
We like our Garmin Overlander even though we haven't (yet) downloaded any maps on to it or frankly used any of it's more sophisticated features. We do appreciate the built-in iOverlander app...
Thanks Durango1! I'm particularly interested in how it works out of the box, so your perspective is valuable.

I have had mine for quite s few years. IMHO it's ok and possibly better than many for exploring.

Having the Ioverlander DB in it is great.
Programming a route is horrible. for preplanning you use Explorer (web Based) while it may look great there by the time you get it downloaded and the overlander recalculates it its different.

if all you do is pick one waypoint to go to its routing is like any GPS it will get you there but maybe not the way you want to go.

I find it clumsy in its interface. while it has different map layers it also has 2 separate aps, the normal driving ap and the Explore ap that has the more detailed topo maps.

I found the maps to be inadequate the further north i got, (I may not have downloaded the right maps)

The last thing that may be a concern is continued support from Garmin. The Overlander has been around for a while. IIt looks to me they are pushing the Tread Overland edition more. I have not seen much about the tread, it uses yet another AP/Web interface.

I would like to see another product that has an offline system to program it and uses the same routing program.

As much as I love to hate my Garmins they do seem to be the best out there. Most of what I use them for is to know where I am. I don't follow instructions or routes well.

I haven't used the Overlander model, but have used several other Garmin units. I'm curious what it has that a smart phone doesn't have? It looks rugged, that's a plus. The $700 cost is a minus. How do you update the maps? Garmin interfaces on several of my devices were a bit confusing, but I got used to them. Garmin bought InReach some time ago, but that device is poor for navigation.

What does the Overlander have over a regular auto GPS device?

The nice thing about phones is they are continuously updated. Planning at home using CalTopo is wonderful, and it shows up. I load Google maps onto the phone for remote areas, topographic maps for hiking, and different layers for CalTopo like the MVUM (motor vehicle use map) for roads, mapbuilder overlay for up-to-date roads, cell phone coverage maps, and of course topo maps. We also use the iOverlander app on the phones -- it works out of cell range. Sometimes I also load the 2016 Forest Service maps, and for national parks the park service maps.

The big issue with phones is battery life, but while driving it's not really an issue. For hiking, I carry my worn-out old phone as primary navigation device, and my new phone as backup. My wife also has a phone, so we have more redundancy (and they are our cameras too). Even better redundancy is paper maps. My hiking Garmin GPS unit had much better battery life than the older phones, but I stopped using it up years ago.

I used to poo-poo GPS devices and smartphones, but wish I hadn't!

one big thing the Overlander has over a smart phone is screen size.

I have met people using a tablet for navigation, I think many of them need a separate GPS receiver.

I stopped using Google maps for a longer trip. I had picked an alternate route I knew and while on it Google decided I was wrong and rerouted me, with out notification.

I have Avenza loaded on my phone and find it good for location, it doesn't do navigation (I think). but you can download a lot of different maps including the MVUM and lots of different Topo's for free. I like looking at the historical topo's

Ioverlander works without cell service but with no maps.

Screen size is a plus for the Overlander, especially if you don't have a right-seat navigator. We had an Android tablet that worked, but an operating system updated killed its performance. We switched to an iPad, but was surprised the non-cell version didn't read the satellites. Arg!!

We put intermediate destinations when we want to force Google maps on a long route, which helps keep it on course. But it eats batteries, so don't leave the phone app navigating on a long drive the whole way. Plus for a dedicated car navigation device.

I just now put my phone in airplane mode. In iOverlander, I found a nearby campsite and clicked on "Google Maps" at the bottom. It routed since I had previously downloaded that area of Google maps.

It's a plus for smart phones that you can switch between apps, each with its strengths and weaknesses. I use about a half dozen nav apps. On a computer you can plan a route, for example with RideWithGPS or CalTopo/Gaia, and export it to most of the others. Garmin has its own app, but it doesn't seem as easy to use. None of my bike riding buddies use the Garmin app. Maybe it's improved? Can you transfer a route from a home computer to the Overlander?

it's a reserved yes on transfering a route from PC to Overlander.

Because the route planning is done with there Web AP (Explorer) and then synced to the Overlander with WiFi.

I made a lot of effort to do this and what happpens is the data sent is just the waypoints etc. Then the Overlander calculates the route.

I never have the route come out the way I want it unless I spend even more time inserting waypoints and shaping points.

At least with the older generation Garmins you could use Basecamp which was completely offline, but still has the recalculation issues.

I need to look at Caltopo, I know nothing about it but have seen it mentioned.

I do know I can use my inreach as a GPS reciever and bluetooth it to my Ipad for location.

The Tread Overland has the inreach built in but I don't see that working when you leave the vehicle on a hike.

Thank you to all for your helpful responses! We are lucky to have such a great group here.

First off, I know how to navigate and trip plan and get to where I want to go.

I do not own a smartphone and navigation will not be based on that or tied to cell service. Note - I do have a flip cell phone in the console between the seats for emergency. I don't remember the phone number. I check the battery and if it still works every couple of months. Julie has a smartphone that we use in civilization (Google Maps) to find laundry and groceries. She is learning to take photos with it.

The reason I'm looking at/considering the Garmin Overlander is for the times during a trip we might just want to change plans and have a navigation tool and database at hand.

The main issue I see, from my research thus far, is that MVUM is not in the map software. Perhaps this will be in a future update? Or, as noted above, maybe Garmin will phase out the Overlander in favor of the more expensive Garmin Tread Overland.

My issue with the new Garmin Tread Overland device is the incorporated InReach device. I already own an InReach and the vast majority of my InReach use is away from the vehicle. Having the InReach tied to a large navigation tool does not suit my needs. And, I'm far too frugal (fancy word for cheap) to pay for something I will not use.

Thanks again to all!

Also, sorry for the delayed response. Julie and I have been away, off the grid, and having a great deal of fun.

dumb question - would it be that big of a problem if you had in-reach on the truck gps, and portable one you currently have?

will be following your search here.
greg

goinoregon said:
dumb question - would it be that big of a problem if you had in-reach on the truck gps, and portable one you currently have?

greg
From what I've read, each InReach device will require its own, separate, paid subscription to operate. They cannot be combined into one service. That sets off my frugal meter.

The Garmin website says it pairs with an InReach (so it doesn't have its own satellite communication). For our mini Inreach, you need to do a Bluetooth pair to one device at time. So you'd have to "forget" one device, pair to the other, then "forget" again when switching back. Maybe other inReach units can pair to multiple devices? It seems unlikely though. Here's what the website says:

INREACH® COMPATIBLE

Pair your Overlander navigator with the inReach satellite communicators2 (sold separately) for two-way text messaging, interactive SOS and weather forecasts.

goinoregon said:

greg

ski3pin said:
From what I've read, each InReach device will require its own, separate, paid subscription to operate. They cannot be combined into one service. That sets off my frugal meter.
I answered as I did as I believe Greg was asking about the GPS unit integrated into Garmin Tread Overland. I may be wrong and apologize if I am.

Ah, so Garmin has another device with inReach built in -- the Tread. Ignore my previous comment, my bad!

We just got a new phone with satellite emergency capability. But you can't send out regular updates to your emergency followers like an inReach. The first two years coverage is free (but the phone pretty expensive). I hope we don't have to use it, but it's a backup device. There's so many dang gadgets these days.

An update. I found a preowned Overlander at a price I'd pay to check it out. The fellow would not ship. I did not buy. I'll watch if any great savings show up for the holidays. No retailers have it in stock so I cannot physically look at one, a major issue with Internet buying.

In the meantime, I am trying out Gaia GPS on my 8" tablet. We will test it in the field if is an improvement over what we currently use.

if the preowned one is somewhere in southern wash, or oregon, let me know, and i can pick up and mail :)
or, can u just send the fellow a pre-addressed box/bag, ?

Back
Top Bottom